Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
AAS to Bachelor degree - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: AAS to Bachelor degree (/Thread-AAS-to-Bachelor-degree)

AAS to Bachelor degree - uncapentin - 11-26-2021

Hi,
  I'm high jacking my sons account to ask a few questions in hopes to help my oldest daughter achieve her goal of a Bachelor degree. She currently has an AAS in Architectural Engineering from an accredited community college. She holds certification in auto Cad and holds one of maybe 100 certifications in a program called ebuilder. She's currently subbed out from her employer to a very large well known internet platform, as a project manager. ( I'm not sure if I can say the name because she had to sign all kinds of contracts-non-disclosure forms in order to work for them)  Anyway, in addition to the classes on the pdf I'm going to try to upload, she has health, music, cis 110, history 1,and a business communications class. Her credits are all from 10-20 yrs old. I know she's had many other types of training on construction software. She's familiar with Study and Sophia but I don't think she's done any classes yet. I ran across a degree months ago that I knew her AAS would fit into ( meaning they'd accept most of her credits and do a personalized BAS ), but now cannot find it anywhere. Most of her classes were A's through C's but she did have a D or two and some withdrawals. She had begun at one school, took a couple year break and enrolled in another CC.  Thank you for any ideas or input. 

Carla-uncapentin's mama.

RE: AAS to Bachelor degree - rachel83az - 11-26-2021

You can't directly transfer an AAS (or any Associate, for that matter) into any Bachelor's degree. That said, if she likes Project Management and wants to continue, I would probably suggest UMPI's BABA in Project Management: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-business-proj-mgmt.aspx It probably wouldn't make use of a lot of her existing credits, but it would be useful for the Project Management career path.

While you can't block-transfer an AAS into a Bachelor's degree, UMPI also offers a BAS only to those students who already have an AAS. I'm not entirely sure what that entails because it's not directly listed on the YourPace website.

RE: AAS to Bachelor degree - uncapentin - 11-26-2021

Hi, thanks for the response. I edited my post. I wasn't very clear about how I thought her credits would transfer. I will dig some more and look at the UMPI suggestion. I didn't see it last time I looked. I thought it was COSC but didn't see it there either.

RE: AAS to Bachelor degree - dfrecore - 11-26-2021

If you put the grades directly on the form you took a pic of, that would help. It's important to know, since different schools have different requirements for the grades they'll accept.

If you say what her exact cert is, that would also help - including the date she got it. Most certs expire, so it will be important to know if it's current, and if it's worth credit anywhere.

Add the courses that are missing - course #, full course name, # of credits, and grade if less than a C.

RE: AAS to Bachelor degree - bjcheung77 - 11-26-2021

UMPI BAS is a great option as she would be laddering her AAS into that program. You can see which minor she would be interested, there are a few options to select from on the YourPace program list. With the latest updates at COSC, I don't think they'll be a recommendation I would provide any longer, however if you want the Excelsior or TESU route, that can work as well...

RE: AAS to Bachelor degree - uncapentin - 11-27-2021

Morning,
   All of her grades were A's through C's except for  Hist 111-World Civilizations I and Mat 121-Algebra/Trig- D ( which she may have retaken , still searching transcripts for that ) All credit were earned from 2002 to roughly 2006 or so . A few of the following are on the pdf I included, the rest are extra credits. 
   Thus far I have these extra classes :
ACA-111 -- 1 - Gr=A
Health 110--3-Gr=C
Hist 111-wrld civ--3- Gr=D
Mat 121-Alg/Trig--3- Gr=D
Mus 110--3- Gr=C
Ost 131- Keybrding--2-Gr=A
Cis 111-Basic Literacy--2- Gr=B
Psy 150 -Gen.Psy--3- Gr=B
Eng 111--3- Gr=B
Eng 114 Prof Resrch --3 - Gr =C
Civ 110--Stat/Stren Mat--4- Gr =C
Hum 110-Techn & Soc--3- Gr=C
ARC-- Princ of Est.--3- Gr-B 

Her tech classes were all A's through C's and course numbers/ credits are outlined on the pdf.
Her certs are outlined above-- Auto Cad ( which was a minor ) ( roughly 2006) and ebuilder ( less than 5 yrs old ) Anything else is just training on different software. I haven't seen anything so far to indicate college credit for Ebuilder although a few schools are offering it now. The Auto Cad falls within her degree. There are a few lower than 100 courses but not counting on those. On her earliest transcript there are some W's a two WF. 
  I am thinking she should work on Coll Alg ( if she didn't retake it ) and BIO 101L through Study- since I haven't seen a science with lab. Perhaps Spanish through IC just in case she goes with UMPI. I figure all 3 will help and not waste her time once we get her plan in place with a school that will benefit her most. 
  I'm thinking** the degree I ran across was a BAS in Construction technology or something but am not finding it. The curse of working on multiple pc's, too many bookmarks and notes. 
  I have been looking at UMPI and TESU pretty hard. I too don't feel like COSC is a great option for her.

RE: AAS to Bachelor degree - allvia - 11-27-2021

(11-27-2021, 11:53 AM)uncapentin Wrote:   I'm thinking** the degree I ran across was a BAS in Construction technology or something but am not finding it. The curse of working on multiple pc's, too many bookmarks and notes. 
  I have been looking at UMPI and TESU pretty hard. I too don't feel like COSC is a great option for her.

I think this is the thread you're thinking of - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Construction-related-degree

Based on the current career and existing work experience, I would think that the UMPI BAS w/Project Management Minor would be the most practical and likely the most affordable (quick too). If you do go this path, don't take project management through Sophia - as the UMPI project management courses build off each other.

Here is the thread about the BAS option at UMPI - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-BAS-for-AAS-holders-vs-BLS

RE: AAS to Bachelor degree - dfrecore - 11-27-2021

For certs - the one that's college credit just comes in as college credit, the one that's from ebuilder I have no idea about, since I don't know what that is. She'd have to look it up in the ACE national guide.

Here's what I show remaining, and how people usually get the credits (85cr are coming in, so don't go crazy on taking too many credits):

ICC
American Government (optional)
Spanish (definitely)

Sophia
Either Stats or College Algebra
Environmental Science

Study.com
BIO 101L: Intro to Biology w/Lab (definitely)
One of the following:
- REL 101: Intro to World Religions (5A)
- GEO 101: Human & Cultural Geography (5A)
- SOC 101: Intro to Sociology (5A)
- any History course (5B)
- PHI 102: Ethics in America (5D)
- PHI 103: Ethics - Theory & Practice (5D)

Then, whichever of those you choose, mark that section completed and do the remaining sections at Sophia
5A - Religion or Sociology (if you don't choose a 5A course from above)
5B - US History I or II (if you don't choose a 5B course from above)
5D - Intro to Ethics (if you don't choose a 5D course from above)

Then all that will be remaining are the 30cr at UMPI, which will consist of your minor (PM) and any remaining UL credits you need to do, as well as HUM103.

RE: AAS to Bachelor degree - uncapentin - 11-28-2021

(11-27-2021, 04:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For certs - the one that's college credit just comes in as college credit, the one that's from ebuilder I have no idea about, since I don't know what that is.  She'd have to look it up in the ACE national guide.

Here's what I show remaining, and how people usually get the credits (85cr are coming in, so don't go crazy on taking too many credits):

ICC
American Government (optional)
Spanish (definitely)

Sophia
Either Stats or College Algebra
Environmental Science

Study.com
BIO 101L: Intro to Biology w/Lab (definitely)
One of the following:
- REL 101: Intro to World Religions (5A)
- GEO 101: Human & Cultural Geography (5A)
- SOC 101: Intro to Sociology (5A)
- any History course (5B)
- PHI 102: Ethics in America (5D)
- PHI 103: Ethics - Theory & Practice (5D)

Then, whichever of those you choose, mark that section completed and do the remaining sections at Sophia
5A - Religion or Sociology (if you don't choose a 5A course from above)
5B - US History I or II (if you don't choose a 5B course from above)
5D - Intro to Ethics (if you don't choose a 5D course from above)

Then all that will be remaining are the 30cr at UMPI, which will consist of your minor (PM) and any remaining UL credits you need to do, as well as HUM103.

Wow, this is amazing a way more than I expected ! Thanks so much. This will help her wrap her head around going this route.

(11-27-2021, 03:17 PM)allvia Wrote:
(11-27-2021, 11:53 AM)uncapentin Wrote:   I'm thinking** the degree I ran across was a BAS in Construction technology or something but am not finding it. The curse of working on multiple pc's, too many bookmarks and notes. 

I think this is the thread you're thinking of - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Construction-related-degree

Based on the current career and existing work experience, I would think that the UMPI BAS w/Project Management Minor would be the most practical and likely the most affordable (quick too). If you do go this path, don't take project management through Sophia - as the UMPI project management courses build off each other.

Here is the thread about the BAS option at UMPI - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-BAS-for-AAS-holders-vs-BLS

Thank you so much. I did look into Mississippi and LSU but don't think I looked too hard at them. I found them in a deep dive, not the thread but am now going to look into them more. I have been seeing/reading quite a bit about UMPI the last few months, but mostly only in this forum. They really seem to be a great avenue for some. All of you give such good advice.