Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU English comp recommendations - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: TESU English comp recommendations (/Thread-TESU-English-comp-recommendations)

TESU English comp recommendations - schristian10 - 09-08-2021

I've seen it mentioned not to take english comp courses through Sophia. Are there any counterpoints to that or other recommendations?

RE: TESU English comp recommendations - dfrecore - 09-08-2021

(09-08-2021, 07:43 PM)schristian10 Wrote: I've seen it mentioned not to take english comp courses through Sophia. Are there any counterpoints to that or other recommendations?

That's only for people going to UMPI - it's faster/easier to take it there than Sophia or Study.com.

If you want to test out, you can take the TECEP exams, or CLEP or CLEP/DSST combo.  Or take the course through Sophia or Study.com.  There's more options, but those are the most well-known and discussed here.

RE: TESU English comp recommendations - jch - 09-08-2021

(09-08-2021, 07:43 PM)schristian10 Wrote: I've seen it mentioned not to take english comp courses through Sophia. Are there any counterpoints to that or other recommendations?

During the free membership offer period last year, several forum members experienced long turnaround times and exasperating feedback on the assignments. This situation may be different/better today. Additionally, there were some complaints about the amount of work/time required to complete the assignments. I opted not to finish the Sophia English Comp courses, but I didn't think that they were particularly bad. They're certainly much less intense than the ASU ULC courses.  

As dfrecore mentioned, the English courses at UMPI are known to be particularly quick. Thus, forum participants looking at UMPI are advised to just take English Comp there. People pursuing other schools should continue to consider other credit sources. 

The CLEP Composition w/essay exam takes care of both English credits at TESU and some other schools. Utilized with the free modernstates offer, it's one of the most common ways to deal with English requirements. Another option for TESU, which I went with, is taking CLEP Composition modular w/o essay and DSST Advanced English Composition. 
If you want RA Credit for an exam, TESU has TECEP offerings. If you want a graded RA course, TEL, ONU, and ASU are options. Otherwise, Sophia is still a decent approach.

RE: TESU English comp recommendations - rachel83az - 09-09-2021

There have been a handful of people who have taken or tried to take Sophia English Comp more recently and then mentioned it here. From what they have said, Sophia has the same issues with those courses as before. Pick something else, if at all possible, for English Comp.