Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed (/Thread-TESU-BSBA-CIS-Pathway-Needed)

Pages: 1 2

TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - GoLurker22 - 06-18-2022

Good Evening,

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time, and am now in a position to start knocking out a degree plan. My ideal degree would be in Computer Science, however, it seems that it will be much less feasible after reading the post about some of the Study.com credits being potentially eliminated. My second choice would be a BSBA in CIS. I'm well aware that this isn't quite computer science, yet I am willing to settle and go this route. 

I know for a fact that I will need to take English Composition II, and I do not feel that I will have any problems passing the course if I do take it. These days, I have much less motivation than I did in my younger years to respond to dull essay prompts, so I'm thinking of possibly doing the ModernStates and getting the CLEP voucher. I'm not sure if anyone else on this forum has gone this route, or if someone would rather recommend another potentially easier alternative?

A little bit about me:
Degree Desired: Computer Information Systems

Total Credits (Regionally Accredited, ACE):

Cerro Coso College 2018
HSCI C101 Principles of Health Education A 3.0
ANTH C131 Archaeology B 3.0
CSCI C142 Info & Comm Tech Essentials A 4.0
ECON C101 Introduction to Economics B 3.0

Rio Salado College 2011
ENG 101  First Year Composition B 3.0
MAT 082  Basic Arithmetic A 3.0
ACC 111  Accounting Principles 1 C 3.0
MAT 092  Introductory Algebra C 3.0

MiraCosta College 2014
CSIT 110 Computer Applications B 3.0
CSIT 128 Microsoft Excel for Business B 3.0

ACE Credits

Study.com (2021 - early 2022)
MATH 103 Precalculus
CS 201 Data Structures & Algorithms
CS 115 Programming in Java
CS 109 Intro to Programming

Sophia
College Algebra (CA1001 - 2019)
US History 1 (HIST1001)
US History 2 (HIST1002)
Macroeconomics (ECON1001)

Upon looking at the TESU degree requirements (https://www.tesu.edu/business/undergraduate/bsba/computer-information-systems), it looks as if I have a bit of a ways to go. My plan would be to try to move as quickly as possible and take one course per week, with pass/fail courses being the most ideal. I will take the approach of completing all of the possible credits via alternative sources (Sophia/Study/potentially CLEP), and once I'm close to the maximum threshold, I'll apply to the school.

If anyone on here could assist me with a roadmap to get me to the finish line, I would very much so appreciate it. I hope to resume ASAP. Thanks for reading!

RE: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - carrythenothing - 06-19-2022

The general advice with TESU is to apply/enroll (e.g., with a TECEP exam) sooner rather than later. That locks in the current catalog and allows for updated evaluations as you earn credits.

RE: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - LevelUP - 06-19-2022

GoLurker22, welcome to the forum!

My thoughts on Study.com CS courses speculation

These threads and posts about all these Study.com CS courses being eliminated soon are borderline misinformation.

There are real-world consequences of discouraging new students from pursuing CS degrees from TESU, and maybe we should think about nuking these threads/posts or at the very least put some large disclaimers on them.

Providing a million what-if situations for every school seems to confuse people more than help.

Enroll TESU

You already earned many credits, so you should apply to TESU now and lock in your degree plan. The $50 a year for TECEP is cheap insurance to limit your risk if something does change in the future.

English Comp CLEP

I did the English Comp CLEP. It was quick and easy to go that route.

BSBA CIS + ASNSM in Computer Science

If you do the BSBA CIS, I STRONGLY recommend at least getting the free ASNSM in Computer Science as in your case, you already have 9CS credits, and once you do the CIS, you'll have all of the required 18cr.

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/computer-science

Wrap Up

Doing one course a week is a good plan.

I suggest you make a spreadsheet for the BSBA CIS and then upload it so we can review it.

RE: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - rachel83az - 06-19-2022

Check out the wiki for suggested classes for this degree:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_General_Education_Requirements_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_Business_Core_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_BSBA_CIS_Degree_Plan

RE: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - bjcheung77 - 06-19-2022

@GoLurker22, Depending on your answers to the template addendum, you may want to see if UMPI BABA PM (IS) will be sufficient for you.  I really suggest providing more details as it will determine which course of action may be more suitable for you.  Template addendum is the last post of this Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works

Since both schools (TESU/UMPI) will require you to have 30 RA credits, it may be better if you have the energy, time, etc to go the UMPI route, you need to complete 30 credits with them.  If you're strapped for energy, time and want to go very slowly at your pace, then TESU is the option I recommend.  You also need to decide if you want to pay the residency waiver fee or go the 16 residency credit route at TESU.

RE: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - dfrecore - 06-19-2022

I'm almost positive TESU will be accepting the CS credits going forward. Once I know something, I will post. For now, I say to plan for the BACS degree and only change when you know with 100% certainty that the credits will not be accepted.

RE: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - GoLurker22 - 06-19-2022

(06-19-2022, 11:20 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @GoLurker22, Depending on your answers to the template addendum, you may want to see if UMPI BABA PM (IS) will be sufficient for you.  I really suggest providing more details as it will determine which course of action may be more suitable for you.  Template addendum is the last post of this Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works

Since both schools (TESU/UMPI) will require you to have 30 RA credits, it may be better if you have the energy, time, etc to go the UMPI route, you need to complete 30 credits with them.  If you're strapped for energy, time and want to go very slowly at your pace, then TESU is the option I recommend.  You also need to decide if you want to pay the residency waiver fee or go the 16 residency credit route at TESU.

Good Evening bjcheung77,

My apologies, I neglected to read the entire thread ?‍♂️.  

Study.com scores: I attempted to gather this information from the website. My subscription is inactive and Credly only shows that I successfully completed and passed the courses, so I was not able to see the scores via Credly or Study.com

I have zero military experience and zero certifications.

Budget: As little as humanly possible. I'm thinking that (from what I've read in previous posts) the residency waiver fee will be the way to go. In the total worst case scenario, I could either take out a student loan or liquidate some stocks to cover the cost of attendance, or possibly even save up if it's < $6,000.00; covering the cost shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I'd like to avoid going into long-term debt if at all possible. 

Commitments: I live by myself and work from home, so outside of work I don't really have any real significant responsibilities, so I should be able to quickly breeze through courses. 

Study time: At least a few hours per day. 

Timeline: It's a shot in the dark, but if I stay laser-focused, I'm hoping to have it completed within 5 months of today, so no later than 11/19/2022. This should be feasible going the CIS route.

Tuition Reimbursement: Yes, this is a possibility. I may not go this route as I'd ideally like to leave this company within the next 6-8 months.

Thank you very much, I'll look forward to the post.

(06-19-2022, 06:01 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: The general advice with TESU is to apply/enroll (e.g., with a TECEP exam) sooner rather than later. That locks in the current catalog and allows for updated evaluations as you earn credits.

This is definitely something that I will do by the end of this week at the very latest. Good advice. Initially, I was under the impression that it may not be worth my while until I've accumulated some more credits.

RE: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - bjcheung77 - 06-19-2022

@GoLurker22, I am more inclined to recommend the UMPI BABA PM (IS) option instead. You just need a Biology with Lab from Study.com and Spanish I course on Sophia.org to get into the program. This would be cheaper, easier, faster than the TESU BSBA CIS option and gives you extra concentration in Project Management & Info Systems. If you finish in 3 sessions, it'll only cost you $4200 ($1400/session), several people were able to complete a degree in two sessions, but I wouldn't rush it as these are graded credits, it would look better for grad school as well than TESU as most people only take the cornerstone/capstone with them.

RE: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - ss20ts - 06-19-2022

(06-19-2022, 06:55 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @GoLurker22, I am more inclined to recommend the UMPI BABA PM (IS) option instead.  You just need a Biology with Lab from Study.com and Spanish I course on Sophia.org to get into the program.  This would be cheaper, easier, faster than the TESU BSBA CIS option and gives you extra concentration in Project Management & Info Systems.  If you finish in 3 sessions, it'll only cost you $4200 ($1400/session), several people were able to complete a degree in two sessions, but I wouldn't rush it as these are graded credits, it would look better for grad school as well than TESU as most people only take the cornerstone/capstone with them.

They finish the degree in 2-3 sessions because they've transferred in 90 usable credits. The OP doesn't have 90 transferable credits. The GEC is 40 credits alone and the OP has less than half of it completed.

RE: TESU BSBA CIS - Pathway Needed - GoLurker22 - 06-19-2022

(06-19-2022, 06:55 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @GoLurker22, I am more inclined to recommend the UMPI BABA PM (IS) option instead.  You just need a Biology with Lab from Study.com and Spanish I course on Sophia.org to get into the program.  This would be cheaper, easier, faster than the TESU BSBA CIS option and gives you extra concentration in Project Management & Info Systems.  If you finish in 3 sessions, it'll only cost you $4200 ($1400/session), several people were able to complete a degree in two sessions, but I wouldn't rush it as these are graded credits, it would look better for grad school as well than TESU as most people only take the cornerstone/capstone with them.

Thank you bjcheung77, I will definitely put some consideration on this. I've noticed that many are talking about UMPI now on this forum, and I haven't read up on it very thoroughly. I did notice that many people have mentioned that their curriculum involves a significant amount of writing papers, which is why I was a little less-inclined to go this route. $2800 - $4200 is an extremely reasonable range for a degree these days, so it's definitely an option worth considering. In the meantime, I just started Business Law with Sophia yesterday, and am hoping to finish it up either tonight or tomorrow if all goes well. Also, I've taken 2 months of Study.com at a discounted rate, and I believe that I'm eligible for one more month if I resume the account. 

In the event that I decided to go the UMPI route, would it be better to: 1) finish up Business Law, 2) take and complete Spanish 1 at Sophia next, 3) then take the Study.com Bio with lab, 4) apply to UMPI and take my second required English class there? I'm definitely going to give this option some strong consideration.