Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration (/Thread-Lib-Arts-Health-Wellness-Concentration)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - ROYISAGIRL - 05-19-2021

And, do PLAs count toward the RA credit count?  Yes

And, do they cost the same as a regular course?  No, they are cheaper Bj maths it out on one of his posts he tagged above.

Would he have to be enrolled at TESU and approved to do the PLA (seems likely)? Yes to both questions .

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - k-k-k-katy - 05-20-2021

(05-19-2021, 11:52 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: And, do PLAs count toward the RA credit count?   Yes

And, do they cost the same as a regular course?  No, they are cheaper Bj maths it out on one of his posts he tagged above.

Would he have to be enrolled at TESU and approved to do the PLA (seems likely)? Yes to both questions .

Thanks for answering!  We were also wondering how long each PLA took you?  What gave you the idea to try them?  What are the courses you have used PLAs for?  Were any of those courses on subjects you didn't have experience with?  The one example/sample PLA I read (from TESU site) the gentleman had years and years of experience, which is somewhat intimidating.  Really appreciate your input, thank you!

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - ROYISAGIRL - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 09:47 AM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 11:52 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: And, do PLAs count toward the RA credit count?   Yes

Thanks for answering!  We were also wondering how long each PLA took you?  What gave you the idea to try them?  What are the courses you have used PLAs for?  Were any of those courses on subjects you didn't have experience with?  The one example/sample PLA I read (from TESU site) the gentleman had years and years of experience, which is somewhat intimidating.  Really appreciate your input, thank you!
 these arenthe courses I PLA'D:

ENS-311 Global Environmental Change I
ENS-312 Global Environmental Change II
ENS-411 Environmental Toxicology
CHE-362 Chemistry in the Environment
ENS-360 Environ Sustain Social Justice

To answer your question I didn't have a lot of formal training, but I do have informal learning from taking free courses on openlearn, futurelearn, coursera etc, volunteer work, reading and a few other things.

I don't like the examples because they are people who have been doing whatever it for years. I didn't model my portfolios after them I kind of went my our way. It would be much easier to show you what I mean, but I'm not sure if I can upload it here.

Each course has outcomes that a student is supposed to know or if they are in a class learn. I turned those into questions and answered them as if I was writing a paper. Example: What is the book "Silent Spring" about and what did it accomplish?

After I did that I did what is called a narrative this is basically you telling a story about how you know the information. Example: In 1995, I went to the library to find a book about animals and stumbled upon Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" after reading it and learning about DDT I blah blah blah.

The last writing portion is how your evidence fits. This one depends on your outcomes. If an outcome said "What is 2+2? I would put something like I learned about 2+2 from "Math Guru webinar where the instructor is a sme in the mathematics field see webinar cert in evidence.

I will tell you it is a good bit of work when you are first starting out, but once you get started it is pretty easy.

The length of my portfolios really depended on how many outcomes I had and how much evidence I had. I did no more than 14 pages of writing (I love to write) , but I think you can do less. The page numbers will be more due to evidence pages, title, bibs and such.

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - k-k-k-katy - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 03:29 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 09:47 AM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:

these arenthe courses I PLA'D:

ENS-311 Global Environmental Change I
ENS-312 Global Environmental Change II
ENS-411 Environmental Toxicology
CHE-362 Chemistry in the Environment
ENS-360 Environ Sustain Social Justice

To answer your question I didn't have a lot of formal training, but I do have informal learning from taking free courses on openlearn, futurelearn, coursera etc, volunteer work, reading and a few other things.

I don't like the examples because they are people who have been doing whatever it for years. I didn't model my portfolios after them I kind of went my our way. It would be much easier to show you what I mean, but I'm not sure if I can upload it here.

Each course has outcomes that a student is supposed to know or if they are in a class learn. I turned those into questions and answered them as if I was writing a paper. Example: What is the book "Silent Spring" about and what did it accomplish?

After I did that I did what is called a narrative this is basically you telling a story about how you know the information. Example: In 1995, I went to the library to find a book about animals and stumbled upon Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" after reading it and learning about DDT I blah blah blah.

The last writing portion is how your evidence fits.  This one depends on your outcomes.  If an outcome said "What is 2+2? I would put something like I learned about 2+2 from "Math Guru webinar where the instructor is a sme in the mathematics field see webinar cert in evidence.

I will tell you it is a good bit of work when you are first starting out, but once you get started it is pretty easy.

The length of my portfolios really depended on how many outcomes I had and how much evidence I had. I did no more than 14 pages of writing (I love to write) , but I think you can do less. The page numbers will be more due to evidence pages, title, bibs and such.

Thank you so much for all the information.  I know my study partner could do this.  Here's the funny thing, it has really inspired me too :-).  Did you take both PLA courses or just the first one?  Do you have a mentor/professor who approves the paper/project before you start?  Do you have the option to submit a draft and get feedback before you turn the final paper in?  I do appreciate that you've been so generous with your time to share your knowledge.

Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - ROYISAGIRL - 05-20-2021

I did take both, but honestly if you don't need any extra credits for residency I'd skip it. PLA 200 is mandatory and by the end of it you'll have a rough portfolio. I decided to try PLA because the environmental courses needed for my degree are hard to find and I deploy too much to try to do a class. With PLA I can write some papers, use training from deployment etc. And not be hindered too much.

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities.

For the mentor part I don't think I had one. I think there is a person you can ask questions to, but I didn't utilize them.

This part is where people shy away from PLA there's not really a rough draft portion like how classes do, but I could be wrong about that since I did do my portfolios a bit differently.

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - k-k-k-katy - 05-21-2021

(05-20-2021, 08:08 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I did take both, but honestly if you don't need any extra credits for residency I'd skip it. PLA 200 is mandatory and by the end of it you'll have a rough portfolio. I  decided to try PLA because the environmental courses needed for my degree are hard to find and I deploy too much to try to do a class. With PLA I can write some papers, use training from deployment etc. And not be hindered too much.

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities.

For the mentor part I don't think I had one. I think there is a person you can ask questions to, but I didn't utilize them.  

This part is where people shy away from PLA there's not really a rough draft portion like how classes do, but I could be wrong about that since I did do my portfolios a bit differently.

Yes, I take your point about not doing it if I don't have to.  As I've done the research for this degree plan I've been inspired to consider that particular degree.  My present degree plan (marketing) was not chosen from passion or even, really, interest - more like "just get a degree already!" mentality.  Health and Wellness means something completely different to my study partner than it would for my pursuit of a degree along these lines but it is a similar path to get there.  

And, here is a practical question regarding PLA-100 and PLA-200:  so, while taking PLA-200 he might be able to focus on one of the required AOS courses and end up with at least a rough draft for it?

Also, would PLA-100 and PLA-200 be placed under General Education Electives in the degree plan?

Thank you so much!!

Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - ROYISAGIRL - 05-21-2021

For PLA 200 the instructor I had you map out the courses you thought you could/wanted to PLA. Each assignment you did are pieces of the portfolio suchas a resume(I've never put one in a portfolio), your narrative explaining how you know the information(idk if they do it the same I took this in 2019), how to do a bibliography of books that maybe pertinent etc.

They do fit in the GE section if you don't have that filled already.

(05-21-2021, 01:39 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: For PLA 200 the instructor I had you map out the courses you thought you could/wanted to PLA. Each assignment you did are pieces of the portfolio suchas a resume(I've never put one in a portfolio), your narrative explaining how you know the information(idk if they do it the same I took this in 2019), how to do a bibliography of books that maybe pertinent etc.

They do fit in the GE section if you don't have that filled already.

Great, thanks!

Probably because it has been a long week - but I am not quite understanding the cost of PLAs...a package deal (12 credits) and an individual price?  How does that work?  Kind of glazed over while staring at the TESU page.  Not sure how to break it down, is there one fee or more than that?  Sorry to not "get it" - could someone post the "simple" version of an answer, please?  Thank you!

RE: Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration - bjcheung77 - 05-21-2021

Here's a write up: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-PLA-at-the-Big-3-Compared?