Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: WGU - Western Governors University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-WGU-Western-Governors-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester (/Thread-Are-55-credits-doable-in-1-semester)

Pages: 1 2

Are 55 Credits Doable in 1 Semester? WGU BS IT Management - mohelena02 - 01-17-2022

Hi Everyone!
I am supposed to start on March 1st towards my BS in IT Management. I will likely have about 55 credits to go, is this doable in 1 semester? I would like to stick to 1 semester if possible for financial reasons. I am budgeting so I can start a Masters program after. I started working on credits from zero last October on Sophia and Study.com , but I worry that the classes left will be more difficult so I am worried for time and wether or not I should spend a few more months working on Study.com classes. Here is my current classes spreadsheet that I am working through.
Also -- does anyone suggest me working through the two Study.com accounting classes for the credit or should I do accounting at WGU?

For context, I have 15+ years in business management but not a lot of experience with IT. Thank you in advance!

Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - mohelena02 - 01-17-2022

Hi Everyone!
I am supposed to start on March 1st towards my BS in IT Management. I will likely have about 55 credits to go, is this doable in 1 semester? I would like to stick to 1 semester if possible for financial reasons. I am budgeting so I can start a Masters program after. I started working on credits from zero last October on Sophia and Study.com , but I worry that the classes left will be more difficult so I am worried for time and wether or not I should spend a few more months working on Study.com classes. Here is my current classes spreadsheet that I am working through.
Also -- does anyone suggest me working through the two Study.com accounting classes for the credit or should I do accounting at WGU?

For context, I have 15+ years in business management but not a lot of experience with IT. Thank you in advance!

RE: Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - MNomadic - 01-17-2022

There are examples of people doing it. They are outliers. The majority of people don't move that fast. No one can tell you what you can do or how fast you can do it.

RE: Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - bjcheung77 - 01-17-2022

If you have the energy/time to get things done, the cost of completing this in one term is very attractive. Having said that, you should maximize all transfers before completing the remainder at WGU if you can... It all depends on what's currently on your plate of commitments, the more stuff you have to do, I highly recommend completing the max transfer before. If you've got absolutely nothing on your plate of commitments, then try finishing it within a term... but you need to be prepared (financially too) if it drags onto a second term.

RE: Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - allvia - 01-18-2022

The more you can transfer in before you begin the better; even if it means you push back your enrollment by a month. The less credits you need to earn in the term the more likely you'll be able to active the goal.  It is far more realistic to complete 30 credits in the term than 55. I'm sure if you post which WGU degree, and what you have left to complete for the program people here will have suggestions for you.

RE: Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - mohelena02 - 01-18-2022

(01-17-2022, 09:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If you have the energy/time to get things done, the cost of completing this in one term is very attractive.  Having said that, you should maximize all transfers before completing the remainder at WGU if you can...  It all depends on what's currently on your plate of commitments, the more stuff you have to do, I highly recommend completing the max transfer before.  If you've got absolutely nothing on your plate of commitments, then try finishing it within a term... but you need to be prepared (financially too) if it drags onto a second term.

Thanks! Considering I want to save as much money as possible I will likely push back my start date a bit.

RE: Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - rachel83az - 01-18-2022

How fast are you getting through the SDC courses? If you're not doing at least 3-4 courses per month, I think you'll struggle to complete 55 credits at WGU in 6 months.

RE: Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - mohelena02 - 01-18-2022

(01-18-2022, 09:53 AM)rachel83az Wrote: How fast are you getting through the SDC courses? If you're not doing at least 3-4 courses per month, I think you'll struggle to complete 55 credits at WGU in 6 months.

I'm doing 4-5 courses per week, but I feel like I have been completing 'easier' courses for me, so I worry the WGU classes would be more difficult and require more time.

RE: Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - LevelUP - 01-18-2022

What I would do is look at each individual class and figure out if it would be easier, about the same, or harder to do at WGU.  Then plan according. 

For example, people say Critical Thinking is easier at WGU so you may as well do it there.

RE: Are 55 credits doable in 1 semester - bluebooger - 01-18-2022

do you have children you need to take care of
do you have a full time job
does your job require you to be on call
do you have any experience (computer networking, accounting)
no one can tell you if its doable if they don't know your background