Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
ACE Credit Expirations - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: ACE Credit Expirations (/Thread-ACE-Credit-Expirations)

Pages: 1 2

ACE Credit Expirations - GlacierLily - 05-18-2021

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and about to begin working toward a BSBA-Accounting through WGU. I am starting with no college credit, and am very thankful for this forum to help me begin this journey! (I plan to utilize the cheaper options for generals/LL credits to later transfer into WGU.)

Question: I've just discovered the ACE website and the active and expiration dates for certain courses. What does it mean when a course expires? If I am able to take the exam before the course expires, will my credit be "locked in" for transferring over, say, another 1-2 years down the road? Thank you for helping me understand this. Smile

RE: ACE Credit Expirations - dfrecore - 05-18-2021

(05-18-2021, 12:29 PM)GlacierLily Wrote: Hi, I'm new to the forum, and about to begin working toward a BSBA-Accounting through WGU. I am starting with no college credit, and am very thankful for this forum to help me begin this journey! (I plan to utilize the cheaper options for generals/LL credits to later transfer into WGU.)

Question: I've just discovered the ACE website and the active and expiration dates for certain courses. What does it mean when a course expires? If I am able to take the exam before the course expires, will my credit be "locked in" for transferring over, say, another 1-2 years down the road? Thank you for helping me understand this. Smile

Yes - if you take a course when it's ACE-recommended date you're fine.

It's like if you took a course at a college that they offered this semester, then stopped offering it.  You took it when it was "good" and it will stay "good" forever.

Once you take a course and get it put on your ACE/Credly transcript, you are good to go.

RE: ACE Credit Expirations - GlacierLily - 05-18-2021

Thank you!

RE: ACE Credit Expirations - bjcheung77 - 05-18-2021

Yes, when you have ACE recommendation you're good to go, I would recommend you to create an Acclaim/Credly account if you haven't done so already.

Also: Just wondering how you decided on taking the Accounting degree at WGU instead of another Competency Based Education university such as UMPI?

I think UMPI would be cheaper/easier/faster for the Accounting degree due to max transfers and if you ever wanted to get a MS Accounting, WGU would be the option to go...

Thank you! I'll look into creating an Acclaim/Credly account.

I chose WGU because I know a couple people who have studied there, and highly recommended it. I also did a little comparing around and it seemed to come out as the cheapest option of the schools I compared. Thanks for letting me know about UMPI, though. I had not included them in the comparison. I'll take a look.

RE: ACE Credit Expirations - freeloader - 05-18-2021

(05-18-2021, 12:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, when you have ACE recommendation you're good to go, I would recommend you to create an Acclaim/Credly account if you haven't done so already.

Also: Just wondering how you decided on taking the Accounting degree at WGU instead of another Competency Based Education university such as UMPI?

I think UMPI would be cheaper/easier/faster for the Accounting degree due to max transfers and if you ever wanted to get a MS Accounting, WGU would be the option to go...

I looked into WGU for an accounting degree.  My biggest issue was that you had to complete basically all of the accounting courses with WGU. When I looked into it, they would only give you transfer credit for the first accounting course, Principles of Financial and Managerial Accounting.  Too rigid for me!

RE: ACE Credit Expirations - bjcheung77 - 05-18-2021

Ding Ding!  That's what I mentioned earlier, max transfers of credits.  Not only those transfer credits but also the general education/free electives and some of the area of study can be transferred into the UMPI Accounting degree.  There are 3 major pros vs WGU: 1) Cost, the entire degree will cost less than a term at WGU  2) Transfer credits - you can transfer a max of 90 to each university, but UMPI has much better transfer options   3) Flexibility, options to add minors to the degree

Nice! I will definitely keep UMPI in mind. I spoke with an enrollment counselor at WGU yesterday, and was told that they actually allow a max of 60 credits to transfer. (I made sure to communicate to the enrollment counselor that I'm not ready to enroll yet, and that I want to earn some credits first.)

RE: ACE Credit Expirations - ss20ts - 05-18-2021

(05-18-2021, 02:13 PM)GlacierLily Wrote: Nice! I will definitely keep UMPI in mind. I spoke with an enrollment counselor at WGU yesterday, and was told that they actually allow a max of 60 credits to transfer. (I made sure to communicate to the enrollment counselor that I'm not ready to enroll yet, and that I want to earn some credits first.)

They like to tell you how many credits are transferable to WGU but then there's reality. They don't have a lot of gen eds so that's one way they decrease transfer credit. They have classes you can only take from them and nothing else from any other school will transfer in to fulfill that requirement. There's a list on their website that lists what's transferable. 

https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSBAAC.aspx

I did look at WGU quite a bit, but I couldn't transfer a ton there and I hated the idea of proctored exams. I ended up going to UMPI and graduated in 3 terms which is 24 weeks. UMPI allows you to transfer in up to 90 credits. They don't have a list of courses that aren't transferable.

RE: ACE Credit Expirations - dfrecore - 05-18-2021

(05-18-2021, 02:13 PM)GlacierLily Wrote: Nice! I will definitely keep UMPI in mind. I spoke with an enrollment counselor at WGU yesterday, and was told that they actually allow a max of 60 credits to transfer. (I made sure to communicate to the enrollment counselor that I'm not ready to enroll yet, and that I want to earn some credits first.)

I liked WGU's old accounting degree - it was actually a BS in Accounting, and had a little bit of the business core, but tons of accounting.  Now, it's just a business degree with an accounting concentration, far less accounting.

I would definitely look at UMPI, their accounting degree is equivalent, and that degree is very easy to plan out.