Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration (/Thread-Lib-Arts-Health-Wellness-Concentration)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - k-k-k-katy - 05-18-2021

Asking for a study partner:  Are there any alternative credits for TESU BA Liberal Studies – Health and Wellness Concentration?  Coopersmith seems to have some fitness courses but not sure they would cover any of these required courses.  The courses specifically mentioned on TESU website are
BIO-208 The Science of Nutrition (I think SDC has an equivalent?)
HEA-305 Women’s Health
HEA-306 Men’s Health
FIT-211 Biomechanics of Exercise or Kinesiology
GER-312 Biological Aspects of Aging
FIT-230 Individual Assessment for Fitness and Wellness Services
Or
FIT-250 Principles and Programs for Fitness and Wellness Services
ALSO,
Do any of the other “mostly” alternative-credit-accepting-colleges have a similar degree?
His order is easy (no more math classes!), fast, cheap

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - ylmir - 05-18-2021

(05-18-2021, 07:48 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote: Asking for a study partner:  Are there any alternative credits for TESU BA Liberal Studies – Health and Wellness Concentration?  Coopersmith seems to have some fitness courses but not sure they would cover any of these required courses.  The courses specifically mentioned on TESU website are
HEA-305 Women’s Health
HEA-306 Men’s Health
Or
ALSO,
Do any of the other “mostly” alternative-credit-accepting-colleges have a similar degree?

Not sure what all his criteria are, but one possibility for another school would be the University of the People Health Science program. They are definitely cheap, accept 90 ACE credits from seemingly any provider, so that would require doing the last 30 there, for sure. Not sure about math, that depends on what math he already has. As you might know, it is NA, though it is in the process of RA accreditation.

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - rachel83az - 05-18-2021

There is no known way to get these from alternate/cheaper sources. Possible concentrations are: 
  • Computer Science (probably not suitable)
  • Criminal Justice - I think (cheaper at UMPI, though)
  • General Management - I think
  • Human Resource Management - I think
  • Humanities
  • Natural Sciences/Mathematics (can avoid math but getting UL science wouldn't be easy)
  • Psychology
  • Social Sciences

I would not recommend UoPeople at all for various reasons. Depending on what he's got, either UMPI or COSC might be cheaper/easier than TESU.

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - k-k-k-katy - 05-18-2021

(05-18-2021, 08:12 PM)rachel83az Wrote: There is no known way to get these from alternate/cheaper sources. Possible concentrations are: 
  • Computer Science (probably not suitable)
  • Criminal Justice - I think (cheaper at UMPI, though)
  • General Management - I think
  • Human Resource Management - I think
  • Humanities
  • Natural Sciences/Mathematics (can avoid math but getting UL science wouldn't be easy)
  • Psychology
  • Social Sciences

I would not recommend UoPeople at all for various reasons. Depending on what he's got, either UMPI or COSC might be cheaper/easier than TESU.
He does want RA, and really likes TESU.  He has Sophia College Algebra and CSMLearn.  I really wondered when I couldn't find anything at all here for that particular concentration.  Thank you for the input, I appreciate it!

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - rachel83az - 05-18-2021

If he has both Algebra and CSM Learn, that also opens up the business degrees at TESU. But that depends on whether he considers accounting to be "math". Personally, even though it deals with numbers, I don't think it's math. It's more a categorization system. BSBA Marketing would have the least contact with math of all the business degrees, AFAIK.

(05-18-2021, 08:59 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If he has both Algebra and CSM Learn, that also opens up the business degrees at TESU. But that depends on whether he considers accounting to be "math". Personally, even though it deals with numbers, I don't think it's math. It's more a categorization system. BSBA Marketing would have the least contact with math of all the business degrees, AFAIK.

:-)  He really likes the Health and Wellness Concentration - it is what he is already doing.  He had looked at the Health Information/Health Sciences degrees, too, etc. but this is the one that he feels like "fits" him and lines him up more specifically with his future goals.

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - dfrecore - 05-18-2021

This is just not one of the concentrations you can get cheaply/quickly.

My daughter is considering this degree from Purdue Global (her work pays 100% for any degree there). You can bring in 90cr, including ACE.

(05-18-2021, 09:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is just not one of the concentrations you can get cheaply/quickly.

My daughter is considering this degree from Purdue Global (her work pays 100% for any degree there).  You can bring in 90cr, including ACE.

That's interesting!!  I'll let him know about that idea.  I don't know anything at all about Purdue Global.  Are there any threads on here that have reviews or discussions?  I think at one point someone (bjcheung77??) posted about doing extra courses at TESU which saves the money of the residency waiver, when I was asking about my degree plan, so I might look more closely at that option, too.

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - sanantone - 05-18-2021

There are a lot of options for Science of Nutrition. I took the TECEP. Coopersmith offers exercise science courses.

https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/

Reading the exam description, this might satisfy the Biology of Aging requirement.

https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/foundations-of-gerontology/

City College of San Francisco offers online courses in men's health and women's health. If you're not a California resident, tuition will be about $1,032 per 3-credit course.

Clark College offers online men's health and women's health courses, but they're only two credits each. TESU will likely let him make up the two missing credits with another health or exercise science course. The Clark College courses will cost $592.20 each if you're not a Washington resident or in a bordering Oregon county.

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - ylmir - 05-18-2021

(05-18-2021, 07:48 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote: Asking for a study partner:  Are there any alternative credits for TESU BA Liberal Studies – Health and Wellness Concentration?  Coopersmith seems to have some fitness courses but not sure they would cover any of these required courses.  The courses specifically mentioned on TESU website are
HEA-305 Women’s Health
HEA-306 Men’s Health
Or
ALSO,
You might keep tabs on the XAMK discussions to see how things go there with TESU. I've never taken any of their health courses personally, but I have noticed they have a fair amount of those in their Open University program. That is a bit of a gamble time wise, though, as it may be free (until the price of an evaluation), but we can't say for sure how much will ultimately apply to your degree at TESU.