Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: EU - Excelsior University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-EU-Excelsior-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan (/Thread-OTmina-Excelsior-Degree-Plan)

Pages: 1 2 3

OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan - OTmina - 03-15-2022

Hello,
I just got my evaluation from EC. They said I have only 95 units to finish the Bachelor of Science Liberal art, and that I need 21 units of the following Upper Level 

Cornerstone requirement 3.0 
Written English 2.0 
Humanities Distribution 0.0
Humanities Requirement** 0.0
Ethics 0.0 
Social Sciences/History Distribution 0.0
Natural Sciences/Math Distribution 0.0
Math Requirement 0.0
Natural Science requirement 0.0 I
nformation Literacy 1.0 
Capstone Course 3.0 
Any suggestions on how can I test or get some of them. Thank you very much.

Ps. I had more than 200 units that includes the upper level, however, they only accept 6 units from them.
      I also have an international transcript that has only Math-Physics courses that I did not send them.
     I am also a certified Occupational Therapy assistant that I completed at Santa Ana College in Ca.

RE: Excelsior Upper Level Credits - ss20ts - 03-15-2022

What you've listed says you only need Cornerstone, Written English, Information Literacy, and Capstone. Cornerstone, Info Lit, and Capstone can only be completed at Excelsior.

Where did you have over 200 UL credits from?

RE: Excelsior Upper Level Credits - OTmina - 03-16-2022

(03-15-2022, 03:38 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What you've listed says you only need Cornerstone, Written English, Information Literacy, and Capstone. Cornerstone, Info Lit, and Capstone can only be completed at Excelsior.

Where did you have over 200 UL credits from?

Thank you for your replay,
Yes I need a total of 25 units which I am trying to test for :

written English 2
Humanities Distribution 
Humanities Requirement
Ethics 
Social Sciences/History Distribution
Natural Sciences/Math Distribution 
Math Requirement 
Natural Science requirement 

I was enrolled in Santa Ana College in a Bachelor of Occupational Study. The first 2 years of the program allowed me to have an AA in occupational therapy assistant , the 3rd year allowed me to have like 8 upper level courses ( EC only accept 2 classes as professional training ). 
I did not have any math class in Santa Ana College because I tested out for it. My degree evaluation from Morocco an AA in Math-physics and one year upper division Math. 
I took the Clep for French 1 and 2 but EC used it for Lower level class.
Ps: all the classes that I have are transfer classes to UC.

RE: OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan - bjcheung77 - 03-16-2022

Hey, I've split your thread into a separate one as it has nothing to do with the previous posts...  There are three courses you must complete at Excelsior college, the cornerstone/capstone and info literacy, the rest can come from Sophia.org/Study.com and Davar Academy.  

Anyways, what may help is to list your credit evaluation, if you have a pdf, attach it to a reply - just remove your personal info.  It's hard to provide you options if we don't even know what you have taken already, we'll be providing course recommendations and you may already have them!

RE: OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan - OTmina - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 02:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, I've split your thread into a separate one as it has nothing to do with the previous posts...  There are three courses you must complete at Excelsior college, the cornerstone/capstone and info literacy, the rest can come from Sophia.org/Study.com and Davar Academy.  

Anyways, what may help is to list your credit evaluation, if you have a pdf, attach it to a reply - just remove your personal info.  It's hard to provide you options if we don't even know what you have taken already, we'll be providing course recommendations and you may already have them!

RE: OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan - bjcheung77 - 03-16-2022

That’s exactly what I thought it would be, the majority or your requirements show 0, thus it’s not even needed. You must do the 3 I mentioned above at Excelsior. You just need 7 Upper Level courses in Arts or Sciences, 1 of these can be Anything such as Business, plus English II.

Just wondering, do you have a budget? Tuition assistance or reimbursement? Why Excelsior and not COSC, TESU or UMPI? How much time can you spend on your study a day? Do you want alternative test out options or competency based assessment and assignments? Decide...

RE: OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan - OTmina - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 03:27 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That’s exactly what I thought it would be, the majority or your requirements show 0, thus it’s not even needed.  You must do the 3 I mentioned above at Excelsior.  You just need 7 Upper Level courses in Arts or Sciences, 1 of these can be Anything such as Business, plus English II.

Just wondering, do you have a budget? Tuition assistance or reimbursement? Why Excelsior and not COSC, TESU or UMPI? How much time can you spend on your study a day?  Do you want alternative test out options or competency based assessment and assignments? Decide...

Thank you for your input. I applied to EC because I was hoping that I will just have to do the Capstone, cornerstone and Info Literacy. I have a very limited budget ( under $5,000). I will not be qualified for any financial aid. I am woking full time, and have 3 kids. My plan is to finish a Bachelor at low possible cost and as fast as I can. I can spend 1-2 hours a day studying. I don't mind testing or any major all suggestion are welcome. It does not matter which school. 
I appreciate  all the help and guidance that I can get.

RE: OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan - bjcheung77 - 03-17-2022

1) Your first step right now is to find out which provider you're going to take the English II course from.  My suggestion is to take it from either Sophia.org, Study.com, etc... if you're going the ACE route as I recall they don't take the CLEP/MS option.   

2) LawShelf which has NCCRS recommendation for credit is your new best friend if these courses can be used in the Arts/Sciences.  Courses are free, exam is $35/course.  Email your EC Academic Advisor to ask permission to use these courses and provide them this link: https://lawshelf.com/assets/pdf/Excelsior.pdf

3) Another option for cheap UL credit is Saylor.org which is ACE recommendation for credit has Operations Management and Project Management, each can be had only for $5/course... OR take Davar Academy NCCRS classes, some may be upper level, for two it's $99 and $15/proctor fee each, so a total of $129/2 courses and exams.

RE: OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan - rachel83az - 03-17-2022

I would not take English Comp II from Sophia or Study.com. For roughly the same price, you can do College Writing II at Olivet Nazarene University (https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Olivet_Nazarene_University) and with less stress about time running out. ONU is $150, due only AFTER you finish the class. Two months of Sophia would be $200. Every month of Study.com is $200.

It'd be different if you had a bunch of courses to take from Sophia and/or SDC anyway, but you don't. ONU will be cheaper in the long run, especially if you use LawShelf and/or Saylor.

Definitely get approval first and take it to the registrar if you have to, though.

RE: OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan - OTmina - 03-17-2022

(03-17-2022, 12:07 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: 1) Your first step right now is to find out which provider you're going to take the English II course from.  My suggestion is to take it from either Sophia.org, Study.com, etc... if you're going the ACE route as I recall they don't take the CLEP/MS option.   

2) LawShelf which has NCCRS recommendation for credit is your new best friend if these courses can be used in the Arts/Sciences.  Courses are free, exam is $35/course.  Email your EC Academic Advisor to ask permission to use these courses and provide them this link: https://lawshelf.com/assets/pdf/Excelsior.pdf

3) Another option for cheap UL credit is Saylor.org which is ACE recommendation for credit has Operations Management and Project Management, each can be had only for $5/course... OR take Davar Academy NCCRS classes, some may be upper level, for two it's $99 and $15/proctor fee each, so a total of $129/2 courses and exams.
Thank you so much, I will follow your directions and let you know.

(03-17-2022, 02:31 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I would not take English Comp II from Sophia or Study.com. For roughly the same price, you can do College Writing II at Olivet Nazarene University (https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Olivet_Nazarene_University) and with less stress about time running out. ONU is $150, due only AFTER you finish the class. Two months of Sophia would be $200. Every month of Study.com is $200.

It'd be different if you had a bunch of courses to take from Sophia and/or SDC anyway, but you don't. ONU will be cheaper in the long run, especially if you use LawShelf and/or Saylor.

Definitely get approval first and take it to the registrar if you have to, though.

Thank you so much, will check it out.