Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades (/Thread-Charter-Oak-Requiring-80-Study-com-Course-Grades)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - Jonathan Whatley - 06-14-2022

The transfer page for COSC at Study.com now states, in the main body immediately under the list of course equivalencies, "As of July 1, 2022, Charter Oak State College requires a minimum 80% course grade in order to transfer credit."

DegreeForum members have previously reported an 80% minimum for transfer to UMass Global formerly Brandman.

RE: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - origamishuttle - 06-14-2022

(06-14-2022, 10:08 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: The transfer page for COSC at Study.com now states, in the main body immediately under the list of course equivalencies, "As of July 1, 2022, Charter Oak State College requires a minimum 80% course grade in order to transfer credit."

DegreeForum members have previously reported an 80% minimum for transfer to UMass Global formerly Brandman.

Thank you for sharing! I'm currently trying to get three Study.com courses to COSC under the wire.

Oddly enough, UMass Global is 81.5% for all transfers.

RE: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - SteveFoerster - 06-14-2022

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimag...f=1&nofb=1]

RE: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - Pats20 - 06-14-2022

I think the big three are getting greedy. They think they will corner people into taking their own courses instead. Their  allure is the fact that they accept these kinds of credit. They are slowly driving away many of their customers to regular state schools. Because at the end of the day. Without study.com , excell exams . Sophia , ect ect. What’s the point in going to tesu or charter oaks if there isn’t going to be an advantage over everyone else. Because god knows their pricing isn’t any cheaper.

RE: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - ss20ts - 06-14-2022

(06-14-2022, 12:29 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I think the big three are getting greedy. They think they will corner people into taking their own courses instead. Their  allure is the fact that they accept these kinds of credit. They are slowly driving away many of their customers to regular state schools. Because at the end of the day. Without study.com , excell exams . Sophia , ect ect. What’s the point in going to tesu or charter oaks if there isn’t going to be an advantage over everyone else. Because god knows their pricing isn’t any cheaper.

Everyone isn't worried about pricing. How do you think private schools exist? I mean University of Phoenix milked people out of millions. It's not like it's a degree from Harvard.

RE: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - LevelUP - 06-14-2022

July 1st strikes again.

This makes it harder to recommend CharterOak.

RE: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - origamishuttle - 06-14-2022

(06-14-2022, 02:03 PM)LevelUP Wrote: July 1st strikes again.

This makes it harder to recommend CharterOak.

They're also telling me it's likely that, starting July 1st, at least some of the Study.com courses won't be accepted at all. Namely CS302 & CS303, which I need for my degree, but probably others.

RE: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - Pats20 - 06-14-2022

(06-14-2022, 12:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 12:29 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I think the big three are getting greedy. They think they will corner people into taking their own courses instead. Their  allure is the fact that they accept these kinds of credit. They are slowly driving away many of their customers to regular state schools. Because at the end of the day. Without study.com , excell exams . Sophia , ect ect. What’s the point in going to tesu or charter oaks if there isn’t going to be an advantage over everyone else. Because god knows their pricing isn’t any cheaper.

Everyone isn't worried about pricing. How do you think private schools exist? I mean University of Phoenix milked people out of millions. It's not like it's a degree from Harvard.
I understand that. My point was at $5-$600 per credit hour. A person may as well go to their own state school if the big three are going to eliminate the reason a lot of people choose them to begin with.

RE: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - dfrecore - 06-14-2022

There are plenty of other options, including schools that will take 90cr of ACE. People will just end up at those schools instead.

RE: Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades - ss20ts - 06-14-2022

(06-14-2022, 03:21 PM)Pats20 Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 12:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

I understand that. My point was at $5-$600 per credit hour. A person may as well go to their own state school if the big three are going to eliminate the reason a lot of people choose them to begin with.

State schools rarely accept ACE credits. State schools charge an arm and a leg in fees quite often. Sometimes as much or more than tuition. That's always fun. State schools are far more competitive. Tuition in my state is over $400 p/c for in state tuition. Even state schools have a minimum GPA requirement. And 80 really isn't that high of a grade to achieve. I mean for grad school most won't accept someone who has below a 3.0. There are grad programs that won't even look at your application if it's not a 3.5 or above. An 80 is barely above average. These courses on a college campus tend to take longer, have far more assignments, and be more difficult. I personally haven't found any of the ACE courses I took to be more difficult than an on campus course. All of them were significantly easier with the exception of Sophia's Eng Comp2 which has horrible grading and takes weeks to be graded.  

I'm on a few social media groups for Sophia and I'm constantly surprised by how many people struggle with many of their courses. I've seen people complain that Visual Communications was too challenging. If that course is challenging then quite frankly that person is going to really struggle in college and college may not be for them. I'm on several WGU group and I'm amazed at the courses people struggle with. I'm not talking about the ULs. I'm talking about the LL gen eds that should be very easy for someone in college. I'm not talking about math or science which many people do struggle with. I'm seeing many students take their exam 3,4 times. You wouldn't get those multiple chances at a state school. If you fail then you fail. There's no do over.