Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Does this look like a solid degree plan? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Does this look like a solid degree plan? (/Thread-Does-this-look-like-a-solid-degree-plan)

Pages: 1 2 3

Does this look like a solid degree plan? - iothom - 09-15-2021

So, with lots of help from this forum, I've created this degree plan for a BS in Business Administration from COSC. This is for my high schooler who does not have any credits yet. 

The total plan has 122 credit hours (or 124 if Greenville College transcribes the Latin credit as 5 instead of 3). From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong): 

A BSBA at COSC requires:
-120 credit hours
-30 UL credits (3 from Capstone, 15 from Area of Study, and 12 Electives)

COSC will accept (currently): 
-90 alternative credits
-30 RA (6 from COSC and 24 from other RA sources)

I tweaked two excellent degree plans to come up with the following:

—General Education—

*Written Communication* 6
English Composition I - Sophia.org 
English Composition II - Sophia.org 

*Oral Communication* 3
Public Speaking - Sophia.org 

*Information Literacy* 3
(COSC) Information Literary - LL

*Ethical Decision-Making* 3
Intro to Ethics - Sophia.org 

*US History/ Government* 6
[RA] United States History I - TEL Learning
[RA] American Government - TEL Learning

*Non-US History or Culture* 3
[RA] World Civilizations I - TEL Learning

*Global Understanding* 3
Environmental Science - Sophia.org 

*Literature and Fine Arts* 3
English 103: Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - Study.com

*Social/ Behavioral Sciences* 3
Introduction to Sociology - Sophia.org 

*Mathematics* 3
College Algebra - Sophia.org 

*Natural Sciences* 8
[RA] Intro to Biology (w/ lab) - TEL Learning *4 cr
[RA] Physical Sciences (w/ lab) - TEL Learning *4 cr

*Prerequisites* 9 
Economics 102: Macroeconomics - Study.com
Economics 101: Principles of Microeconomics - Study.com
Introduction to Statistics - Sophia.org 

*LL Liberal Arts Electives* 12
[RA] Introduction to Christianity - TEL Learning
[RA] Old Testament - TEL Learning
[RA] Latin I - TEL Learning *5 CR Total at Greenville University
Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology  - Study.com

*UL LibArts Electives* 12
Psychology 311: Physiological Psychology - Study.com
Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation - Study.com
Psychology 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology - Study.com
Computer Science 311: Artificial Intelligence - Study.com

—Business Administration Major Requirements— 

*Business Core* 27
Accounting 101: Financial Accounting (poor rating) - Study.com
Accounting 102: Intro to Managerial Accounting - Study.com
Business 103: Introductory Business Law - Study.com
Business 101: Principles of Management - Study.com
Business 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications - Study.com
Business 102: Principles of Marketing - Study.com
Finance 104: Financial Management - Study.com
Business 107: Organizational Behavior - Study.com
(COSC) Strategic Management Capstone - UL

*UL Area of Study: General Business* 9
Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management  - Study.com
Business 311: Project Management - Study.com
Business 323: Organizational Theory - Study.com

*UL Business Electives* 9
Hospitality 304: Hotel & Lodging Management & Operations - Study.com
Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising - Study.com
Business 310: Advanced Business Ethics - Study.com

RE: Does this look like a solid degree plan? - dfrecore - 09-15-2021

So, there are a few issues, but I haven't made a plan for a while and not 100% on COSC's rules - so hopefully someone will check my work:

1) Don't take ANYTHING from TEL through Greenville University, they put all TEL courses with a notation on the transcript that you did not take the course there

2) Regular Statistics won't work for the requirement, you have to take Business Stats (not sure if they'll take it from Study.com, if not you can do ALEKS)

3) I don't think Environmental Science meets the Global Understanding requirement, but A&I Lit will so you're fine

4) Computer Science 311: Artificial Intelligence is not a Liberal Arts course, don't take

5) Psychology 311: Physiological Psychology & Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation are not accepted by COSC at all (not on the list)

6) Business 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications is not accepted by COSC, you have to take BUS 303: Management Info Systems instead

7) BUS 107: Organizational Behavior doesn't count for the Core, you have to take BUS 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior instead

8) Hospitality 304: Hotel & Lodging Management & Operations is not a Business Elective, you have to choose something else

9) I still show you missing 2 UL courses even after you replace the ones you had listed

I'm not sure I'd use Sophia for English Comp - instead, I'd probably go through Allen University for those (look it up as to why on the TEL website).

You need to make sure you use the equivalency list on Study.com's website to make sure you're lining up everything properly, using courses that are accepted by COSC, etc.

RE: Does this look like a solid degree plan? - SteveFoerster - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 11:12 AM)dfrecore Wrote: 2) Regular Statistics won't work for the requirement, you have to take Business Stats (not sure if they'll take it from Study.com, if not you can do ALEKS)

I thought Charter Oak wasn't accepting ALEKS currently?

RE: Does this look like a solid degree plan? - rachel83az - 09-15-2021

Charter Oak doesn't accept ALEKS, no.

RE: Does this look like a solid degree plan? - iothom - 09-15-2021

Any ideas on where to find a Business Statistics course since ALEKS isn't an option?

RE: Does this look like a solid degree plan? - rachel83az - 09-15-2021

I would suggest checking with your local community college. If those are expensive, one of the schools on this page might have it. I haven't specifically gone looking for Business Statistics before so I am not sure. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sources_of_Credit

RE: Does this look like a solid degree plan? - thecontrarian - 09-15-2021

You don't want to do CLEPS? Lots of those courses are CLEPS too ...

I've only been doing this since leaving HS this summer and have been using CLEPS thru ModernStates. Already got thru 10 exams and 30 credits for a total of $15 which is just the cost of the CB practise exam book. I work part-time and am grinding thru about 1.5 exams every week real easy.

I'm also very cheap though because I'm working towards the end-point objective of becoming a CPA !!!

RE: Does this look like a solid degree plan? - iothom - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 02:37 PM)thecontrarian Wrote: You don't want to do CLEPS? Lots of those courses are CLEPS too ...

I've only been doing this since leaving HS this summer and have been using CLEPS thru ModernStates. Already got thru 10 exams and 30 credits for a total of $15 which is just the cost of the CB practise exam book. I work part-time and am grinding thru about 1.5 exams every week real easy.

I'm also very cheap though because I'm working towards the end-point objective of becoming a CPA !!!

I would do CLEPs, but I wanted to make sure my high schooler knew the material. From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the CLEP prep on ModernStates is like a review of what you already know. But my kid doesn't know it yet, so my degree plan is for both high school and college at the same time.

But I will look into it. I do like the idea of CLEP.

RE: Does this look like a solid degree plan? - RiverM - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 07:28 PM)iothom Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 02:37 PM)thecontrarian Wrote: You don't want to do CLEPS? Lots of those courses are CLEPS too ...

I would do CLEPs, but I wanted to make sure my high schooler knew the material. From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the CLEP prep on ModernStates is like a review of what you already know. But my kid doesn't know it yet, so my degree plan is for both high school and college at the same time.

But I will look into it. I do like the idea of CLEP.

No, they have a full blown course you have to go through that prepares you before you get the voucher. Obviously, it does help to have previous knowledge, but that's with anything.

RE: Does this look like a solid degree plan? - dfrecore - 09-15-2021

CLEP is a very good option - it's especially popular with homeschoolers who like to choose and teach a thorough curriculum, and then pick up some college credit along the way. I homeschooled my kids, and would not have used ModernStates for the curriculum, but that's me. Others do use it that way.