Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change (/Thread-Harvard-Extension-School-Students-Rally-for-Degree-Name-Change)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - sanantone - 10-08-2022

(10-07-2022, 02:19 PM)ashkir Wrote: I think it is stupid and unnecessary. Harvard literally advertises "get a degree from Harvard" and hides the extension school part in their media campaigns. They know what they're doing. Now, that its gaining traction, they don't want to "water down" their overpriced in person degrees.

It's been like this for a long time, and HES students have been complaining for years. It's nothing new.

HES is not an online branch; it's a school for non-traditional students. Many of their classes are in person. Harvard has online degrees that are not from HES; those programs have the same admissions requirements as on-campus programs.

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - ifomonay - 10-08-2022

I was thinking of doing the data science program there. but I thought that no one is going to know what a Master's degree in Extension Studies is. The major for ALL programs there is "Extension Studies", so employers will think the degree is about curriculum design for adult learners.

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - Sdmj33 - 10-08-2022

(10-08-2022, 01:50 PM)ifomonay Wrote: I was thinking of doing the data science program there. but I thought that no one is going to know what a Master's degree in Extension Studies is. The major for ALL programs there is "Extension Studies", so employers will think the degree is about curriculum design for adult learners.
Would it be misrepresentation if you wrote "Masters Degree" on your CV and mentioned data science as your field of study?

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - nomaduser - 10-08-2022

I'm not a big fan of all 'extension' schools lol
That means you're getting 'less than' normal school.
Less prestige, less competitive admissions, less challenging education, etc ...

Why bother with 'extension' schools unless you're not serious about degrees?

There are many other top universities that offer 'online' version of their degree programs that don't come with 'extension' stigma.
These top school 'online' programs are interchangeable with their on-campus programs. e.g. you can start as an online student and later transfer to on-campus program.
I choose these top school online programs over any watered down 'extension' programs.

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - bjcheung77 - 10-08-2022

I'm not really a fan either of extension schools, or the Ivy League schools, actually any school that's not accommodating to student needs in a "newer" manner... Most of what they can teach probably can be learned from other high-ranking institutions, it really boils down to the student taking their initiative to learn, using their time and changing their study habits to best accomplish that educational journey...

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - nomaduser - 10-08-2022

(10-08-2022, 04:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: it really boils down to the student taking their initiative to learn, using their time and changing their study habits to best accomplish that educational journey...

I think most of 4-year universities are in this way. They make you sit down for 4 years and wait.

I said this several times. If I can go back in time, I will take 60 credits of CLEP and AP exams. 30 online community college credits or ASU online credits. I'll transfer the 90 credits to any top 200 universities and graduate in 1 year.

University is useful for only 1 year. The other essential skills need to be taught by yourself. Universities intend to teach only the strong fundamentals.
e.g. AWS Cloud Certificates, Oracle SQL certificates, Oracle Java certificates, CompTIA certificates, etc...

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - ifomonay - 10-08-2022

(10-08-2022, 02:31 PM)Sdmj33 Wrote:
(10-08-2022, 01:50 PM)ifomonay Wrote: I was thinking of doing the data science program there. but I thought that no one is going to know what a Master's degree in Extension Studies is. The major for ALL programs there is "Extension Studies", so employers will think the degree is about curriculum design for adult learners.
Would it be misrepresentation if you wrote "Masters Degree" on your CV and mentioned data science as your field of study?

No it won't be a mispresentation. You can list "data science" as a concentration. But if an employer does a background check, Harvard will say your degree is this:
"Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies"
It won't list your concentration. And if I'm not wrong (someone can correct me), Harvard won't show your concentration on the actual diploma either.
Interesting thing. My wife's new coworker put "MA in Business, Harvard University". When the employer did the background check it came back as "Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies, Harvard" . lol. However, they considered her as passing the background check, because it was an actual Masters from the real Harvard. So it really depends on the employer whether they think you lied or not if you try to hide "Extension studies".
Just to be clear, the degree is a bonafide degree from Harvard University, but Harvard also wants to make it clear to employers that you didn't attend the elite Harvard College that has the 2% acceptance rate.

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - davewill - 10-09-2022

(10-08-2022, 05:59 PM)ifomonay Wrote: But if an employer does a background check, Harvard will say your degree is this:
"Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies"
It won't list your concentration. And if I'm not wrong (someone can correct me), Harvard won't show your concentration on the actual diploma either.

That part's not unusual, and what it says on your diploma isn't really material as nobody except you (and the people who look at it hanging on your wall) ever sees it. My diploma from TESU just says "Bachelor of Arts". You have to go to my transcript to see that it was in Computer Science.

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - jsd - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 12:17 AM)davewill Wrote: You have to go to my transcript to see that it was in Computer Science.

But doesn't the HES transcript ALSO say Bachelors/Masters of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies? I think that's the issue. That means nothing; it's a joke. Obviously the school name should remain as is --- that is distinction enough from "real" Harvard. Further delegitimization through degree concentration tomfoolery is punitive and... Silly.

RE: Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change - carrythenothing - 10-09-2022

(10-09-2022, 01:20 AM)jsd Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 12:17 AM)davewill Wrote: You have to go to my transcript to see that it was in Computer Science.

But doesn't the HES transcript ALSO say Bachelors/Masters of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies? I think that's the issue. That means nothing; it's a joke. Obviously the school name should remain as is --- that is distinction enough from "real" Harvard. Further delegitimization through degree concentration tomfoolery is punitive and... Silly.

"Earn a Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies degree"

Example ("Graduate with Your Harvard Degree"): "When you have fulfilled all degree requirements, you will earn your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, field: Data Science."

For certificates

Quote:If you completed a professional graduate certificate, the certificate will state: Harvard University, Harvard Extension School awarded [Your Name] a [three-, four-, or five-] course Professional Graduate Certificate in [field name].

If you completed a liberal arts graduate certificate, the certificate will state: Harvard University, Harvard Extension School awarded [Your Name] a [three- or four-] course Graduate Certificate in [field name].

The certificate, along with the courses and the grades, are noted on your official Harvard Extension School transcript.