Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Teachers working multiple jobs? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Teachers working multiple jobs? (/Thread-Teachers-working-multiple-jobs)

Pages: 1 2

Teachers working multiple jobs? - bjcheung77 - 09-22-2022

I'm not sure how bad the teacher crisis in each state is... by reviewing what was provided in this article, some states seem better off and others worse off than the norm.  Here are 29 photo gallery pictures and a brief paragraph of information in each one.  

Note: Turn off Auto Rotation unless you can read very quickly... Link: US teachers working multiple jobs to pay the rent (msn.com)

RE: Teachers working multiple jobs? - Alpha - 09-22-2022

Every teacher I know has a second job, even if it's just to work somewhere during the Summer.

RE: Teachers working multiple jobs? - rachel83az - 09-23-2022

Teachers have been working 2nd jobs to pay the bills for decades. AFAIK, most of my teachers did that when I was a kid. It must've sucked for them, because teachers were also required to complete a certain number of continuing education hours/training each year in order to remain licensed.

RE: Teachers working multiple jobs? - nyvrem - 09-23-2022

i wanted to say 'live within your means' but then i saw some salaries are like 25k/year ?! how do you even get by on that

(09-23-2022, 03:41 AM)nyvrem Wrote: i wanted to say 'live within your means' but then i saw some salaries are like 25k/year ?! how do you even get by on that

At least in some districts, it's assumed that you'll get a summer job. So, the $25k is for 9 months, not 1 year. This gives an effective salary of about $33k/year. But that's still very low by modern standards. And most temp jobs probably don't pay $3k+ per month either.

RE: Teachers working multiple jobs? - Courcelles - 09-23-2022

(09-23-2022, 03:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 03:41 AM)nyvrem Wrote: i wanted to say 'live within your means' but then i saw some salaries are like 25k/year ?! how do you even get by on that

At least in some districts, it's assumed that you'll get a summer job. So, the $25k is for 9 months, not 1 year. This gives an effective salary of about $33k/year. But that's still very low by modern standards. And most temp jobs probably don't pay $3k+ per month either.

This coming year, teachers where I live are only not required to be in school from June 7th through August 3rd.  What jobs that pay well want to onboard folks for 8 weeks? It’s crept into a ten month job of being in the building, plus lots of PD over the Summer, for starting salary of 39k.

(09-23-2022, 05:48 AM)Courcelles Wrote: This coming year, teachers where I live are only not required to be in school from June 7th through August 3rd.  What jobs that pay well want to onboard folks for 8 weeks? It’s crept into a ten month job of being in the building, plus lots of PD over the Summer, for starting salary of 39k.

I can't argue there. But, when discussing salaries, I believe it's still assumed that only the school year is actual "work" and the teachers are being ridiculous and demanding for getting 3 months of "vacation" every year.

RE: Teachers working multiple jobs? - Pats20 - 09-23-2022

I think the consensus with civil service is you earn less in return for the benefits and pension after 27 years Of service. I have a few teachers in my family, and neighbors who are. I live in one of the poorest areas in the country. I do not know of any teachers making $25k per year. I’m not saying they’re making bank , but if I could do it again, I’d probably go that route.

RE: Teachers working multiple jobs? - ss20ts - 09-23-2022

(09-23-2022, 07:20 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I think the consensus with civil service is you earn less in return for the benefits and pension after 27 years Of service.  I have a few teachers in my family, and neighbors who are. I live in one of the poorest areas in the country. I do not know of any teachers making $25k per year. I’m not saying they’re making bank , but if I could do it again, I’d probably go that route.

Those benefits and pension are gone in many areas of the country. Ours teachers stopped receiving pensions years ago and now are stuck with 401k's like everyone else. They don't have free health insurance or health insurance for life anymore either. 

Where I live, teacher's with experience, a master's degree in their specific field of education, and both state required certifications have starting salaries around $48K. There's an inner city school that has more problems than I can count who starts at $54K. Another inner city school started the year off needing to hire 400 more teachers because so many left over the summer. I live in one of the most expensive states in the nation so $54K doesn't go very far at all. Teaching is the cushy job so many people think it is. Far from it.

RE: Teachers working multiple jobs? - Pats20 - 09-23-2022

(09-23-2022, 08:37 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 07:20 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I think the consensus with civil service is you earn less in return for the benefits and pension after 27 years Of service.  I have a few teachers in my family, and neighbors who are. I live in one of the poorest areas in the country. I do not know of any teachers making $25k per year. I’m not saying they’re making bank , but if I could do it again, I’d probably go that route.

Those benefits and pension are gone in many areas of the country. Ours teachers stopped receiving pensions years ago and now are stuck with 401k's like everyone else. They don't have free health insurance or health insurance for life anymore either. 

Where I live, teacher's with experience, a master's degree in their specific field of education, and both state required certifications have starting salaries around $48K. There's an inner city school that has more problems than I can count who starts at $54K. Another inner city school started the year off needing to hire 400 more teachers because so many left over the summer. I live in one of the most expensive states in the nation so $54K doesn't go very far at all. Teaching is the cushy job so many people think it is. Far from it.

Who said it was cushy ? I said If I could do it again I’d probably go that route. 
Also if I was or wanted to be a teacher and lived in New York I’d move. The entire country is looking for teachers , many that still have pensions and retiree benefits. Maybe not you, but that’s me.