Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Spanish I now on Sophia - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Spanish I now on Sophia (/Thread-Spanish-I-now-on-Sophia)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Spanish I now on Sophia - learningthehardway - 05-16-2022

Just got the email back from my inquiry on Sophia and was told Spanish I launches today. I just went to look and sure enough it is there.

RE: Spanish I now on Sophia - rachel83az - 05-16-2022

It's in a separate "Language" category, which hints to the possibility of things like Spanish II or French in the future.

It has 3 Milestones + final Milestone. All Milestones count towards grade.

There are 5 Touchstones.

Touchstone #1: 100 word composition about yourself in Spanish.
Touchstone #2: Video of you saying things similar to what goes into Touchstone #1.
Touchstone #3: 150-200 written words about your family.
Touchstone #4: 150-200 written words about your hobbies/things you like to do.
Touchstone #5: Video, same content as Touchstone #4.

RE: Spanish I now on Sophia - Vle045 - 05-16-2022

Seems pretty solid. The workload sounds very similar to what my son had to do for French 1 in school last year. (He was online all year last year due to COVID).

RE: Spanish I now on Sophia - learningthehardway - 05-16-2022

(05-16-2022, 12:34 PM)rachel83az Wrote: It's in a separate "Language" category, which hints to the possibility of things like Spanish II or French in the future.

There are 5 Touchstones.

Touchstone #2: Video of you saying things similar to what goes into Touchstone #1.
Thanks. I was going to highlight then come back but someone hit me with extra work soon as I was going to. Gotta love the Job! Lol

RE: Spanish I now on Sophia - P226mem - 05-16-2022

(05-16-2022, 12:34 PM)rachel83az Wrote: It's in a separate "Language" category, which hints to the possibility of things like Spanish II or French in the future.

There are 5 Touchstones.

ooh, two hints they'll do Spanish 2.  first one was on this https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-This-could-be-great-Spanish-Sophia?pid=366494#pid366494

exciting!

RE: Spanish I now on Sophia - bjcheung77 - 05-16-2022

That's great, this option is a much better one than StraighterLine, so much more cost effective as well... I do hope they come up with Spanish II as well...

RE: Spanish I now on Sophia - Vle045 - 05-16-2022

I am hoping for French to be added as well. (So my son can get the college credit without having to choose another language)

RE: Spanish I now on Sophia - cryscryscryscrys - 05-17-2022

I'm really loving it! I recommend for anybody who struggled with IC or Study.com. Highly recommend!!

RE: Spanish I now on Sophia - bjcheung77 - 05-18-2022

I think Spanish at this time is the only language that's available through alternative credit, unless you look at CLEP which has French and German, or for high schoolers - AP/IB languages. Other than that, dual enrollment may allow different languages that's not offered.

RE: Spanish I now on Sophia - cryscryscryscrys - 05-25-2022

So I wanted to give an update on Spanish I since I just completed it. It took about 1 1/2 week to finish it and that was with breaks in between, I believe you could finish this course in a week. They were pretty quick with the grading assignments. It only took 3 days at most. I was able to submit 3 assignments (touchstone 1.1, 2.1, and 3.1) at the same time. The speaking portion wasn't that bad and if you are having trouble I used google translate in my ear to help me pronounce the words at little bit better but also practice if you are taking your time. The writing portion takes less than 10 minutes and you can use that assignment for the oral part. I highly recommend this over IC and study.com if you have a hard time learning languages.