Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
UMPI BLS MIS - curriculum? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: UMPI BLS MIS - curriculum? (/Thread-UMPI-BLS-MIS-curriculum)

UMPI BLS MIS - curriculum? - reylok - 03-31-2021

I am trying to understand what courses you have to take for the UMPI "Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor".

On this page, https://online.umpi.edu/programs/bls-management-information-systems-minor.aspx

They list 40 GEN ED hours, 6 BUS classes, and 62 GEN ELECT hours.  Are there no specific requirements for math, science, etc?

If you signed up, without transferring any credits, how long would it take if you just worked through all the classes?

I'm still trying to grok what is unique about UMPI.  How does it compare something like NAU PL (which is a ton of essays, from what I read)? Or WGU (which tends to be a lot of certs)?

Quote:Students must complete a minimum of 40 credits hours of general education courses.
BUS 141: Introduction to Project Management with Microsoft Projects
BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing
BUS 244: Management Information Systems
BUS 245: Programming for Managers
BUS 345: Database Management Systems
BUS 440: Business Analytics
Students must take 62 credit hours of general elective courses.

RE: UMPI BLS MIS - curriculum? - dfrecore - 03-31-2021

(03-31-2021, 01:41 PM)reylok Wrote: I am trying to understand what courses you have to take for the UMPI "Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor".

On this page, https://online.umpi.edu/programs/bls-management-information-systems-minor.aspx

They list 40 GEN ED hours, 6 BUS classes, and 62 GEN ELECT hours.  Are there no specific requirements for math, science, etc?

If you signed up, without transferring any credits, how long would it take if you just worked through all the classes?

I'm still trying to grok what is unique about UMPI.  How does it compare something like NAU PL (which is a ton of essays, from what I read)? Or WGU (which tends to be a lot of certs)?

Quote:Students must complete a minimum of 40 credits hours of general education courses.
BUS 141: Introduction to Project Management with Microsoft Projects
BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing
BUS 244: Management Information Systems
BUS 245: Programming for Managers
BUS 345: Database Management Systems
BUS 440: Business Analytics
Students must take 62 credit hours of general elective courses.

In comparing it to WGU, you'd only have a lot of certs if you were doing an IT degree.  Business degrees don't have any certs that I know of.  Also, WGU doesn't have a BALS degree, UMPI does.

Also, WGU doesn't allow for any electives - they're about 30% GE / 70% major.  UMPI for that particular degree is 33% GE / 35% major / 32% Free Electives.  Huge difference in what you can bring in.

I would say that for someone who is going to bring in zero credits, it's a toss-up depending on the degree.  But if you have a lot of credits to bring in, or certs, it really just depends on what they are (my husband has an AA and an AWS cert, so he actually came out way ahead doing Purdue Global's Cloud degree over WGU's Cloud degree - ALL of his AA credits counted, as well as the cert coming in for a full 30% of his degree).

RE: UMPI BLS MIS - curriculum? - ashkir - 03-31-2021

If you have no credits sign up for Sophia.org and do everything except for English Composition there. That'd let you transfer in pretty much all of the GEC. Then go to Study.com and take Biology with Lab.

RE: UMPI BLS MIS - curriculum? - dfrecore - 03-31-2021

(03-31-2021, 09:24 PM)ashkir Wrote: If you have no credits sign up for Sophia.org and do everything except for English Composition there. That'd let you transfer in pretty much all of the GEC. Then go to Study.com and take Biology with Lab.

While you're at Study.com and taking 1 course, take something else while you're at it (you're paying for 2).  You'll have to pay an extra $40 for the virtual lab, but you'd pay that whether you took 1 course or 2.  Get the most bang for your buck!  I'd take something that you need anyway.

RE: UMPI BLS MIS - curriculum? - reylok - 04-02-2021

(03-31-2021, 09:24 PM)ashkir Wrote: If you have no credits sign up for Sophia.org and do everything except for English Composition there. That'd let you transfer in pretty much all of the GEC. Then go to Study.com and take Biology with Lab.

Why not just take the classes at UMPI?

RE: UMPI BLS MIS - curriculum? - ashkir - 04-02-2021

(04-02-2021, 01:49 AM)reylok Wrote:

Ifyou do Biology at UMPI, expect it to take nearly an entire session for it. Ask for it be added towards the beginning. The professor has a lot of "pauses" and she's very strict and very thorough.

RE: UMPI BLS MIS - curriculum? - rachel83az - 04-02-2021

(04-02-2021, 01:49 AM)reylok Wrote:

Because it's cheaper to take a bunch of stuff at Sophia rather than UMPI. Transfering in Biology is just to make sure that you're not stuck doing a ridiculous amount of work for it. You could do everything at UMPI but it would take longer, cost more, and not be very efficient.