Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU (/Thread-My-UMPI-transfer-credit-evaluation-transferring-to-TESU)

Pages: 1 2 3

My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - park0902 - 07-29-2021

UMPI was my first choice because I love competency-based programs. The classes are straightforward, get through the quizzes, milestones, and finish a summative assessment (a paper, project, or test). It took almost 1.5 months to get my evaluation as it's summer and staffing is reduced. I applied at the beginning of June and was approved on the 17th. 1400$ is really affordable. It's equivalent to like 1 class at TESU. You'd like it if writing is your strong suit and can finish your degree quickly. Highly recommend taking Eng Comp I & II at UMPI, it was super fast. However, I personally think the requirements for a BA is a bit too much, I wish they have the non-concentration BLS like TESU. I've finished 3 classes so far but it's going to take me a while to finish my degree because I'm really bad at writing, especially when upper-level finals demand more time and effort. I have 2 Associate degrees and took a bunch of classes on Sophia (23 classes, the ones without writing assignments) but I'm nowhere near the finish line (which would cost more than TESU in the end). So I've decided to go with TESU instead (which I'm almost done with except for cornerstone and capstone). I wonder if it is going to be a problem transferring my credits to TESU as @ss20ts mentions the courses are designed to finish the degree internally at UMPI. Overall, UMPI is a great experience and how college should be for a lot of people. YOU CAN FINISH YOUR DEGREE!! This forum is a beautiful hidden gem and I'm thankful that I found it and grateful for its members. I wish I'd have found it sooner.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vco5bxxWhmy74dVyBOCVtHkV2oJPCv2X/view?usp=sharing

RE: My transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - LevelUP - 07-29-2021

Regardless of where you go to school, one trick is trying to avoid classes that would take much longer than taking them elsewhere.

Getting stuck in a long course hurts your momentum and can break your confidence.

RE: My transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - ss20ts - 07-29-2021

(07-29-2021, 05:27 PM)park0902 Wrote: UMPI was my first choice because I love competency-based programs. The classes are straightforward, get through the quizzes, milestones, and finish summative assessment (a paper, project, or test). It took almost 1.5 months to get my evaluation as it's summer term and staffing is reduced. I applied at the beginning of June and was approved on the 17th. 1400$ is really affordable. It's equivalent to like 1 class at TESU. You'd like it if writing is your strong suit and can finish your degree quickly. Highly recommend taking Eng Comp I & II at UMPI, it was super fast. However, I personally think the requirements are a bit too much, I wish they have the non-concentration BLS like TESU. I've finished 3 classes so far but it's going to take me a while to finish my degree because I'm really bad at writing, especially when upper-level finals demand more time and effort. I have 2 Associate degrees and took a bunch of classes on Sophia (23 classes, the ones without writing assignments) but I'm nowhere near the finish line (which would cost more than TESU in the end). So I've decided to go with TESU instead (which I'm almost done with except for cornerstone and capstone). I wonder if it is going to be a problem transferring my credits to TESU as @ss20ts mentions the courses are designed to finish the degree internally at UMPI. Overall, UMPI is a great experience and how college should be for a lot of people. YOU CAN FINISH YOUR DEGREE!! This forum is a beautiful hidden gem and I'm thankful that I found it and grateful for its members. I wish I'd have found it sooner.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vco5bxxWhmy74dVyBOCVtHkV2oJPCv2X/view?usp=sharing

UMPI classes are RA credit. It's up to other schools if they accept the courses. The courses all have to fit into your degree program no matter where they come from. YourPace is designed to complete your degree at UMPI. This is true of pretty much every B&M college.

RE: My transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - park0902 - 07-29-2021

(07-29-2021, 06:20 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Regardless of where you go to school, one trick is trying to avoid classes that would take much longer than taking them elsewhere.

Getting stuck in a long course hurts your momentum and can break your confidence.
Word! Very true, which is why alternative credits are awesome, even better when it's at low prices. Not everyone can finish 10 classes in 2 months, especially those UL classes.

(07-29-2021, 06:20 PM)ss20ts Wrote: UMPI classes are RA credit. It's up to other schools if they accept the courses. The courses all have to fit into your degree program no matter where they come from. YourPace is designed to complete your degree at UMPI. This is true of pretty much every B&M college.

Thanks. I think the classes I've taken can be applied to TESU's BLS with no concentration.

RE: My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - bjcheung77 - 07-30-2021

Hey, I noticed you're switching to TESU from UMPI.  I would recommend TESU since you already have over 24 RA credits, you need to just complete the cornerstone/capstone with them and transfer in 114 credits.  These credits can be from UMPI as they are RA, I'm not here to persuade you back to UMPI, but was wondering, since you have completed 12 credits in 1 term, you should be able to complete the remaining credits in two more terms.  Total would be $4200 at UMPI, TESU will be more expensive than that.  BTW, how many remaining credits did you have for UMPI?

My only recommendation is to select the degree/school that would be cheaper, easier, faster and provides you with more value or ROI.  For example, if you can complete the degree at UMPI for $4200 in the next two terms, I think that may be a better deal, this all depends on your current situation.  If you have less time for school due to other commitments, then TESU would be an option. I would give this some thought before finalizing your choice.  Here is a post I made at the beginning of the month in regards to selecting TESU/UMPI: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Is-TESU-Still-The-Cheaper-Way-To-Go?pid=340624#pid340624

RE: My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - park0902 - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 12:46 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, I noticed you're switching to TESU from UMPI.  I would recommend TESU since you already have over 24 RA credits, you need to just complete the cornerstone/capstone with them and transfer in 114 credits.  These credits can be from UMPI as they are RA, I'm not here to persuade you back to UMPI, but was wondering, since you have completed 12 credits in 1 term, you should be able to complete the remaining credits in two more terms.  Total would be $4200 at UMPI, TESU will be more expensive than that.  BTW, how many remaining credits did you have for UMPI?

My only recommendation is to select the degree/school that would be cheaper, easier, faster and provides you with more value or ROI.  For example, if you can complete the degree at UMPI for $4200 in the next two terms, I think that may be a better deal, this all depends on your current situation.  If you have less time for school due to other commitments, then TESU would be an option. I would give this some thought before finalizing your choice.  Here is a post I made at the beginning of the month in regards to selecting TESU/UMPI: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Is-TESU-Still-The-Cheaper-Way-To-Go?pid=340624#pid340624

Hey, thanks! I'm missing 49 credits: the minor (24 credits, 12LL + 12UL), 15 UL electives credits, 10 LL GE credits (ART, SPA, BIO) which I don't think I can finish in 2 terms (I wish I have ashkir's willpower lol), at my current rate maybe 4 terms which are $5600 plus 200 bucks for study.com if I want to take the BIO 101L and SPA 101. Those UL classes are a lot more work for me personally so I have to reduce my work hours. At TESU, I only need to pay $130 for Davar, $1557 for the capstone (my FA covers the cornerstone, these freaking new FA rules, 6 credits could've been covered completely), and $3490 for residency waiver and graduation ($5177 in total). Ultimately, I don't have to spend another 8 months on school and have more time to work plus I can graduate faster in like 4 months (and save $423 on tuition).

RE: My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - allvia - 07-30-2021

I think we'll see a few people who end up doing this.  The competency model is great for some people, but the piecemeal go at your own pace of the Big3 (TESU, COSC, EC) often can't be beat. I'm glad this forum has expanded beyond the Big3 to include options like WGU and UMPI, but it has never been a one school fits all. I'm glad that you've discovered what will work for you before you lose both time and money on a bad fit.

RE: My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - ss20ts - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 02:03 AM)park0902 Wrote: Hey, thanks! I'm missing 49 credits: the minor (24 credits, 12LL + 12UL), 15 UL electives credits, 10 LL GE credits (ART, SPA, BIO) which I don't think I can finish in 2 terms (I wish I have ashkir's willpower lol), at my current rate maybe 4 terms which are $5600 plus 200 bucks for study.com if I want to take the BIO 101L and SPA 101. Those UL classes are a lot more work for me personally so I have to reduce my work hours. At TESU, I only need to pay $130 for Davar, $1557 for the capstone (my FA covers the cornerstone, these freaking new FA rules, 6 credits could've been covered completely), and $3490 for residency waiver and graduation ($5177 in total). Ultimately, I don't have to spend another 8 months on school and have more time to work plus I can graduate faster in like 4 months (and save $423 on tuition).

The minors are only 18 credits so I'm not sure how you need 24 credits for your minor. Spanish can be taken on InstantCert and the bio course can be done on Study.com instead of at UMPI. The studio art class in YourPace is fulfilled by a humanities course. Might be worth it to take a break from UMPI and complete more classes on Sophia and those above and transfer them in. We typically don't recommend applying to UMPI until you've completed 90 transferable credits.

RE: My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - dfrecore - 07-30-2021

I'm not certain why you think TESU would be cheaper (although MAYBE faster if you already have 114cr).

I'm also not certain how you're ending up with having to take so many classes at UMPI? We have it where you can bring a ton of alt-credit in and just take 30cr there - the entire major/concentration/minor, plus ~4 electives? Why aren't you doing this?

RE: My UMPI transfer credit evaluation - transferring to TESU - park0902 - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 10:31 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The minors are only 18 credits so I'm not sure how you need 24 credits for your minor. Spanish can be taken on InstantCert and the bio course can be done on Study.com instead of at UMPI. The studio art class in YourPace is fulfilled by a humanities course. Might be worth it to take a break from UMPI and complete more classes on Sophia and those above and transfer them in. We typically don't recommend applying to UMPI until you've completed 90 transferable credits.

My mistakes, my minors are 21 credits, I got the 24 credits minor from the "Undergraduate Advisement", it's different from the degree audit Jessica sent and I was wondering why it was 24 credits, too. I took almost every class at Sophia so I don't know what else I can take to fulfill the requirements. If I'm going to pay $200 for study.com I might as well do Hum-201 (transferred as Hum 103) along with Bio 101L because the subscription includes 2 tests AFAIK, right? I looked it up and Instantcert costs like 20 bucks a month,  I've never learned Spanish so it's going to take me a couple of months to pass and pause my progress at UMPI (costs more time). 
So I left with 7 minor classes and 5 UL electives which I can finish in 3-4 sessions (6-8 months) at UMPI.
That's $4200 or $5600 plus $240 for the alternative credits (1-2 months)
Total of $4440 or $5840 (7-10 months)

Meanwhile, for TESU, I'll spend 1 month plus $130 for Davar (missing 7 UL credits, taking Organizational Behavior (4UL) and Business Ethics (3UL)), and 3 months plus $5047 to finish the capstone and graduate.
Total of $5177 (4 months)
The time I save to work more while studying and also graduate quickly to find better work is worth it, in my opinion.

(07-30-2021, 12:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not certain why you think TESU would be cheaper (although MAYBE faster if you already have 114cr).

I'm also not certain how you're ending up with having to take so many classes at UMPI?  We have it where you can bring a ton of alt-credit in and just take 30cr there - the entire major/concentration/minor, plus ~4 electives?  Why aren't you doing this?

I thought I have to take my UL electives at UMPI. My minor is in Educational Studies so I don't know where to get alternative credits from. I know I have to take at least 30 credits at UMPI but I'm not sure how I can optimize it to where I only take 30 credits at UMPI.