Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TAMUC Competency Based Program List - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General "Big 3", B&M colleges, and other colleges (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Big-3-B-M-colleges-and-other-colleges)
+--- Thread: TAMUC Competency Based Program List (/Thread-TAMUC-Competency-Based-Program-List)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

TAMUC Competency Based Program List - bjcheung77 - 09-06-2022

TAMUC has a few options for BAAS, if you are interested in Competency Based and are in Texas.
The requirements seem to be identical for all of them except the Major, find an option you like most.

Link: Health Services Administration (BAAS) Competency-Based - Texas A&M University-Commerce (tamuc.edu)
Link: Organizational Leadership (BAAS) Competency-Based - Texas A&M University-Commerce (tamuc.edu)
Link: Safety and Health (BAAS) Competency-Based - Texas A&M University-Commerce (tamuc.edu)

This is a program I may have missed earlier, but I see it's a BS CJ, not a BAAS CJ concentration (or am I reading that wrong?)
Link: Criminal Justice (BS) Law Enforcement Leadership Emphasis Competency-Based - Texas A&M University-Commerce (tamuc.edu)

RE: TAMUC Competency Based Program List - christinadq - 09-15-2022

This looks new: General Studies (BGS), Competency-Based

https://www.tamuc.edu/programs/general-studies-competency-based/

RE: TAMUC Competency Based Program List - allvia - 09-18-2022

(09-15-2022, 12:02 AM)christinadq Wrote: This looks new: General Studies (BGS), Competency-Based

https://www.tamuc.edu/programs/general-studies-competency-based/

Now that will do the job to check that box for many. These offerings are hard to beat if you're located in TX.  Could also be a cheap way to get some RA credits, even if located outside TX

RE: TAMUC Competency Based Program List - mohelena02 - 09-18-2022

WOW I wish I could've done this program instead of the Org Leadership one.

RE: TAMUC Competency Based Program List - bjcheung77 - 09-18-2022

It's an interesting degree to say the least, I actually just emailed the advising team about the General Studies degree to see if it's much different than the other BAAS options available. I still think the Organizational Leadership is best... Unless you're going for one of the other BAAS options because you're either in Health Services or Safety and Health professions... We'll see what they reply back, I am curious to what they would answer...

RE: TAMUC Competency Based Program List - vetvso - 09-19-2022

(09-06-2022, 07:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TAMUC has a few options for BAAS, if you are interested in Competency Based and are in Texas.
The requirements seem to be identical for all of them except the Major, find an option you like most.

Link: Health Services Administration (BAAS) Competency-Based - Texas A&M University-Commerce (tamuc.edu)
Link: Organizational Leadership (BAAS) Competency-Based - Texas A&M University-Commerce (tamuc.edu)
Link: Safety and Health (BAAS) Competency-Based - Texas A&M University-Commerce (tamuc.edu)

This is a program I may have missed earlier, but I see it's a BS CJ, not a BAAS CJ concentration (or am I reading that wrong?)
Link: Criminal Justice (BS) Law Enforcement Leadership Emphasis Competency-Based - Texas A&M University-Commerce (tamuc.edu)

When a degree is considered Competency Based what exactly does that mean? If you still need to complete the classes and tests how is it different from other degrees that are not Competency-Based?

RE: TAMUC Competency Based Program List - rachel83az - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 04:41 AM)vetvso Wrote: When a degree is considered Competency Based what exactly does that mean? If you still need to complete the classes and tests how is it different from other degrees that are not Competency-Based?

You proceed at your own pace and pay for time, not per class. The subscription models of SDC & Sophia are, essentially, competency-based alt credit providers. TEL Learning, on the other hand, is more akin to a traditional university system: pay per class. It's self-paced, but still pay per class.

Depending on how fast you are able to go through the coursework, a competency-based system can be significantly cheaper than a traditional model. If you are already busy with work, a competency-based may not be right. In that case, a competency-based degree might cost more than some of the more traditional degree programs suggested on this forum because of how long it might take you to move through the program.

RE: TAMUC Competency Based Program List - bjcheung77 - 09-19-2022

vetvso Wrote:When a degree is considered Competency Based what exactly does that mean? If you still need to complete the classes and tests how is it different from other degrees that are not Competency-Based?

In addition to what was mentioned, Competency Based are assignments, assessments, projects, presentations, exams, etc.  It's not really a class you're going through, it's a set of indicators to see if you're already proficient in that subject matter.  Once you get to a certain point of passing those indicators, you're going to be allowed to take more courses towards that degree until you finish.  The faster you finish, the less you pay for the sessions or terms.

Generally, CBE programs allow you two courses at a time, once you're done, you add more courses until the session/term is over... Here's an example using UMPI, they've got 40 courses/120 credits, max transfer of 90 credits/30 courses, you have 30 credits/10 courses left for residency.  A few members of the board completed 10+ courses in that 7-8 week session for $1400 flat... many others who completed 13-14+ courses in two sessions as they had double/triple minors for just $2800 total.

RE: TAMUC Competency Based Program List - teejayb - 09-20-2022

Heads up. TAMUC is changing up their credit requirements. 36 credits of upper level classes are now required. So in addition to the 30 credits (10 Classes) on most of these competency degrees you will need at least 2 additional 300/400 classes from a 4-year college. No community, ACE, or other classes will satisfy this requirement. This aligns with the rest of the A&M bachelor programs which require the minimum 36 UL credits.

I'm not sure if I will have to do these additional units yet, or if anyone who is starting these next semester will have to. I believe its been a big oversight on their end and I will be extremely disappointed if I have an additional 2 random classes to take soon, kind of feels like they are changing the rules mid-game. But wanted everyone to know to expect that change. It appears that they have already changed that on the general degree requirement page.

RE: TAMUC Competency Based Program List - dfrecore - 09-20-2022

(09-20-2022, 07:19 PM)teejayb Wrote: Heads up. TAMUC is changing up their credit requirements. 36 credits of upper level classes are now required. So in addition to the 30 credits (10 Classes) on most of these competency degrees you will need at least 2 additional 300/400 classes from a 4-year college. No community, ACE, or other classes will satisfy this requirement. This aligns with the rest of the A&M bachelor programs which require the minimum 36 UL credits.

I'm not sure if I will have to do these additional units yet, or if anyone who is starting these next semester will have to. I believe its been a big oversight on their end and I will be extremely disappointed if I have an additional 2 random classes to take soon, kind of feels like they are changing the rules mid-game. But wanted everyone to know to expect that change. It appears that they have already changed that on the general degree requirement page.

Didn't we already have this come up? And it turns out, the ONLY program that accepts 90cr of ACE is the BAAS in Org Leadership?  Everything else is completely different.