Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
UMPI course fulfillment - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: UMPI course fulfillment (/Thread-UMPI-course-fulfillment)

Pages: 1 2

UMPI course fulfillment - carebear_007 - 05-03-2021

Is there a limit on how many requirements 1 course can fulfill? For instance, in the BABA plan, can Mat 140 fulfill the Gen Ed requirement for 3A and 3B plus fulfill the Major requirement?

RE: UMPI course fulfillment - rachel83az - 05-03-2021

I think that UMPI is like other schools where once a course fulfills a requirement you need a different course to fill another requirement. For instance, once MAT140 is "used" then you have to take a different math class to fill other requirements.

RE: UMPI course fulfillment - ashkir - 05-03-2021

For the GEC there's a lot of "hidden" overlaps which is why BIO 105 is used versus BIO 101 or BIO 103, because it applies to 2-3 GECs in the major, but transfer equivalents come in as meeting multiples. The most I've seen was 3 different GECs being covered

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=f99b09c11c7947529056edd33d00a0c4

RE: UMPI course fulfillment - dfrecore - 05-03-2021

My guess is, if you use a course in the GEC, then you can't use it in the major, and vice versa. Since MAT 140 is required in the major, then you have to use something else in the GEC.

RE: UMPI course fulfillment - carebear_007 - 05-03-2021

(05-03-2021, 05:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: My guess is, if you use a course in the GEC, then you can't use it in the major, and vice versa.  Since MAT 140 is required in the major, then you have to use something else in the GEC.

It does state specifically on the program that Mat 140 also meets GEC requirement. But 3A and 3B both have it as a requirement so I wasn't sure if it would only meet one of them. Basically, I'm trying to see if I can avoid having to take statistics  Big Grin

RE: UMPI course fulfillment - ss20ts - 05-03-2021

(05-03-2021, 05:18 PM)carebear_007 Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 05:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: My guess is, if you use a course in the GEC, then you can't use it in the major, and vice versa.  Since MAT 140 is required in the major, then you have to use something else in the GEC.

It does state specifically on the program that Mat 140 also meets GEC requirement. But 3A and 3B both have it as a requirement so I wasn't sure if it would only meet one of them. Basically, I'm trying to see if I can avoid having to take statistics  Big Grin

Do you plan on going to grad school? If you are even thinking about it, you should definitely check and see if stats is a requirement.

RE: UMPI course fulfillment - dfrecore - 05-03-2021

(05-03-2021, 05:18 PM)carebear_007 Wrote:

Ah - well, if it states it, then I guess no.

For the GEC, one course can meet multiple requirements, so I think you are fine.

RE: UMPI course fulfillment - dbinghamjr - 05-04-2021

One course can meet multiple GEC requirements, the only caveat is you need at least 40 credits within the GEC.

RE: UMPI course fulfillment - ashkir - 05-04-2021

They threw my College Algebra out and off my transcript from Sophia in favor of MAT 140 which fulfilled 3 requirements fyi

RE: UMPI course fulfillment - carebear_007 - 05-04-2021

(05-04-2021, 11:26 AM)ashkir Wrote: They threw my College Algebra out and off my transcript from Sophia in favor of MAT 140 which fulfilled 3 requirements fyi

This is the answer that I was looking for!  Big Grin It's something that's good to know. But I think I won't write off statistics yet and put it at the very end of my Sophia journey if I'm not all too burned out. ss20ts has a good point about grad school. I'd like to keep that option open.