Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Can we do outside courses after admitted to PG? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General "Big 3", B&M colleges, and other colleges (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Big-3-B-M-colleges-and-other-colleges)
+--- Thread: Can we do outside courses after admitted to PG? (/Thread-Can-we-do-outside-courses-after-admitted-to-PG)

Can we do outside courses after admitted to PG? - sialiblo - 11-01-2021

I wanted to purse  BS cybersecurity in Purdue Global, I am not applied yet. I am currently still working on some IT certificates (comptia,ccna and others) that is listed on their transferrable IT certificates table.

My question is, how is it usually works regarding admission and transfers. Do you work on your own until you have 135 max transfer ready, and then you apply to PG, or you can apply to PG anytime? I am wondering, once we have applied and admitted as student to PG, do we have to take classes from PG exclusively every semester, or can we still finish outside courses from sophia/SDC/IT Certs etc. ?

Thanks.

RE: Can we do outside courses after admitted to PG? - ss20ts - 11-01-2021

It's usually best to finish everything you want to transfer because once you're enrolled and taking classes you will want to focus all of your time on the classes that you're paying for. I don't know PUG's policies on accepting credit once you're enrolled. My husband is attending PUG and only takes PUG classes. He doesn't have time with a full time job to work on anything else because the ExcelTrack courses require a great deal of work.

RE: Can we do outside courses after admitted to PG? - sialiblo - 11-01-2021

I see, that make a lot of sense to apply after we have 135 credits transferrable. My only worries is that it might take lots of time to finish 135 transferrable credits from IT certs and outside providers, I don't know what happen if it took more than 2 years for example, would any of the completed courses and certificates became too old to be transferrable?

RE: Can we do outside courses after admitted to PG? - bjcheung77 - 11-01-2021

Yup, that's what I would recommend as well, get the bulk of your credits towards your degree/school of choice, up to 75% of the requirements. The only school that I would recommend applying to is TESU as they change their catalog year requirements more than before, otherwise, many regulations/rules are stagnant and the same as the previous year. I wouldn't worry too much in regards to your 2 year old certs being too old, most if not all would be a 5-7-10 year limit of current content.

RE: Can we do outside courses after admitted to PG? - dfrecore - 11-01-2021

(11-01-2021, 01:54 PM)sialiblo Wrote: I see, that make a lot of sense to apply after we have 135 credits transferrable. My only worries is that it might take lots of time to finish 135 transferrable credits from IT certs and outside providers, I don't know what happen if it took more than 2 years for example, would any of the completed courses and certificates became too old to be transferrable?

If it's any consolation, it's 135 QUARTER credits, which equates to 90 SEMESTER credits.  PG is a quarter-based system, so you can to multiply everything by 3/2 to determine the credits.

Also, they give WAY more credits for some certs than most, so that will be helpful to you.

For Cybersecurity, you want to make sure that you are taking the "right" certs. You want ones that will give you credits in the major, not just random certs that can be used for Free Electives. So, figure out which certs will give you the most bang for your buck.