Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING (/Thread-Important-information-READ-BEFORE-APPLYING)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - rachel83az - 10-23-2021

PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE THIS THREAD UNLESS THERE ARE CHANGES TO DEGREE POLICIES, PROCESS, ETC.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS AND WANT ANSWERS, CREATE A NEW THREAD WITH YOUR QUESTIONS INSTEAD.

UMPI is not like any of the Big 3 when it comes to credit transfers. Before you apply, there are some things that you need to keep in mind:

1. You are permitted to bring in up to 90 credits.
  2. Any or all of those credits can be ACE.
  3. Most students will likely transfer in 72-84 credits.
  4. Take English Composition classes at UMPI. They're faster and easier than any known alternate source.
  5. You will need two sciences, one must be with a lab. See below for the easiest ways to do that.
  6. You will need at least 3 credits of a foreign language. Sophia's Spanish I is currently the best/fastest way to do this. If you are going for a History degree, you will need 6 credits in foreign language. In that case, you will also need Sophia's Spanish II. For any degrees, if you already know a foreign language that is not Spanish, choose either a CLEP exam or an ACTFL exam for credits. 
  7. Do not expect to finish your degree in one session (2 months). Some people can, but most do not. Expect 2-4 sessions to finish your degree.
  8. Once you apply and are accepted, you are automatically enrolled and you MUST obtain permission from your advisor to transfer in additional classes. This is usually not a problem, but it is still a good idea to wait to apply until you have completed all of the courses that you plan to transfer to UMPI.
  9. UMPI's Enrollment Counselors are PAID TO GET PEOPLE TO APPLY! They don't work for UMPI. They are contractors. Do NOT apply until you are ready. The enrollment counselors can be pushy and may say a lot of things to try to get you to apply immediately. Don't listen! If you have questions, start a new thread here. The current students and alumni here will be able to answer most questions you might have about the process at UMPI.

UMPI Science Requirements

UMPI requires a Biological Science and a Physical Science. At least one must have a lab. Currently, the easiest/cheapest ways to do this include:

Suggestion #1:
  1. Biology: Human Biology at Sophia.
  2. Physical Science: Environmental Science at Sophia
  3. Lab Science: Human Biology Lab at Sophia

Suggestion #2:
  2. Physical Science: Intro to Chemistry at Sophia
  3. Lab Science: Human Biology Lab at Sophia

Suggestion #3:
  2. Physical Science: Intro to Chemistry at Sophia
  3. Lab Science: Intro to Chemistry Lab at Sophia

Suggestion #4:
  1. Biology: Biology 101L at Study.com
  2. Physical Science: Environmental at Sophia
  3. Lab Science: Biology 101L (lab and course are taken together at Study.com)

These are NOT the only ways to meet this requirement. Example: A student has previously taken an Astronomy course from a brick & mortar school. They would then just need to take Sophia's Human Biology. Whether they also need the lab or not would depend on whether the Astronomy course had a lab.

RE: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - Federicojavier - 10-23-2021

(10-23-2021, 03:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI is not like any of the Big 3 when it comes to credit transfers. Before you apply, there are some things that you need to keep in mind:

2. Any or all of those credits can be ACE.
  3. Most students will likely transfer in 72-84 credits.
  4. Take English Composition classes at UMPI. They're faster and easier than any known alternate source.
  5. You will need a science with a lab. Currently, the easiest way to do that is with Study.com's Biology 101L course. 
  6. You will need at least 3 credits of a foreign language. InstantCert's Spanish is currently the fastest way to get foreign language credit. If you are going for a History degree, you will need 6 credits in foreign language. If this is the case, study Spanish with Study.com. For any degrees, if you already know a foreign language that is not Spanish, choose either a CLEP exam or an ACTFL exam for credits. 
  7. Do not expect to finish your degree in one session (2 months). Not all classes are offered every session. Expect 2-4 sessions to finish your degree.
  8. Once you apply and are accepted, you are automatically enrolled and you MUST obtain permission from your advisor to transfer in additional classes. This is usually not a problem, but it is still a good idea to wait to apply until you have completed all of the courses that you plan to transfer to UMPI.

Very helpful info. Thanks

RE: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - JannikT - 10-23-2021

(10-23-2021, 03:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI is not like any of the Big 3 when it comes to credit transfers. Before you apply, there are some things that you need to keep in mind:

Why only 90 credits? On the YourPace site it says you can bring in an unlimited amount of unspecified credits. Did they change their policies recently?

RE: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - rachel83az - 10-24-2021

(10-23-2021, 11:48 PM)JannikT Wrote:

Why only 90 credits? On the YourPace site it says you can bring in an unlimited amount of unspecified credits. Did they change their policies recently?

You can bring in an unlimited amount of credits, technically speaking, but only 90 will apply to the degree. You must take a minimum of 30 UMPI credits. And most of your UL credits must be completed at UMPI as well.

RE: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - ashkir - 10-24-2021

One thing I'd like to ad:

UMPI's Enrollment Counselors are PAID TO GET PEOPLE TO APPLY, they don't work for UMPI they are contractors. Do NOT apply until you are ready.
(10-24-2021, 02:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

You can bring in an unlimited amount of credits, technically speaking, but only 90 will apply to the degree. You must take a minimum of 30 UMPI credits. And most of your UL credits must be completed at UMPI as well.

Agreed. They will transcript anything above 90. But you still must take 30. I did Aleks during my degree path and they transcripted it for me/

RE: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - rachel83az - 10-24-2021

(10-24-2021, 02:42 AM)ashkir Wrote: One thing I'd like to ad:

Thanks! I knew I forgot something. Added to the first post.

RE: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - JannikT - 10-24-2021

(10-24-2021, 02:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

So if you want to stack your degree with additional majors and minors, the excess required credits above 120 must be completed at UMPI. Am I understanding the rules correctly?

RE: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - ss20ts - 10-24-2021

Nothing has changed. A bachelor's degree requires 120 credits and you must complete a minimum of 25% of the degree requirements at UMPI. They only accept 90 transfer credits towards your degree. You must complete at least 30 credits at UMPI. My transcripts show over 200 credits, but I still had to complete at least 30 at UMPI.

(10-24-2021, 03:37 AM)JannikT Wrote: So if you want to stack your degree with additional majors and minors, the excess required credits above 120 must be completed at UMPI. Am I understanding the rules correctly?

I completed 3 minors. I was capped at 90 transfer credits. You can't complete additional majors. Those would be additional bachelor's degrees. If you want and are able to complete 2 bachelor's degrees, you'll need to complete a minimum of 30 additional credits at UMPI. Finish your first one first, then worry about the second one. It's easier if you've already graduated to complete the second one. I'm doing this right now.

RE: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - JannikT - 10-24-2021

(10-24-2021, 04:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Nothing has changed. A bachelor's degree requires 120 credits and you must complete a minimum of 25% of the degree requirements at UMPI. They only accept 90 transfer credits towards your degree. You must complete at least 30 credits at UMPI. My transcripts show over 200 credits, but I still had to complete at least 30 at UMPI.

(10-24-2021, 03:37 AM)JannikT Wrote: So if you want to stack your degree with additional majors and minors, the excess required credits above 120 must be completed at UMPI. Am I understanding the rules correctly?

I completed 3 minors. I was capped at 90 transfer credits. You can't complete additional majors. Those would be additional bachelor's degrees. If you want and are able to complete 2 bachelor's degrees, you'll need to complete a minimum of 30 additional credits at UMPI. Finish your first one first, then worry about the second one. It's easier if you've already graduated to complete the second one. I'm doing this right now.
Yes I understand that you are capped at 90 transfer credits. But I assume that you are not limited to 120 credits in total in one degree? As long as the excess credits beyond 120 are completed at UMPI. Otherwise it would be near to impossible to complete 3 minors in addition to the major.
If what you are saying is correct, UMPI would not allow double majors. But in their regulations it states that double majors are allowed. Or are double majors not allowed on YourPace? It does not state so on their homepage, which is quite odd. But since you are a student at UMPI, perhaps you have knowledge about the issue that has not been publicised?

RE: Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING - ss20ts - 10-24-2021

(10-24-2021, 07:29 PM)JannikT Wrote: Yes I understand that you are capped at 90 transfer credits. But I assume that you are not limited to 120 credits in total in one degree? As long as the excess credits beyond 120 are completed at UMPI. Otherwise it would be near to impossible to complete 3 minors in addition to the major.
If what you are saying is correct, UMPI would not allow double majors. But in their regulations it states that double majors are allowed. Or are double majors not allowed on YourPace? It does not state so on their homepage, which is quite odd. But since you are a student at UMPI, perhaps you have knowledge about the issue that has not been publicised?

You're not capped at 120 credits for a degree with multiple minors and concentrations. You're capped at 90 transfer credits. 

You don't have minors with a major. It sounds like you're confusing things. There are concentrations and there are minors. Two different things. It's also rare that someone completes multiple minors. 

You don't have a double major in YourPace. You're reading the on campus website and it doesn't apply to YourPace.