Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General "Big 3", B&M colleges, and other colleges (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Big-3-B-M-colleges-and-other-colleges)
+--- Thread: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? (/Thread-NAU-Northern-Arizona-University-Has-anyone-attended-there)

NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - Vle045 - 05-18-2021

I am curious about NAU.  When I tried to search the forum, not much will come up because you can’t search for a “word” with 3 characters.   I have been seeing a lot about UMPI lately.  And of course the Big 3.  But I would like to know more about NAU, if anyone has first hand experience.

RE: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - NC Coach - 05-18-2021

(05-18-2021, 12:38 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I am curious about NAU.  When I tried to search the forum, not much will come up because you can’t search for a “word” with 3 characters.   I have been seeing a lot about UMPI lately.  And of course the Big 3.  But I would like to know more about NAU, if anyone has first hand experience.

I cannot help with NAU but I can help with your search issue.

Use Google and type "site:degreeforum.net NAU" or substitute any other search term for NAU and you may have some luck with what you seek.   I find this far better than the built in search on this forum.   I just tried it and see several links with results for NAU.   Big Grin

RE: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - MNomadic - 05-18-2021

(05-18-2021, 01:13 PM)NC Coach Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 12:38 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I am curious about NAU.  When I tried to search the forum, not much will come up because you can’t search for a “word” with 3 characters.   I have been seeing a lot about UMPI lately.  And of course the Big 3.  But I would like to know more about NAU, if anyone has first hand experience.

I cannot help with NAU but I can help with your search issue.

Use Google and type "site:degreeforum.net NAU" or substitute any other search term for NAU and you may have some luck with what you seek.   I find this far better than the built in search on this forum.   I just tried it and see several links with results for NAU.   Big Grin
I was going to say just that. There have been a few members on the forum that were going for NAU's MCIT. From what I've gathered, NAU includes a lot of writing when compared to a school like WGU.

RE: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - ss20ts - 05-18-2021

The MCIT is a graduate degree. Graduate degrees are well known for a great deal of writing.

RE: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - rachel83az - 05-18-2021

Yeah, but if you're going for a technical degree then you might prefer one that has projects instead of papers. Those do exist.

RE: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - 000 - 07-06-2021

I did a few courses there, PM me if you have any questions.

RE: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - Vle045 - 07-07-2021

(07-06-2021, 06:05 PM)000 Wrote: I did a few courses there, PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks.  I talked to an advisor there.  I REALLY like what I have heard.  I don’t know if other competency based programs are the same, but it really sounds very do-able.  Open-book post test, a discussion or essay, and what was the one other thing?  I think it was three things, then the optional mastery…

RE: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - rachel83az - 07-08-2021

For those who stumble on this thread later, I just found out about https://jackspath.nau.edu/ to see how your undergraduate credits will transfer to NAU.

They have Sophia in the DB but they only have 4 courses listed: English Comp I, Art History, Approaches to Studying Religions, and Project Management. Only Approaches to Studying Religions and Project Management are worth credits. The others are not.

You apparently can't CLEP out of English Comp either. College Composition is only worth TWO credits, even with a max score of 80.

Study.com is not in the database at all.

If you still want to go to NAU, skip Sophia & SDC. Use the tool & NAU's degree information page to figure out which CLEP exams to take. Use ModernStates to get the exams for free.

RE: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - Vle045 - 07-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 12:17 PM)rachel83az Wrote: For those who stumble on this thread later, I just found out about https://jackspath.nau.edu/ to see how your undergraduate credits will transfer to NAU.

They have Sophia in the DB but they only have 4 courses listed: English Comp I, Art History, Approaches to Studying Religions, and Project Management. Only Approaches to Studying Religions and Project Management are worth credits. The others are not.

You apparently can't CLEP out of English Comp either. College Composition is only worth TWO credits, even with a max score of 80.

Study.com is not in the database at all.

If you still want to go to NAU, skip Sophia & SDC. Use the tool & NAU's degree information page to figure out which CLEP exams to take. Use ModernStates to get the exams for free.

What is even easier than that site is to simply email the admissions folks.  They will actually fully review unofficial transcripts and show you what will transfer.  And if you really think somehting *should* transfer, your advisor can try to get that accepted for you.   Since most of my credits are OLD, the site wasn’t much help.  But as it turned out, pretty much everything would transfer.  But I don’t have any CLEP and my few ACE weren’t really applicable.

RE: NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there? - dfrecore - 07-09-2021

They still have the old, expired, outdated ACP (Alternative Credit Project) listed on their website, which is odd. But it shows that they'll probably take other ACE courses - they'll take Straighterline, Pearson (no longer exists as an option), JumpCourse (no longer exists), Ed4Credit (no longer exists), and 1 Sophia course.

This leads me to believe that they will take more, but I really wish someone would get up to date there and realize that ACP is dead and buried, and update their website with some current info.