Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Learning Management System - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Learning Management System (/Thread-Learning-Management-System)

Pages: 1 2

Learning Management System - Vle045 - 06-22-2022

I just saw in the newsletter that my school is looking at possibly changing their learning management system.  They are currently on iCampus and considering Canvas among “others”.  So, out of curiosity…. What do you like?

RE: Learning Management System - bjcheung77 - 06-22-2022

There are a few, colleges/institutes and universities sometimes have their own or use a service that's available such as Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle, etc. And some use other services such as the MOOCs or partner with Coursera, Edx, FutureLearn, UpGrad and Udacity. I think there are too many available, each has their pros/cons, but the Big 3 so far is Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle.

RE: Learning Management System - carrythenothing - 06-23-2022

I'm most familiar with Moodle (undergraduate, graduate, and Saylor Academy).

I used Brightspace for a class at Oakton.

The ASU/Thunderbird 100 Million Learners coursework is on Canvas.

RE: Learning Management System - Vle045 - 06-23-2022

I think Moodle is a little clunky. I used that on Saylor and UoPeople. I wasn't crazy about it, but it does do the trick.

I am using Canvas on the Thunderbird free classes. I kind of like it. Although from time to time, I get a little lost. That might be due to the way the free classes are set up, I am not sure. I can't seem to pick up where I left off. I have to click around and get to the list where I can see what appears to be completed.

RE: Learning Management System - LevelUP - 06-23-2022

Moodle is amateurish. There isn't much development behind it. It also looks outdated. 

Brightspace seems to be the popular choice. With a cloud solution, colleges don't have to worry as much about security risks.

(06-23-2022, 09:05 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Moodle is amateurish. There isn't much development behind it. It also looks outdated. 

Brightspace seems to be the popular choice. With a cloud solution, colleges don't have to worry as much about security risks.

Is Brightspace the same as or related to Canvas?  I feel like I have seen links with both when I am on ASU/Thunderbird

Oh wait. I think I am mistaken… that was “instructure” not Brightspace that I saw in the ASU links

RE: Learning Management System - ss20ts - 06-23-2022

I've used Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, and Strut. Moodle is by far my least favorite. Everything about it feels like I'm in 1995. Canvas is my favorite of these. I found Canvas to have a very clean look. Everything you need is easy to find. There is a good amount of whitespace so your eyes and brain aren't freaking out looking at the screen. They use really good fonts. I'm using Moodle right now and it's very inconsistent. The spacing between assignments from professors and in the discussions is random at best. It looks like a 10 year created it while they were sleeping.

ETA: Brightspace and Canvas aren't related. They're owned by different companies.

RE: Learning Management System - SteveFoerster - 06-23-2022

(06-23-2022, 09:05 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Moodle is amateurish. There isn't much development behind it. It also looks outdated. 

Have to disagree. Moodle isn't my favorite either, but in fairness there is a lot of development behind it. In fact they just released version 4.0.

(06-23-2022, 08:00 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:

Have to disagree. Moodle isn't my favorite either, but in fairness there is a lot of development behind it. In fact they just released version 4.0.
I can see where something could look old but at the same time be robust.  By comparison, I’ve used ProgressBook’s DASL which is a student information program.  It looks like it’s DOS based.  But it is so much more useful in a lot of ways than it’s pretty competitor PowerSchool.

RE: Learning Management System - Jonathan Whatley - 06-23-2022

Moodle is open source, which lends itself to an institution changing the interface and features.