Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
The Masters Trap - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: The Masters Trap (/Thread-The-Masters-Trap)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Masters Trap - Alpha - 07-28-2021

What makes a graduate program predatory?
The Master's Trap - by Anne Helen Petersen - Culture Study (substack.com)

RE: The Masters Trap - ss20ts - 07-28-2021

What the heck is a MAPH? I know it's a real degree but it doesn't sound like a real degree. The MAPSS sounds even more fake. This shows that many non-profit schools are really no better than for profit schools. The government needs to get out of the student loan business and clean up this mess than they caused.

RE: The Masters Trap - dfrecore - 07-28-2021

Ugh. People are just stupid. I especially love when they talk about taking out "tens of thousands of dollars for living expenses." You know what you can do instead? WORK. Most people who aren't college students just get a job and pay for living expenses. I cannot for the life of me figure out why college students (college grads!) feel exempt from this part of life and adulthood?!? It's like they are perpetual children.

RE: The Masters Trap - rachel83az - 07-29-2021

Not everyone is able to work full time and study even part time. There's no shame in that.

RE: The Masters Trap - dfrecore - 07-29-2021

(07-29-2021, 02:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Not everyone is able to work full time and study even part time. There's no shame in that.

Yes, there IS shame in that.  If you can't manage the very basics of life, including housing and food, AFTER becoming a college grad, then you should be ashamed of yourself.  These people are going VERY far into debt for an unnecessary graduate degree.  I don't feel sorry for them, and I certainly don't want to be on the hook for paying off a single cent of their student loan debts as a taxpayer.  This is just ridiculous.

That's very ableist. Again, there is nothing shameful about not being able to manage some aspects of the "very basics" of life. Just because someone isn't able to manage a stressful 9-5 AND writing research-type papers at the same time doesn't mean that they don't deserve to have a degree.

RE: The Masters Trap - eLearner - 07-29-2021

I think it depends on what point in life you're at. I don't expect a 21 or 22 year old to have it all together yet, but if you're like 35+ and still not capable of holding these things down then that's a problem.

(07-29-2021, 01:36 PM)eLearner Wrote: I think it depends on what point in life you're at. I don't expect a 21 or 22 year old to have it all together yet, but if you're like 35+ and still not capable of holding these things down then that's a problem.

True. I'm thinking more of traditional-age students. You go to university at 17 or 18, get your undergrad at 21 or 22, and then you're suddenly expected to have your life together enough that you can do grad school and hold down (possibly) multiple jobs to pay for everything? I know people do it but that's a huge burden to place upon students.

RE: The Masters Trap - ss20ts - 07-29-2021

(07-29-2021, 02:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Not everyone is able to work full time and study even part time. There's no shame in that.

This is true for pretty much every adult beyond college age. Even many college age students have to work and can't attend school full time. Everyone doesn't have supportive parents.

(07-29-2021, 12:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Yes, there IS shame in that.  If you can't manage the very basics of life, including housing and food, AFTER becoming a college grad, then you should be ashamed of yourself.  These people are going VERY far into debt for an unnecessary graduate degree.  I don't feel sorry for them, and I certainly don't want to be on the hook for paying off a single cent of their student loan debts as a taxpayer.  This is just ridiculous.

That's really harsh. You know NOTHING about anyone's life. Just because one earns a degree does not mean that they can find a job in that field where they live. I know many people say to move. Well it's not just that easy to pack up and move and it costs money. Many people take care of siblings and parents so what are they supposed to do? The graduate could be disabled and need help from their family to live. I know many people who are college educated and wheelchair bound. They require assistance for the bathroom, bathing, and eating. There's NO shame in that! Everyone's situation in life is different.

(07-29-2021, 01:53 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

This is true for pretty much every adult beyond college age. Even many college age students have to work and can't attend school full time. Everyone doesn't have supportive parents.
Yup. Or you might have emotionally supportive parents who can't financially support you. It happens.

(07-29-2021, 01:53 PM)ss20ts Wrote: That's really harsh. You know NOTHING about anyone's life. Just because one earns a degree does not mean that they can find a job in that field where they live. I know many people say to move. Well it's not just that easy to pack up and move and it costs money.

Plus, a lot of people here say "don't go for a 2nd/3rd Bachelor's degree, just go get a Master's degree instead". Where's that money coming from? If money is currently tight because my Bachelor's degree doesn't open up local jobs, how am I going to even begin to think about getting a Master's degree?

You can't have it both ways.