Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
WGU Employee Thread - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: WGU Employee Thread (/Thread-WGU-Employee-Thread)

WGU Employee Thread - TheTruthIsOutThere - 07-29-2021

There is virtually no place you can discuss working/working conditions at WGU so this is a thread for anyone who wishes to discuss things that are going on at WGU that directly affect them and their day to day life.

Your posts here are anonymous and safe as long as you do the following:

1.  Don't discuss how long you've been here
2.  Don't give your real name
3.  Don't give any details that could out you as to who you are

First topic of discussion...the 160 people laid off.

Does anyone know if this statement as to why people were laid off is true...it makes 100% sense as to why it happened considering they are losing profits because of high performers:

This was a last minute meeting that was added to employee's calendars the evening prior. No warning. Even two layers of management above program mentors were not aware this was coming. It was an eight minute call with the SVP announcing positions had been eliminated effectively immediately. Two program mentors I know that were let go had the highest numbers in their group and were not the newest members to the team. Some of the more recent hires and/or lower performers were kept on the team. They were also some of the higher paid. They also had more students that graduated in 6 months to one year. Combined with the recently announced lower enrollment, the university had too many students graduating and not enough enrolling. Essentially, many mentors were too good at their jobs causing the university to make less money.

RE: WGU Employee Thread - MNomadic - 07-29-2021

What are the education benefits like at WGU and do they hire WGU grads?

RE: WGU Employee Thread - quigongene - 07-29-2021

(07-29-2021, 05:21 PM)MNomadic Wrote: What are the education benefits like at WGU and do they hire WGU grads?

I have a friend that works for WGU as a developer. He's currently in their BSCSIA program and they pay for 75% of it. I don't see why they wouldn't hire their own grads.

RE: WGU Employee Thread - jsd - 07-29-2021

I think I've only seen one person who posts around here that has indicated they work for WGU (who has already weighed in on the WGU layoff thread). The WGU reddit had a good handful of employees/ex-employees discussing the layoff topic. Around here, you'll find almost exclusively students and alumni.

RE: WGU Employee Thread - AwardTour - 07-29-2021

I got JSD and quigongene mixed up. JSD is the person that knows about hacking and IT security, quigongene knows about hacking WGU in-terms of degree completion/requirements. Okay, I managed to sort that out. My work here is done....

(07-29-2021, 04:39 PM)TheTruthIsOutThere Wrote: There is virtually no place you can discuss working/working conditions at WGU so this is a thread for anyone who wishes to discuss things that are going on at WGU that directly affect them and their day to day life.

Your posts here are anonymous and safe as long as you do the following:

1.  Don't discuss how long you've been here
2.  Don't give your real name
3.  Don't give any details that could out you as to who you are

First topic of discussion...the 160 people laid off.

Does anyone know if this statement as to why people were laid off is true...it makes 100% sense as to why it happened considering they are losing profits because of high performers:

This was a last minute meeting that was added to employee's calendars the evening prior. No warning. Even two layers of management above program mentors were not aware this was coming. It was an eight minute call with the SVP announcing positions had been eliminated effectively immediately. Two program mentors I know that were let go had the highest numbers in their group and were not the newest members to the team. Some of the more recent hires and/or lower performers were kept on the team. They were also some of the higher paid. They also had more students that graduated in 6 months to one year. Combined with the recently announced lower enrollment, the university had too many students graduating and not enough enrolling. Essentially, many mentors were too good at their jobs causing the university to make less money.

Would you stop being overly dramatic. There are plenty of places online to discuss working conditions. You even cited Glassdoor yourself in a previous post. You are free to share your opinions there on working conditions. Guess what, someone might even cite you/spam your reviews on another message board. Thank me later.

RE: WGU Employee Thread - dfrecore - 07-30-2021

I thought this forum was for people trying to get a degree? Maybe this thread should be moved to Off-Topic or something?

RE: WGU Employee Thread - allvia - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 12:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I thought this forum was for people trying to get a degree?  Maybe this thread should be moved to Off-Topic or something?

I agree, it doesn't make sense to have a thread that is likely fueled by disgruntled or unhappy employees - it is not helpful to those looking for information on how to succeed as a student of WGU.  The original thread of WGU laying off talked about the impact on the student (at least started that way). The work environment of any employer is not what this forum is about - it is definitely Off-Topic . This thread seems to be very off target from the mission of this site.

RE: WGU Employee Thread - quigongene - 07-30-2021

(07-29-2021, 07:13 PM)AwardTour Wrote: I got JSD and quigongene mixed up. JSD is the person that knows about hacking and IT security, quigongene knows about hacking WGU in-terms of degree completion/requirements. Okay, I managed to sort that out. My work here is done....

Sorry to add to the confusion, but I think we both work in IT Security.

RE: WGU Employee Thread - TheTruthIsOutThere - 08-18-2021

(07-29-2021, 06:53 PM)jsd Wrote: I think I've only seen one person who posts around here that has indicated they work for WGU (who has already weighed in on the WGU layoff thread). The WGU reddit had a good handful of employees/ex-employees discussing the layoff topic.  Around here, you'll find almost exclusively students and alumni.

You can't post anything on Glassdoor other than reviews and there is no place to discuss WGU employees.  WGU reddit is heavily censored as is Glassdoor (go there and see the same two liner 5-star reviews)...negative reviews disappear fast.