Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: WGU - Western Governors University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-WGU-Western-Governors-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? (/Thread-WGU-faster-to-just-do-it-all-there-or-Sophia-Study-com)

Pages: 1 2

WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - esh - 07-31-2022

Curious if its faster to complete courses all through WGU - 
or if you can have a faster completion rate through Sophia or study.com ???

Cost isn't the issue. Time is a more important factor.

I've read differing opinions on this.

Some saying that if you already know much of the material, than WGU courses can be completed in a day or two.

Appreciate your input.

RE: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - rachel83az - 07-31-2022

It's my understanding that if you want a degree ASAP, you should mix Sophia + SDC and WGU. You might not be finished any sooner, but you will get your degree sooner. How?

You start off by gathering credits from SDC & Sophia. This takes you 3 months. (Some of these would take significantly longer at WGU, too.) You start WGU and finish that in 5.5 months. Obtain degree at end of 6 months. Total time to degree: 9 months.

Or, the pure WGU route: you start and are able to finish all of your classes at WGU in 7 months. But they don't actually award degrees until the end of the term. Time to degree: 12 months.

RE: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - Courcelles - 07-31-2022

(07-31-2022, 07:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's my understanding that if you want a degree ASAP, you should mix Sophia + SDC and WGU. You might not be finished any sooner, but you will get your degree sooner. How?

You start off by gathering credits from SDC & Sophia. This takes you 3 months. (Some of these would take significantly longer at WGU, too.) You start WGU and finish that in 5.5 months. Obtain degree at end of 6 months. Total time to degree: 9 months.

Or, the pure WGU route: you start and are able to finish all of your classes at WGU in 7 months. But they don't actually award degrees until the end of the term. Time to degree: 12 months.

That isn’t true. When you’re done, you’re done. Both times I’ve graduated from. WGU, I formally graduated within a week and got my diploma about 14 days later. 

You have to wait out your term if you want to start a second program, but not to graduate and get the diploma. That’s done every day once your final course shows as passed, and you then formally apply for graduation.

RE: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - LevelUP - 07-31-2022

Which degree are you doing?

For most classes, it is easier or similar speed to do them via Sophia or Study.com.

The English Comps and Critical Thinking course might be quicker to do at WGU.

RE: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - rachel83az - 07-31-2022

(07-31-2022, 07:55 AM)Courcelles Wrote: That isn’t true. When you’re done, you’re done. Both times I’ve graduated from. WGU, I formally graduated within a week and got my diploma about 14 days later. 

You have to wait out your term if you want to start a second program, but not to graduate and get the diploma. That’s done every day once your final course shows as passed, and you then formally apply for graduation.

Really? Because I am pretty sure that a couple of WGU students here wanted to continue on to a grad school at a specific time, but they weren't able to do so because the term didn't end for another month or two.

RE: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - allvia - 07-31-2022

(07-31-2022, 08:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 07:55 AM)Courcelles Wrote: That isn’t true. When you’re done, you’re done. Both times I’ve graduated from. WGU, I formally graduated within a week and got my diploma about 14 days later. 

Really? Because I am pretty sure that a couple of WGU students here wanted to continue on to a grad school at a specific time, but they weren't able to do so because the term didn't end for another month or two.

As crazy as it sounds they did graduate as soon as they were 'done' but WGU wouldn't let them move to the master until their agreed to term was over (so even if they graduated, degree in hand, in month 2 of the term - they couldn't start the master for 4 more months).

RE: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - ss20ts - 07-31-2022

(07-31-2022, 07:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's my understanding that if you want a degree ASAP, you should mix Sophia + SDC and WGU. You might not be finished any sooner, but you will get your degree sooner. How?

If you finish 1 month and 3 days into your term, you graduate in a couple days. They don't make you wait until the end of your term.

RE: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - Courcelles - 07-31-2022

(07-31-2022, 08:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Going to another program is the problem, thanks to Federal financial aid rules. Not getting transcripts and a diploma for the one you finished. 

I did both degrees in a single term each. Both diplomas were in hand, with graduation dates on them,  before formal end of the term.

RE: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - MNomadic - 07-31-2022

Just want to confirm, at WGU you graduate when you're done whether that's halfway through your term or something else. The issue is regarding whether they can start another program at WGU due to how the regulations are set up.

As for the OP's question: it depends. Depending on your major a lot of your classes may consist of a single test. If you already know the subject, that means you can just start the class and pass it within a few hours. Other classes have projects/papers so again, if you already know the topic, you can just start writing and the class will take you as long as it takes you to finish the paper, plus grading times which is generally a few days at most, but if you coordinate with your mentor, you can have them unlock more classes while you wait).

There are certainly examples of people transferring in almost nothing and finisheing their entire degree within a single term. Those are very rare situations, though and most people take much longer. Which is faster for you? No one can say.

RE: WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? - bjcheung77 - 07-31-2022

In addition to what was mentioned, you're the one who can actually answer the query you have as you know your own commitments and schedule. Each individual scenario is different and the route they choose for their situation will be similar but not identical. You've not provided us with much details, if you did the template and addendum, we would know your background, education, experience, skills, etc. For someone who has all of the info they need to accelerate, completing everything at WGU would be easy. For someone starting out, then transfer the max from Sophia/Study.com, etc. You're most likely in between, so I would highly recommend completing the bulk from Sophia before you enroll at WGU. In fact, I am leaning to the latter, finish the max of 90 credits before beginning at WGU as you've been a senior member for some time, life happens and commitments change, you don't want to pay for a term at WGU when something unexpected happens, you can always "pause" membership from most ACE providers...