Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
PLA and residency credits - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: PLA and residency credits (/Thread-PLA-and-residency-credits)

Pages: 1 2 3

PLA and residency credits - bsimi - 07-31-2021

All-

Does anyone know if PLA credits count towards residency requirements for military TESU students? (Military residency requirements are different than regular residency requirements)

Thx

RE: PLA and residency credits - ROYISAGIRL - 07-31-2021

(07-31-2021, 03:37 PM)bsimi Wrote: All-

Does anyone know if PLA credits count towards residency requirements for military TESU students? (Military residency requirements are different than regular residency requirements)

Thx
Yes it does. I know because I am military and did PLA.

RE: PLA and residency credits - bsimi - 07-31-2021

(07-31-2021, 06:13 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 03:37 PM)bsimi Wrote: All-

Thx
Yes it does. I know because I am military and did PLA.

Thanks - did the military pay for the PLA credits and assessment fee? This is for active duty benefits not GI bill

PLA and residency credits - ROYISAGIRL - 07-31-2021

No the only thing that would be covered is the PLA 100 and 200 courses since they are graded credits. The portfolio fees are out of pocket expenses.

RE: PLA and residency credits - bsimi - 07-31-2021

(07-31-2021, 07:42 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: No the only thing that would be covered is the PLA 100 and 200 courses since they are graded credits. The portfolio fees are out of pocket expenses.

What about the credits that are awarded for the PLA? There is the portfolio assessment fee of $389 for 12 credits and then the credits are charged at $178/credit from what I can tell. Is that true?

RE: PLA and residency credits - ss20ts - 07-31-2021

PLA credits are rarely worth the time or money. For $79 you can complete far more than 12 credits if you put some time into classes on Sophia.org. It's $79 a month and it's LL classes. Study.com is $200 a month and has UL courses. You're limited to 2 exams a month with additional exams for $70 more each up to 3 additional exams a month. There are also community colleges with online programs that are much less than $178 per credit to get your RA credits.

RE: PLA and residency credits - bjcheung77 - 08-01-2021

ss20ts Wrote:PLA credits are rarely worth the time or money. For $79 you can complete far more than 12 credits if you put some time into classes on Sophia.org. It's $79 a month and it's LL classes. Study.com is $200 a month and has UL courses. You're limited to 2 exams a month with additional exams for $70 more each up to 3 additional exams a month. There are also community colleges with online programs that are much less than $178 per credit to get your RA credits.

True, very good recommendations. In addition to this, if you're looking for RA credits for residency, the TECEPS (Lower Level) would be recommended as well if you're an active service person. Depending on the number of residency credits you're looking for, 8 TECEPS will be $1200 if you need 24 RA credits. PLA for 18 credits will be over $1400... https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-PLA-at-the-Big-3-Compared

RE: PLA and residency credits - rachel83az - 08-01-2021

If you're looking for residency, TECEPs count toward that for active military. I think they'll pay for those, too? There are some relatively easy TECEPs that you can take, like the English Comp ones and the CIS107 one. I'm sure that there are others.

RE: PLA and residency credits - bsimi - 08-01-2021

(08-01-2021, 02:54 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you're looking for residency, TECEPs count toward that for active military. I think they'll pay for those, too? There are some relatively easy TECEPs that you can take, like the English Comp ones and the CIS107 one. I'm sure that there are others.

Thanks - yes TECEPs would be great, but there aren't many liberal studies upper level credit TECEPS

RE: PLA and residency credits - bjcheung77 - 08-01-2021

(08-01-2021, 03:24 AM)bsimi Wrote: Thanks - yes TECEPs would be great, but there aren't many liberal studies upper level credit TECEPS

Upper Level TECEPS aren't usually recommended as it's much harder and more expensive. Each UL TECEP exam is $225, if you take a LL it would be $150, this way you can take an easy course from say InstantCertCredit, Sophia.org, or CLEP/MS for lower level. If you need UL credit, you can take Coopersmith, Davar, Study.com. The LL TECEPS are to get you residency, the alternative providers are best used for Upper Level. Sometimes it's advantageous to take a LL TECEP and then ladder that knowledge with an UL Study.com course.