Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please (/Thread-Clarification-on-Accounting-Courses-Please)

Pages: 1 2

Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - k-k-k-katy - 05-01-2021

Could someone clarify Accounting requirements for (TESU) BSBA - Marketing for me?  Am I correct that there are 2 accounting courses required for this degree:  Financial Accounting requirement and a Managerial Accounting requirement?

Already signed up with Sophia so will use Sophia Financial Accounting.  I hope I am right that this comes in at TESU as FIN-101.

Also, I can't find the thread again but I *think* I read on here that StraighterLine Accounting II fulfills Managerial Accounting.  Is that right?  Does it really come in as FIN-102?

Is there a review or any advice for someone with only Sophia experience to take a StraighterLine course?  Is this one of the "open-book" StraighterLine courses I have heard about?  Thank you!

RE: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - dfrecore - 05-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 07:55 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote: Could someone clarify Accounting requirements for (TESU) BSBA - Marketing for me?  Am I correct that there are 2 accounting courses required for this degree:  Financial Accounting requirement and a Managerial Accounting requirement?

Already signed up with Sophia so will use Sophia Financial Accounting.  I hope I am right that this comes in at TESU as FIN-101.

Also, I can't find the thread again but I *think* I read on here that StraighterLine Accounting II fulfills Managerial Accounting.  Is that right?  Does it really come in as FIN-102?

Is there a review or any advice for someone with only Sophia experience to take a StraighterLine course?  Is this one of the "open-book" StraighterLine courses I have heard about?  Thank you!

The Sophia Accounting course comes into TESU as ACC-101: Financial Accounting.

And then you can use multiple providers for the ACC-102: Managerial Accounting requirement:
 - SL - Accounting II
 - Study.com -  ACC 102: Intro to Managerial Accounting
 - Saylor - BUS105: Managerial Accounting
 - UExcel - ACCx212: Managerial Accounting
 - TECEP - Principles of Managerial Accounting
 - Davar - ACCT-302: Accounting for Management
 - Coopersmith - ACC-102: Principles of Accounting II

RE: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - k-k-k-katy - 05-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 08:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 07:55 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote: Could someone clarify Accounting requirements for (TESU) BSBA - Marketing for me?  Am I correct that there are 2 accounting courses required for this degree:  Financial Accounting requirement and a Managerial Accounting requirement?

And then you can use multiple providers for the ACC-102: Managerial Accounting requirement:
 - SL - Accounting II

Thank you very much!  Is there one Accounting II course that gets better reviews than others?  Is there one provider that is more like Sophia than the others?

RE: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - dfrecore - 05-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 09:24 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:

- SL - Accounting II

Thank you very much!  Is there one Accounting II course that gets better reviews than others?  Is there one provider that is more like Sophia than the others?

I'd say Study.com is closest.  It's video-based (although you can read the transcript instead), and grade is based on ⅓ quizzes, ⅔ final exam.

SL is a textbook-based course, and is graded 50% on 4 exams, 20% on a midterm, and 30% on a final exam (this course; some courses have different breakdowns).

Saylor, UExcel, TECEP, Davar & Coopersmith are all graded 100% on a single exam.

RE: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - k-k-k-katy - 05-02-2021

(05-01-2021, 10:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 09:24 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:

- SL - Accounting II

I'd say Study.com is closest.  It's video-based (although you can read the transcript instead), and grade is based on ⅓ quizzes, ⅔ final exam.

SL is a textbook-based course, and is graded 50% on 4 exams, 20% on a midterm, and 30% on a final exam (this course; some courses have different breakdowns).

Saylor, UExcel, TECEP, Davar & Coopersmith are all graded 100% on a single exam.

Thanks, I'll look at these options.  I don't really watch the available videos for Sophia, I'm a visual/reader/learner I guess.  I'm not a happy tester, extreme test anxiety issues, so probably SDC or SL would be better choices.  Wish there was an option like Sophia all the way through, that would be wonderful.  Appreciate the input and your time and kindness.

RE: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - rachel83az - 05-02-2021

SL is a live proctor (via ProctorU) while SDC is a recorded proctor (via RPNow). Personally, I prefer the recorded proctor because live proctoring feels like a huge hassle. SDC gives me much less test anxiety.

RE: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - ss20ts - 05-02-2021

Does TESU accept InstantCert's Managerial Accounting course for the Managerial Accounting requirement?

RE: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - dfrecore - 05-02-2021

(05-02-2021, 02:06 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Does TESU accept InstantCert's Managerial Accounting course for the Managerial Accounting requirement?

I've read on here that they don't - it's UL via ACE, and they bring it in as ACC-312.  But that may have changed, or I could have it wrong.

RE: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - LevelUP - 05-02-2021

SL Accounting II is open book for everything.  Final exam is only worth 20% of your grade so you know if you passed or not before you take the final.  1st exam you can retake as many times as you like. 

Study.com you need a 55% grade on the final considering you average 100% on the quizzes.

I took SL accounting, not bad.  Imagine the study.com one take around the same time.

RE: Clarification on Accounting Courses, Please - k-k-k-katy - 05-03-2021

(05-02-2021, 05:25 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

SL Accounting II is open book for everything.  Final exam is only worth 20% of your grade so you know if you passed or not before you take the final.  1st exam you can retake as many times as you like. 

Study.com you need a 55% grade on the final considering you average 100% on the quizzes.

I took SL accounting, not bad.  Imagine the study.com one take around the same time.
I really appreciate the perspectives and input!