Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future (/Thread-Sophia-U-S-History-Learn-from-the-Past-Prepare-for-the-Future)

Pages: 1 2

Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - Kab - 06-18-2021

Time to enjoy a new Sophia opportunity to learn about History : U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future

Content to pass:  10 Challenge assessments (these are like quizzes), 3 Milestone assessments (these are like tests), and 3 Touchstones (these are written assignments)

Again a lot of writing. But is another history course which I think will be very welcome.
I will start it soon. Any of you will jump to try it?

RE: Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - Dorothy44 - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 01:00 AM)Kab Wrote: Time to enjoy a new Sophia opportunity to learn about History : U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future

Content to pass:  10 Challenge assessments (these are like quizzes), 3 Milestone assessments (these are like tests), and 3 Touchstones (these are written assignments)

Again a lot of writing. But is another history course which I think will be very welcome.
I will start it soon. Any of you will jump to try it?

Any idea what this course will transfer in as to TESU or anywhere?  If it has 3 written assignments maybe it will come in as UL??  Hopefully, Sophia will get more UL courses added to what they already offer, or maybe they are just trying to add extra work to LL courses?

Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - jch - 06-18-2021

The ACE recommendation is for 3 LL credits. TESU does not take very many ACE credits as UL, and the ACE evaluation would definitely have to be UL for that to happen. Thus, it'll be treated as LL.

This will probably come in as HIS-199 Special Topics in History. Maybe there's a better equivalency they've developed which is not listed in the catalog.

RE: Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - rachel83az - 06-18-2021

Touchstones 1 & 2 are essays. Touchstone 3 is an oral PowerPoint presentation. I'm probably not going to take this one but it looks like a good course for anyone who wants a history degree.

There is a slim chance that it might satisfy part D (historical methods) for a history degree at TESU. It probably will not but there's still a slim chance because that's the kind of course this is.

RE: Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - cecilgambe7 - 06-18-2021

It looks likes Sophia new courses always include some kind of essays...

Maybe in future, only this kind of courses will be accepted by Universities.

RE: Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - MNomadic - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 07:04 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Touchstones 1 & 2 are essays. Touchstone 3 is an oral PowerPoint presentation. I'm probably not going to take this one but it looks like a good course for anyone who wants a history degree.

There is a slim chance that it might satisfy part D (historical methods) for a history degree at TESU. It probably will not but there's still a slim chance because that's the kind of course this is.
Actually looking at the assignments, they're not essays, just templates with some free response questions. Less that ideal but shouldn't be too bad if someone needs the class or is just interested in history. There is still the PowerPoint, but at least it's just a voiceover and not a video or anything.

RE: Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - rachel83az - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 10:06 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Actually looking at the assignments, they're not essays, just templates with some free response questions. Less that ideal but shouldn't be too bad if someone needs the class or is just interested in history. There is still the PowerPoint, but at least it's just a voiceover and not a video or anything.

Oh, that's much better! In that case, I might complete the class. I didn't look too closely the first time so I guess it looked more onerous than it really is.

RE: Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - dfrecore - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 01:47 AM)Dorothy44 Wrote: Any idea what this course will transfer in as to TESU or anywhere?  If it has 3 written assignments maybe it will come in as UL??  Hopefully, Sophia will get more UL courses added to what they already offer, or maybe they are just trying to add extra work to LL courses?

99% chance it will come in as LL at TESU.  If ACE recommends it as LL, TESU will count it as such.  Sophia doesn't have any UL.

RE: Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - Cofffeee - 06-19-2021

(06-18-2021, 09:02 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: It looks likes Sophia new courses always include some kind of essays...

Maybe in future, only this kind of courses will be accepted by Universities.
Or maybe its new way of increasing income. Grading time for each assignment decreases your chances to finish a lot of courses in 1 months. So, student is forced to pay extra for waiting on their grades for assignments

Sophia: U.S. History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future - Kab - 06-19-2021

You nailed here!
The extra time for the money makes sense.

Sent from my NX591J using DegreeForum.net mobile app