Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
<gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! (/Thread-gasp-Masters-CBE-options-at-U-of-Phoenix)

Pages: 1 2

<gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - bjcheung77 - 03-07-2021

So, I was updating my records with University of Phoenix, I wanted to see if they still offer a BS in Environmental Science...
I came across their site and noticed they now offer relatively quick Masters (MBA, MHA, MIS) programs for about $10/11K...

The BS EVS is the only program I am intersted in at the Bachelors Level: https://www.phoenix.edu/degrees/sciences/environmental-science/bs-evs.html
They are a cheaper/easier/faster option than some smaller non CBE based degree providers, if you can get past their reputation, this is an alright price.

CBE Link: https://www.phoenix.edu/degrees/competency-based-education.html
What CBE programs are offered?

Master of Business Administration – Complete in less than 12 months and for under $10,000.
    Master of Information Systems – Complete in less than 12 months and for under $11,000.
    Master of Health Administration – Complete in less than 12 months and for under $11,000.
    Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Complete in less than 12 months and for under $10,000.

RE: <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - rachel83az - 03-07-2021

Isn't University of Phoenix still NA and not RA? It may not be as important for Americans but it'd be something to keep in mind for people who are pursuing a Master's for US/Canadian immigration purposes.

RE: <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - dbinghamjr - 03-07-2021

I noticed their CBE BSN a while ago, but what confused me is you still pay per credit, and now that I've looked closer it sounds like you're not accelerating at all (their site says you take 4 classes in a 16 week term). So you just get the benefit of a one-and-done assessment kinda thing, but no cost savings, very little acceleration potential (traditional UoPX courses are only 5-6 weeks).

If they were offering something more akin to WGU (accelerate as much as you like, flat fee per term, etc) I'd be a little more interested, since they seem to be very alt-credit friendly.

Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - harrypotter - 03-07-2021

(03-07-2021, 06:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Isn't University of Phoenix still NA and not RA? It may not be as important for Americans but it'd be something to keep in mind for people who are pursuing a Master's for US/Canadian immigration purposes.

They’ve been RA since 78. Which surprised me - I thought they got RA in the 90s or 00s.

RE: <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - Thorne - 03-07-2021

Well, if my old contacts are serious, UoP's coursework is among the easiest for all US schools. A buddy of mine got his MBA there (paid for by his GI Bill) and said he basically had to do some quizzes and write one 5-6 page paper per class to pull a B+/A-

RE: Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - ashkir - 03-07-2021

(03-07-2021, 07:28 PM)harrypotter Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 06:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Isn't University of Phoenix still NA and not RA? It may not be as important for Americans but it'd be something to keep in mind for people who are pursuing a Master's for US/Canadian immigration purposes.

They’ve been RA since 78. Which surprised me - I thought they got RA in the 90s or 00s.

Agreed. Back in the mid 2000s to early 2010s University of Phoenix was put on probation They had a huge lack of autonomy from their holding company, money laundering issues, and tried to develop themselves into a pure diploma mill with 300k students at one time. 

They recovered from probation and are rebuilding their reputation, which they badly hurt.

RE: <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - dfrecore - 03-07-2021

They've always been RA, as far as I know.  RA with a bad rep, but still RA (Edit: they started in 76, and became RA in 78).

Their Business degrees are also ACBSP, and the rest of their programs have good programatic accreditation as well.

RE: <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - eLearner - 03-08-2021

Oh, for cripe's sake. Don't go to University of Phoenix. I'm pretty liberal when it comes to school choices, but even I can't support this one.

RE: <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - SweetSecret - 03-08-2021

(03-08-2021, 12:24 AM)eLearner Wrote: Oh, for cripe's sake. Don't go to University of Phoenix. I'm pretty liberal when it comes to school choices, but even I can't support this one.
That's pretty much how I feel too. They really messed up their reputation.

RE: <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! - rachel83az - 03-08-2021

They're RA? Huh, I could've sworn that they were NA. But, yeah, they've certainly got a terrible reputation. I'm surprised that they were able to keep their RA status with how they were acting. I don't pretend to know everything that was going on but I would agree that you shouldn't go to University of Phoenix unless you have no other choice. Even then, you should seriously reconsider.