Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
NA degree transfer to TESU? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: NA degree transfer to TESU? (/Thread-NA-degree-transfer-to-TESU)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

NA degree transfer to TESU? - Unistic - 06-27-2021

Hello,

I have a few questions and its Sunday so TESU isn't responding to chats.

I have a National Accredited bachelor degree in Information Technology from Columbia Southern University. Will that degree transfer at all to TESU? Meaning do they even take national accredited classes? I got it while I was in the military the general ed is from regionally accredited schools spread over a few that were provided on base with my associated being in Criminal Justice awarded through military career credits.

Still I'm currently enrolled in a master degree program for Data Science taking one class at a time at a regionally accredit so so that NA degree wasn't all that useless.

Regardless while I'm taking the two years to complete this master I would love to to the TESU BA in CS on the side.

Lastly can anyone provide me with the most recent link to cleping into TESU?

-Summary-
Will my national accredited bachelors degree transfer at all into TESU.

Thanks in advance!!

RE: NA degree transfer to TESU? - rachel83az - 06-27-2021

TESU would not accept a NA degree. They don't accept NA credits either. They would almost certainly accept the RA credits, though. So, in the end, it might amount to the same thing. If you post a list of classes that you've taken, we can give you an idea of how close you might be to a TESU CS degree.

RE: NA degree transfer to TESU? - Unistic - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 11:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU would not accept a NA degree. They don't accept NA credits either. They would almost certainly accept the RA credits, though. So, in the end, it might amount to the same thing. If you post a list of classes that you've taken, we can give you an idea of how close you might be to a TESU CS degree.

Thank you for responding!
I updated the first post with a copy of my unofficial transcript form CSU. The military credits and NAU are regionally accredited classes. Again the military was awarded through training to get the Community College of the Air force associate degree in criminal justice. And the NAU were the classes I took that the base provided.

Thank you.

For gen eds:

Part A: You'll need to take English Comp II. This can be a quick TECEP; get it over and done with. SOS-110 is a class that all TESU students have to take (unless you have an RA bachelor's degree).

Part B: Diversity/Intercultural Literacy; I don't see anything applicable. Intro to Sociology at Sophia is pretty quick and easy. Ethics; Intro to Ethics at Sophia. Civic Engagement; $45 at InstantCert for American Government because Grantham is NA.

Part C: Knowledge of Human Cultures; you get 3 credits from Intro to Humanities, AFAIK. That leaves 9 more credits. Sophia has a number of options to fill that.

Part D: Understanding the Physical & Natural World; I'm pretty sure that none of your military credits work here but I could be wrong. If they don't, Sophia is your friend.

Part E: GE Electives... if any of your military credits are GE, they'd go here. Managerial Communications might go here. Otherwise, they go to the free electives slot. Sophia has plenty of GE courses that would work.

That leaves the capstone and the AOS. Classes that work for the AOS are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_BA_Computer_Science_Plan

Thank you!

I have another question. Should I register with TESU first and then transfer in the credits as I finish them? Also why do people clep majority of the degree instead of taking course with TESU? I see they offer semester/normal class structure as well as self study packages. Is cleping just overall easier?

I would register with TESU and fully enroll as soon as possible if you really want to go there. Some people would say to just focus on the Master's but you do what works best for you.

CLEP/Sophia/Study.com/etc. is both much cheaper and significantly faster than taking courses at TESU. If you test out of classes, you can be done with your degree in 6-18 months. Compared to 4-6 years for a "standard" Bachelor's degree.

I should just focus on the Master but Idk there's so much i want to learn and it feels like there's just not enough time. Each class is 7 weeks with about a week in between each. So maybe I can clep a class or two while focusing hard on my master classes. Plus I'm retired so I'm not working at the moment.

This is the program ism enrolled in which is geared towards working adults/ beginners of data science.It teaches Python, R, and Sql: https://www.eastern.edu/academics/graduate-programs/ms-data-science

You might be able to back-transfer some of those graduate courses to TESU to use them for a CS degree.

RE: NA degree transfer to TESU? - dfrecore - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 11:47 AM)Unistic Wrote: Thank you!

I have another question. Should I register with TESU first and then transfer in the credits as I finish them? Also why do people clep majority of the degree instead of taking course with TESU? I see they offer semester/normal class structure as well as self study packages. Is cleping just overall easier?

Most people on this forum are trying to get their degrees inexpensively.  TESU is $519/cr, so if you took 120cr there, a degree would run you $62k. Even with the military rate of $250/cr, that's $30k.

If you can bring in credits from RA schools, and then do ACE/NCCRS (including CLEP), you're looking at less than $10k for a degree.  That's easier for most to swallow.

(06-27-2021, 10:59 AM)Unistic Wrote: I have a National Accredited bachelor degree in Information Technology from Columbia Southern University. Will that degree transfer at all to TESU? Meaning do they even take national accredited classes? I got it while I was in the military the general ed is from regionally accredited schools spread over a few that were provided on base with my associated being in Criminal Justice awarded through military career credits.

Still I'm currently enrolled in a master degree program for Data Science taking one class at a time at a regionally accredit so so that NA degree wasn't all that useless.

Regardless while I'm taking the two years to complete this master I would love to to the TESU BA in CS on the side.

-Summary-

Thanks in advance!!

NA credit (and NA degrees) don't transfer to TESU.

I might consider WGU instead - they accept NA credit and degrees; and they take ACE credit as well (so CLEP, DSST, Sophia, Study.com, etc.).

You might be able to get it down to only needing 30cr at WGU for the CS degree, therefore costing less and going faster than TESU.

(06-27-2021, 12:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-27-2021, 11:47 AM)Unistic Wrote: Thank you!

Most people on this forum are trying to get their degrees inexpensively.  TESU is $519/cr, so if you took 120cr there, a degree would run you $62k. Even with the military rate of $250/cr, that's $30k.

If you can bring in credits from RA schools, and then do ACE/NCCRS (including CLEP), you're looking at less than $10k for a degree.  That's easier for most to swallow.

(06-27-2021, 10:59 AM)Unistic Wrote: I have a National Accredited bachelor degree in Information Technology from Columbia Southern University. Will that degree transfer at all to TESU? Meaning do they even take national accredited classes? I got it while I was in the military the general ed is from regionally accredited schools spread over a few that were provided on base with my associated being in Criminal Justice awarded through military career credits.

-Summary-

Thanks in advance!!

NA credit (and NA degrees) don't transfer to TESU.

I might consider WGU instead - they accept NA credit and degrees; and they take ACE credit as well (so CLEP, DSST, Sophia, Study.com, etc.).

You might be able to get it down to only needing 30cr at WGU for the CS degree, therefore costing less and going faster than TESU.

Thank you! I've looked into WGU but I get the feeling that its mostly for people who already know that stuff. Meaning ppl who've worked in the industry and can pay the term fee and knock out alot of credits in no time. But for people who don't know it or have little experience they'll be playing alot more to complete the degree there vs a normal school. Correct me if i'm wrong though but that was my only reason for not going to them.
My other option was ASU post bacc in CS but the GI bill won't pay for my masters and that at the same time and I want to do a second degree while working on my master. I have alot of time on my hands and all.

(06-27-2021, 12:15 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You might be able to back-transfer some of those graduate courses to TESU to use them for a CS degree.

Thanks again, and it didn't occur to me that I can transfer graduate courses into TESU. This degree from Eastern is still pretty new the first cohort of the program are due to graduate in a month or two. Does TESU perform preliminary transfer checks?