Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree (/Thread-Help-with-my-path-to-a-Bachelor-s-Degree)

Pages: 1 2

Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - maredabear - 05-04-2021

Hello,
I have an Associates in Early Childhood Education but realized this past year that I want to pursue a different career path and a Bachelor's degree would open up more opportunities. I currently work full-time and I just stumbled upon this forum while looking for online options. What would you all suggest so I can get a bachelor's? 

Your Location: Laredo, Texas United States of America
Your Age:33

What kind of degree do you want?: Any Bachelor's 

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 

Laredo College: # 70 hours

KINE 1133, 1.000, A
ENGL 1301, 3.000, B
TECA 1311, 3.000, B
ENGL 1302, 3.00, A
MATH 1314, 3.00, A
SPCH 1311, 3.00, A
TECA 1318, 3.00, B
CDEC 1313, 3.00, A
TECA 1354, 3.00, A
CDEC 1319, 3.00, A
CDEC 1356, 3.00, A
CDEC 2187, 1.00, A
PSYC 2301, 3.00, A
CDEC 1358, 3.00,A
CDEC 1359, 3.00, B
CDEC 2188, 1.00, B
CDEC 2307, 3.00, A
CDEC 1321, 3.00, B
CDEC 2326, 3.00, C
CDEC 2486, 4.00, A
TECA 1303, 3.00, C
ENGL 2327, 3.00, B
MUSI 1306, 3.00, A
GEOL 1301, 3.00, A
SGNL 1301, 3.00, B

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

None, I didn't know this was a thing before this forum

Any certifications or military experience? 1-year certification for Early Childhood Education

RE: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - rachel83az - 05-04-2021

What career path are you hoping to pursue? There are a number of different options but it depends on what you want to do after graduation. Also, could you post the names of the courses (not just their numbers).

RE: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - bjcheung77 - 05-04-2021

You may want to get a degree locally or from your state as first choices, so here are a few examples you may investigate further. These examples are all "competency based education degrees" and you pay a set number of terms to finish the degree from them... The faster you finish, the cheaper it becomes, if you don't like CBE, you may want to check out the Big 3 and get a BSGS (COSC) BSLA (Excelsior) or BALS (TESU).

1) TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership - Each term of 7 weeks is just $750 for Texas Residents, this is a steal compared to non-residents. You should take a look at their transfer credit options. Link: https://new.tamuc.edu/programs/organizational-leadership-baas-orgl/

2) South Texas College has several CBE programs that are affordable for in district it's $850 and out of district it's $910.
For out of state, it's roughly $1500 for a 7 week term - I wonder if international students are charged this rate fee.
List of Fees/Tuition: https://catalog.southtexascollege.edu/tuition-fees/
List of Programs: https://www.southtexascollege.edu/academics/cbe/

Bachelor of Applied Technology in Computer and Information Technologies
Bachelor of Applied Technology in Medical and Health Services Management
Bachelor of Applied Science in Organizational Leadership
Bachelor of Applied Technology in Technology Management

3) UMPI YourPace Programs - transfer in 90 credits and finish in 2-3 terms for cheap! https://online.umpi.edu/programs/programs.aspx
4) Walden Temp Learning - transfer in 90 credits and finish in 2-3 terms for cheap! https://www.waldenu.edu/why-walden/flexibility
5) (NOT CBE) Bachelors of Applied Arts & Sciences from the University of North Texas - https://www.coursera.org/degrees/unt-online-bachelor-completion

Remember to take a look at Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College, Thomas Edison State University as you only need 2 courses from them and can transfer everything else in. These are the only truly test-out-able degree providers where you can transfer in 113/114 credits. They are a good option if you're not into CBE and don't want to "rush yourself".

RE: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - dfrecore - 05-04-2021

I would say that it depends on which degree you want, how you want to do it (regular or competency-based) and what your budget is as to what advice we give.

Cheapest will be COSC's BSLS w/concentration in probably Psych and Business; or UMPI's BLS w/minor in whichever one you choose.  Those will probably also be the fastest.  You have 39 credits of what each school would consider to be "free electives" and 24cr in what each school would consider to be Gen Ed (and fulfill a lot of requirements) so either is a good option.

If you want something else, it will really just depend.

UMPI may be the easiest/cheapest option:

Sophia
---------------------------
GEC courses still needed:
Intro to Ethics
Intro to Sociology
US History I or II
Conflict Resolution or Environmental Science

Non-GEC courses:
Ancient Greek Philosophers (take prior to Ethics)
Developing Effective Teams (1cr - fast & easy)
The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr - fast & easy)
Intro to IT (fast & easy)
1 additional course that's non-duplicating if your minor is only 6 courses

Study.com
American Government
Biology w/Lab (extra $50 for virtual lab)

UMPI
Hands-on art
minor coursework (6-7 courses)
3-4 additional courses depending on minor

RE: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - Alpha - 05-05-2021

I'm going to be a tiny bit difficult right now because I think you've said a couple of things that might be contradictory, or , at least I don't quite understand your situation.  First, you have an AA in ECE and you're working full-time (I suppose in that field) . . . and you've discovered you don't like it very much and you want to switch careers, getting a Bachelors in the process.  But then you say that you want to get "any Bachelors"  It's an important point I think because the easiest Bachelors to get would probably be a BA in ECE.  If you did that would it help your situation?  At least it's a BA.  Would it be better or worse to get a BA in General Studies or Liberal Arts?  Because that's probably going to be the second easiest BA for you.  Is a BA in Liberal Arts going to improve your situation?  Does it need to be more specific?  The next options are likely to be 1) Business and 2) Psychology.  They are probably the two most common Bachelors degrees offered online and can also be done by "testing out."  How do you react to those ideas?  Your immediate reaction is likely to be indicative of your long-term preferences.  And it's helpful to know because if you simply make a random choice then it's likely that you will spend more time and energy correcting that mistake in the future.  It's worth it to take some time, peruse some websites, looking at course descriptions and get a sense of whether you might actually enjoy the courses.  And if somehow it really doesn't matter which degree you earn  then you can either go for the easiest fastest route or you could get a degree in something that has always captured your attention
Unusual College Degrees (insider.com)
I'm really just joking about those degrees.  It's just to make a point.  I just think it would be a good idea to put some more thought into it up front so that you're more likely to be pleased with the final outcome.  Beyond all that, your basic plan is perfectly sound and a lot of people have done exactly what you're planning.  Best of luck.

RE: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - dfrecore - 05-05-2021

(05-05-2021, 07:24 AM)Alpha Wrote: I'm going to be a tiny bit difficult right now because I think you've said a couple of things that might be contradictory, or , at least I don't quite understand your situation.  First, you have an AA in ECE and you're working full-time (I suppose in that field) . . . and you've discovered you don't like it very much and you want to switch careers, getting a Bachelors in the process.  But then you say that you want to get "any Bachelors"  It's an important point I think because the easiest Bachelors to get would probably be a BA in ECE.  If you did that would it help your situation?  At least it's a BA.  Would it be better or worse to get a BA in General Studies or Liberal Arts?  Because that's probably going to be the second easiest BA for you.  Is a BA in Liberal Arts going to improve your situation?  Does it need to be more specific?  The next options are likely to be 1) Business and 2) Psychology.  They are probably the two most common Bachelors degrees offered online and can also be done by "testing out."  How do you react to those ideas?  Your immediate reaction is likely to be indicative of your long-term preferences.  And it's helpful to know because if you simply make a random choice then it's likely that you will spend more time and energy correcting that mistake in the future.  It's worth it to take some time, peruse some websites, looking at course descriptions and get a sense of whether you might actually enjoy the courses.  And if somehow it really doesn't matter which degree you earn  then you can either go for the easiest fastest route or you could get a degree in something that has always captured your attention
I'm really just joking about those degrees.  It's just to make a point.  I just think it would be a good idea to put some more thought into it up front so that you're more likely to be pleased with the final outcome.  Beyond all that, your basic plan is perfectly sound and a lot of people have done exactly what you're planning.  Best of luck.

I agree with almost everything here; the one thing I disagree with it that the ECE bachelor's degree will probably NOT be the easiest degree to get - you'll need a bunch of UL ECE courses, which are difficult to find inexpensively.  I think that will be one of the more difficult, more expensive degrees to get.

RE: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - maredabear - 05-05-2021

(05-05-2021, 10:55 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 07:24 AM)Alpha Wrote: I'm going to be a tiny bit difficult right now because I think you've said a couple of things that might be contradictory, or , at least I don't quite understand your situation.  First, you have an AA in ECE and you're working full-time (I suppose in that field) . . . and you've discovered you don't like it very much and you want to switch careers, getting a Bachelors in the process.  But then you say that you want to get "any Bachelors"  It's an important point I think because the easiest Bachelors to get would probably be a BA in ECE.  If you did that would it help your situation?  At least it's a BA.  Would it be better or worse to get a BA in General Studies or Liberal Arts?  Because that's probably going to be the second easiest BA for you.  Is a BA in Liberal Arts going to improve your situation?  Does it need to be more specific?  The next options are likely to be 1) Business and 2) Psychology.  They are probably the two most common Bachelors degrees offered online and can also be done by "testing out."  How do you react to those ideas?  Your immediate reaction is likely to be indicative of your long-term preferences.  And it's helpful to know because if you simply make a random choice then it's likely that you will spend more time and energy correcting that mistake in the future.  It's worth it to take some time, peruse some websites, looking at course descriptions and get a sense of whether you might actually enjoy the courses.  And if somehow it really doesn't matter which degree you earn  then you can either go for the easiest fastest route or you could get a degree in something that has always captured your attention

I agree with almost everything here; the one thing I disagree with it that the ECE bachelor's degree will probably NOT be the easiest degree to get - you'll need a bunch of UL ECE courses, which are difficult to find inexpensively.  I think that will be one of the more difficult, more expensive degrees to get.

Let me clarify, I work for a model preschool in a Community College, students come here for internships and we provide childcare services for the college. Due to the pandemic, the preschool was closed down and we were relocated into different departments while we wait for the center to reopen. I am working an office job currently in safety and risk management and this time away has given me time to reflect. I would like to work in a library. How would I go about that?

(05-04-2021, 02:29 PM)rachel83az Wrote: What career path are you hoping to pursue? There are a number of different options but it depends on what you want to do after graduation. Also, could you post the names of the courses (not just their numbers).

I would really like to work in a library or some type of archival position. Let me figure out how to edit my post to add the course names and specify.

Here are the Credits updated

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 
Laredo College: # 70 hours
KINE 1133 Bowling I , 1.000, A
ENGL 1301 Composition I, 3.000, B
TECA 1311 Educating Young Children3.000, B
ENGL 1302 Composition II, 3.00, A
MATH 1314 College Algebra, 3.00, A
SPCH 1311 Intro to Speech Communicatn, 3.00, A
TECA 1318 Wellness of the Young Child, 3.00, B
CDEC 1313 Curr Resrces Early Chldhd Prog, 3.00, A
TECA 1354 Child Growth and Development, 3.00, A
CDEC 1319 Child Guidance, 3.00, A
CDEC 1356 Emrgnt Literacy Early Chldhd, 3.00, A
CDEC 2187 Internship Child Care Prvdr, 1.00, A
PSYC 2301 General Psychology, 3.00, A
CDEC 1358 Creative Arts Early Chldhd, 3.00,A
CDEC 1359 Children with Special Needs, 3.00, B
CDEC 2188 Internship Child Care Prvdr, 1.00, B
CDEC 2307 Math Sci for Early Childhood, 3.00, A
CDEC 1321 The Infant and Toddler, 3.00, B
CDEC 2326 Adm of Progs for Children I, 3.00, C
CDEC 2486 Internship CD Early Childhd, 4.00, A
TECA 1303 Family School and Community, 3.00, C
ENGL 2327 American Literature I, 3.00, B
MUSI 1306 Music Appreciation, 3.00, A
GEOL 1301 Earth Sci Non Sci Majors I, 3.00, A
SGNL 1301 Beginng American Sign Lang I, 3.00, B

RE: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - Flelm - 05-05-2021

I don't know a lot of firm details about libraries, but the BLS suggests you need to aim for a Masters of Library Science.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/librarians.htm#tab-4

RE: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - maredabear - 05-05-2021

I have an Associates in Early Childhood Education and I work at the Local College's model preschool, but due to the pandemic, the teachers were relocated to several different office jobs while we wait for the center to reopen. While working these several odd office jobs this past year I realized that I want to pursue a different career path and a Bachelor's degree would open up more opportunities. I currently work full-time; What would you all suggest so I can get a bachelor's? 
----------------------------
Here is more specifics on myself

RE: Help with my path to a Bachelor's Degree - bjcheung77 - 05-05-2021

Hmm, interesting, this just went full circle and back to the original post - finding the program/school to get the desired degree... For the cost, ease, and speed to finish, you should do a Bachelors and Masters combo that's competency based... UMPI YourPace BLS with minor in education, Walden Tempo Masters in Early Childhood Education. You can then get a cert in Library Science from the local community college or university.