Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS (/Thread-Second-Bachelor-s-at-TESU-Enrolling-with-BS-and-MS)

Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - PrettyFlyforaChiGuy - 06-18-2021

Hi everybody, this one might be straightforward, but just wanted to check since I'm out of the loop. If I were to seek a BSBA from TESU with a B&M, RA BS (and an online, RA MS), would I:

1. Only need to complete the TESU BSBA core (along with the concentration + LL/UL distribution) requirements to earn the degree?
  2. Be able to complete those BSBA degree requirements--with the possible exception of the TESU cornerstone and capstone (if required)--with Sophia/SDC courses that were finished after both current degrees had already been conferred?
  3. If ACE options alone aren't sufficient, require some new RA credits to complete the TESU BSBA degree?
Let's assume:
  • I'm not interested in just getting an MBA
  • It's just for personal growth
  • Money and time aren't constraints, but don't mind saving either
  • I'll have already completed the transferable Sophia Business/Stats/Econ courses before the summer ends, but never touched SDC
  • I'd be open to other unis if it doesn't forfeit too much of that work
Does that leave a clear path forward for the BSBA? Wanted to consult our all-knowing hivemind, and thanks for any help.

RE: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - Flelm - 06-18-2021

TESU Wrote:Students who have received one baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree must:

Complete a minimum of 24 credits including the required capstone for the degree. These credits must be in the area of study and/or core of the degree. These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred.
Additionally, students must complete all other degree requirements as listed in the current Thomas Edison State University Catalog.
The University will not award a third Thomas Edison State University associate or baccalaureate degree.

https://iq3prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/Catalogs/Thomas-Edison-State-University/current/Undergraduate-Catalog/University-Policies-and-Procedures/Undergraduate-Academic-Policies/Degree-Policies/Award-of-Degrees

You need 24 new credits in the core or AoS. I am 99.9% sure those new credits can be ACE credits. The capstone counts as a core class.

RE: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - PrettyFlyforaChiGuy - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 10:47 AM)Flelm Wrote: You need 24 new credits in the core or AoS. I am 99.9% sure those new credits can be ACE credits. The capstone counts as a core class.

Thanks, yeah, I guess I'm curious how many of the Sophia options (plus SDC as needed) would be accepted, since I thought I'd seen new requirements that 30 credits in their degree must be RA. Seeing that both of the previous degrees are RA while none of the ACE courses would be, I think that's one of the concerns I was having. Sorry if that wasn't so clear above.

RE: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - rachel83az - 06-18-2021

Because the previous degree was RA, that should count towards the RA credit requirement. In essence, the gen eds are still required for the degree but TESU says that you already fulfilled them by getting a previous RA degree.

RE: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - Flelm - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 11:09 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Because the previous degree was RA, that should count towards the RA credit requirement. In essence, the gen eds are still required for the degree but TESU says that you already fulfilled them by getting a previous RA degree.

Yeah, the requirement isn't "30 RA credits", the limitation is a maximum of 90 alt credits. It just so happens 120 - 90 = 30. So you should be able to reuse all your B&M credits (or at least enough to cover 30 in GE/Electives, I would think.

RE: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - bjcheung77 - 06-18-2021

Basically, you need more than the 24 NEW credits, as the Professional Business Requirements and Area of Study exceeds that number. Having said that, you can complete everything with ACE and/or NCCRS credits. Furthermore, you may already have "some" of those requirements met with your previous degree if you did take some courses that meet those requirements. My only question is, which BSBA concentration are you going for?

RE: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - allvia - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 10:47 AM)Flelm Wrote:
TESU Wrote:Students who have received one baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree must:

Complete a minimum of 24 credits including the required capstone for the degree. These credits must be in the area of study and/or core of the degree. These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred.
Additionally, students must complete all other degree requirements as listed in the current Thomas Edison State University Catalog.
The University will not award a third Thomas Edison State University associate or baccalaureate degree.

https://iq3prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/Catalogs/Thomas-Edison-State-University/current/Undergraduate-Catalog/University-Policies-and-Procedures/Undergraduate-Academic-Policies/Degree-Policies/Award-of-Degrees

You need 24 new credits in the core or AoS. I am 99.9% sure those new credits can be ACE credits. The capstone counts as a core class.

Using the BSBA-GM as an example here: https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/general-management

The 24 new credits ('new to you' since you conferred your 1st RA Bachelor) need to be part of II. Professional Business Requirements (aka CORE) &/or III. Area of Study.  As, mentioned the required Capstone, BUS-421 Strategic Management, course are 3 UL credits of the 24 credits total - leaving you with the need of 21 new credits sections II &/or III. How many of those need to be UL depend if you're bringing in any UL credits that work in the section III - you'll need to meet the UL AOS requirements either way.   Other than the Capstone all those new credits can be alternative (eg. ACE, NCCRS) since your RA Bachelor credits would most certainly cover your RA requirements with TESU - statistically speaking. Now it is possible you'd need a few extra alternative source credits to fill missing requirements - such as statistics for example, but if you already meet those requirements outside the CORE/AOS with existing credits you're good to go with only 21 new credit for sections II &/or III.

RE: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - dfrecore - 06-18-2021

1) For a 2nd degree at TESU, the GE and Free Electives are waived (including the cornerstone). So for the BSBA, you just need 60cr between the core, the AoS, and the GE requirements (Stats & College Algebra). The only course you'll need at TESU is the capstone, all other courses can be had via alternative methods.
2) Since you got a degree at an RA school, you are fine for the RA requirements - those have been met
3) 24cr of the degree must be new (gotten after your last degree was conferred). But since there are so many credits required, you should be fine there as well

This degree is very easy to get alternatively; and even some of the concentrations are as well: Accounting, CIS, Entrepreneurship, HR/OM, Marketing & Finance can all be gotten via alt credits (last I checked anyway).

RE: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - PrettyFlyforaChiGuy - 06-20-2021

(06-18-2021, 11:42 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: you may already have "some" of those requirements met with your previous degree if you did take some courses that meet those requirements.  My only question is, which BSBA concentration are you going for?

Sadly, my BS focused less on putting cover sheets on TPS reports and more on digging up Mayan remains. The math and stats requirements would be met at least.

For the concentration, I was thinking just General Management, but open to HR, Marketing, and even IB, but not sure if many credit sources are out there for it.

RE: Second Bachelor's at TESU--Enrolling with BS and MS - dfrecore - 06-21-2021

(06-20-2021, 11:10 PM)PrettyFlyforaChiGuy Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 11:42 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: you may already have "some" of those requirements met with your previous degree if you did take some courses that meet those requirements.  My only question is, which BSBA concentration are you going for?

Sadly, my BS focused less on putting cover sheets on TPS reports and more on digging up Mayan remains. The math and stats requirements would be met at least.

For the concentration, I was thinking just General Management, but open to HR, Marketing, and even IB, but not sure if many credit sources are out there for it.

The Int'l Business concentration isn't available alternatively.  But you could do GM, and then fill it with the following courses:

BUS 308: Globalization and International Management (Study.com) or MAN-330: International Management (Davar)
FIN 302: International Finance (Study.com) or FIN-310: Multinational Business Finance (Davar)
MARK 303: Global Marketing

Those would cover MAN, FIN & MAR so that would be a bonus.