Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? (/Thread-Is-a-3-81-GPA-good-to-apply-for-graduate-school)

Pages: 1 2

Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - rohit50 - 05-20-2021

Hi, I am a transfer student here in the States, graduating next May. I transferred from a university called KyungHee in South Korea and transferred to UW-Madison last fall. Including my previous school, I have a 3.81 GPA so far, and I was wondering if this was a good enough GPA to apply for graduate schools.I know this question is very stupid because there are lots of more things that are considered when it comes to graduate school admission haha. But I would like to hear your opinions if you only think of this GPA.
Thanks in advance!P.S. I want to apply for a physics field, condensed matter physics.

RE: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - rachel83az - 05-20-2021

It depends on the graduate school. But, in general, anything above a 3.0 is good. Being close to 4.0 is better.

RE: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - SteveFoerster - 05-20-2021

Hi Rohit, yes, it sounds like you're in great shape!

RE: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - Old Guy - 05-20-2021

If you have a Bachelor's degree with a 2.0 I suspect you will have no problem finding an accredited master's degree in most fields.  You won't get into most schools but finding someone who wants your money is usually never a problem.

RE: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - ReyMysterioso - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 11:10 AM)Old Guy Wrote: If you have a Bachelor's degree with a 2.0 I suspect you will have no problem finding an accredited master's degree in most fields.  You won't get into most schools but finding someone who wants your money is usually never a problem.

Harsh, but true.

RE: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - eLearner - 05-20-2021

Well, a 3.81 is a very high GPA. I can't think of any schools that would reject you based on a GPA that high unless it was a school with very competitive enrollment (think Ivy league) and you were up against a field of others with even higher GPAs.

RE: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - ss20ts - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 11:10 AM)Old Guy Wrote: If you have a Bachelor's degree with a 2.0 I suspect you will have no problem finding an accredited master's degree in most fields.  You won't get into most schools but finding someone who wants your money is usually never a problem.

Every grad school I've looked at (it's been dozens) they require a minimum of a 3.0 to be accepted. I haven't seen one that will accept a 2.0 on your bachelor's degree.

RE: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - Old Guy - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 11:52 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Every grad school I've looked at (it's been dozens) they require a minimum of a 3.0 to be accepted. I haven't seen one that will accept a 2.0 on your bachelor's degree.

How about almost every for-profit?  I had a low C average.  I took an accredited religious masters and an accredited MBA.  I took a couple courses with As but didn't complete a top 100 University (#80) Master of Liberal Studies.  It was over $2000 per course and I couldn't justify it.  If you have a Bachelor's, you can find a good selection of Master's.

RE: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - ss20ts - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 01:05 PM)Old Guy Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 11:52 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Every grad school I've looked at (it's been dozens) they require a minimum of a 3.0 to be accepted. I haven't seen one that will accept a 2.0 on your bachelor's degree.

How about almost every for-profit?  I had a low C average.  I took an accredited religious masters and an accredited MBA.  I took a couple courses with As but didn't complete a top 100 University (#80) Master of Liberal Studies.  It was over $2000 per course and I couldn't justify it.  If you have a Bachelor's, you can find a good selection of Master's.

Most for-profit grad programs I've looked at have HORRIBLE reputations and are beyond overpriced. They still had a 3.0 minimum GPA requirement.

RE: Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school? - bjcheung77 - 05-20-2021

With a 3.81 GPA, you're in pretty good shape for a majority of schools, be it Public, State, Private, Non-Profit...etc. You should be looking at the requirements for entry into your favorite 5 colleges/universities you would like to attend, but also have at least a couple "backups" just in case you don't get into your top choices. Most schools, if you don't have the prerequisites will still take you-conditionally-if you have the rest of those requirements met. Once you show you are able to complete the courses they throw at you, you become unconditionally admitted and enrolled into that particular program.