Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
COSC - My Honest Opinion - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: COSC - My Honest Opinion (/Thread-COSC-My-Honest-Opinion)

Pages: 1 2 3

COSC - My Honest Opinion - cannacollege - 07-21-2021

I recently completed my AA - General Studies at COSC and will be done with my BA - General Studies in a couple of months. I wanted to share a little bit about my experience at COSC and why I chose COSC over TESU. I don't have a whole lot of feedback, as my experience has been mostly positive. 

- The staff/faculty are real human beings with names. The school has a fairly small faculty/staff. Everyone I've spoken to has been EXTREMELY helpful. They do a really good job of hiring caring people. 

- It's affordable AF! Seriously. If you only take the 2 required classes at COSC, you have yourself a pretty sweet deal. I spent around $3200 for both classes. I was able to use their payment plan system, which was helpful being that I'm broke and paying out of pocket (TESU does not allow a payment plan for most students. I confirmed this myself). I used Sophia and StraighterLine to fulfill my gen ed requirements, which cost me about $350-400. Also, there is NO GRADUATION FEE as of July 2021. That saved me $225. 

- Continuous credit transfers: Once enrolled, you can continue to transfer in credits even after you've completed your required courses. This makes it easy to get registered and started on your required courses right away. The school is also pretty fast with updating your academic evaluation once enrolled.    

Now on to my complaints:

- Well, just one complaint. They do not state your major on your diploma. I think this is pretty insane, being that it would cost them nothing to do so. But your major/concentration does show on your transcript, which I guess is all that really matters. 

Overall, my experience at COSC has been smooth. If you're looking for a simple way to complete your degree, I'd definitely recommend COSC. 

Sophia: 22 credits | StraighterLine: 1 credit (Bio Lab) | Prior College Credits + WGU: 90+ Credits

In Progress: COSC BA - General Studies - Liberal Studies

Completed: COSC AA - General Studies

RE: COSC - My Honest Opinion - Vle045 - 07-21-2021

My degree did not have a major listed either. It is not proper to list a major in most cases.

RE: COSC - My Honest Opinion - sanantone - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 06:24 AM)cannacollege Wrote: I recently completed my AA - General Studies at COSC and will be done with my BA - General Studies in a couple of months. I wanted to share a little bit about my experience at COSC and why I chose COSC over TESU. I don't have a whole lot of feedback, as my experience has been mostly positive. 

- The staff/faculty are real human beings with names. The school has a fairly small faculty/staff. Everyone I've spoken to has been EXTREMELY helpful. They do a really good job of hiring caring people. 

- It's affordable AF! Seriously. If you only take the 2 required classes at COSC, you have yourself a pretty sweet deal. I spent around $3200 for both classes. I was able to use their payment plan system, which was helpful being that I'm broke and paying out of pocket (TESU does not allow a payment plan for most students. I confirmed this myself). I used Sophia and StraighterLine to fulfill my gen ed requirements, which cost me about $350-400. Also, there is NO GRADUATION FEE as of July 2021. That saved me $225. 

- Continuous credit transfers: Once enrolled, you can continue to transfer in credits even after you've completed your required courses. This makes it easy to get registered and started on your required courses right away. The school is also pretty fast with updating your academic evaluation once enrolled.    

Now on to my complaints:

- Well, just one complaint. They do not state your major on your diploma. I think this is pretty insane, being that it would cost them nothing to do so. But your major/concentration does show on your transcript, which I guess is all that really matters. 

Overall, my experience at COSC has been smooth. If you're looking for a simple way to complete your degree, I'd definitely recommend COSC. 

Sophia: 22 credits | StraighterLine: 1 credit (Bio Lab) | Prior College Credits + WGU: 90+ Credits

In Progress: COSC BA - General Studies - Liberal Studies

Completed: COSC AA - General Studies

Not listing the major on the diploma is pretty standard. Sometimes, schools only list applied subjects, such as business administration. Only one time did someone ask for my diplomas, and it was an office manager who didn't have a degree or a formal background in HR. She didn't know that diplomas are the easiest to fake. Everyone else has wanted transcripts.

RE: COSC - My Honest Opinion - CatsDomino - 07-21-2021

This is good to know. I recently recommended COSC to a friend of mine who has an AA and a lot of RA upper level credits from about 10 years ago. She was unable to finish due to her spouse passing away suddenly and having three kids to raise alone. With no graduation fee and a payment plan, it sounds like I recommended the right school. Thanks, OP.

RE: COSC - My Honest Opinion - ss20ts - 07-21-2021

Many schools do not list your major on your degree. My 2 associate degrees do not. They just say Associate in Applied Science and Associate of Science. My BLS from UMPI lists my major and all of my minors. It's pretty crowded!

RE: COSC - My Honest Opinion - dfrecore - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 09:28 AM)CatsDomino Wrote: This is good to know.  I recently recommended COSC to a friend of mine who has an AA and a lot of RA upper level credits from about 10 years ago.  She was unable to finish due to her spouse passing away suddenly and having three kids to raise alone.  With no graduation fee and a payment plan, it sounds like I recommended the right school.  Thanks, OP.

If you have her post her credits on here, I'll do a degree plan for her and see if it's the most feasible plan.

RE: COSC - My Honest Opinion - bjcheung77 - 07-21-2021

Interesting - Question for you - OP, I noticed you have credits from WGU, why didn't you finish a degree from them instead?

RE: COSC - My Honest Opinion - cannacollege - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 01:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Interesting - Question for you - OP, I noticed you have credits from WGU, why didn't you finish a degree from them instead?

WGU is an excellent school. Probably my favorite online school, but I have horrible test anxiety.

RE: COSC - My Honest Opinion - CatsDomino - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 10:11 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 09:28 AM)CatsDomino Wrote: This is good to know.  I recently recommended COSC to a friend of mine who has an AA and a lot of RA upper level credits from about 10 years ago.  She was unable to finish due to her spouse passing away suddenly and having three kids to raise alone.  With no graduation fee and a payment plan, it sounds like I recommended the right school.  Thanks, OP.

If you have her post her credits on here, I'll do a degree plan for her and see if it's the most feasible plan.

Oh, thank you!  I'll talk to her and see if she'll do that.

RE: COSC - My Honest Opinion - SteveFoerster - 07-24-2021

Given that most of their programs are technically a major in General Studies with a concentration in [whatever], I'm actually glad they don't list it.