Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Fast History Courses? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Fast History Courses? (/Thread-Fast-History-Courses)

Fast History Courses? - RbxFunRocks - 12-03-2022

Hello! 

I am close to finishing two of my history classes (Slavery in the US + Medieval Europe). After that, I'll only need 2 more UL history elective classes. 

My main concern is accidentally signing up for an information-heavy class that I won't be able to speed through. I have the spare time to put whatever time I need towards speedrunning my last 2 classes.

Anyone have experience with any of the following?

• HTY 313 Early Modern Europe
  • HTY 400 Discovering and Interpreting Local History
  • HTY/POS 371 International Relations and Modern Conflicts
  • HTY 318 Modern European History
  • HTY 401 Oral History
  • HTY/POS 370 Topics in Non-Western History: Native American History
  • HTY/POS 377 Modern China
For reference (if it means anything), these are the UMPI classes I have under my belt: US History I, US History II, Arab-Israeli Conflict, Vietnam Wars, Films of the Cold War, Medieval Europe*, Slavery in the US*, US Environmental History

Thank you!

RE: Fast History Courses? - ashkir - 12-03-2022

Dr. Z is the best.

This is in order from the fastest to slowest. Pick the topic you like the most:
Marxism
Modern Political Thought
European Governments and the EU
Arab-Israeli Conflict
Vietnam Wars
Constitutional Law
Cold War Films

RE: Fast History Courses? - RbxFunRocks - 12-03-2022

(12-03-2022, 06:37 PM)ashkir Wrote: Dr. Z is the best.

Marxism
Modern Political Thought
Arab-Israeli Conflict
Vietnam Wars
Constitutional Law
Cold War Films

Unfortunately, unless Political Science courses can be used as UL History electives, this list isn't of much use to me. 1 of them isn't currently offered (Marxism), 3 of them appear on my course list as POS only (Modern Political Thought, EU Govts, and Constitutional Law), and 3 of them I've already taken (Arab-Israeli Conflict, Vietnam Wars, and Cold War Films).

I've attached the course list I was given for reference.

I'm not sure that those 3 courses listed as only POS (MPT, EU Gov, ConLaw) can be used for UL History. I could be (and hope I'm) wrong about this.

(12-03-2022, 07:06 PM)RbxFunRocks Wrote:

Marxism
Modern Political Thought
Arab-Israeli Conflict
Vietnam Wars
Constitutional Law
Cold War Films

Unfortunately, unless Political Science courses can be used as UL History electives, this list isn't of much use to me. 1 of them isn't currently offered (Marxism), 3 of them appear on my course list as POS only (Modern Political Thought, EU Govts, and Constitutional Law), and 3 of them I've already taken (Arab-Israeli Conflict, Vietnam Wars, and Cold War Films).

I'm not sure that those 3 courses listed as only POS (MPT, EU Gov, ConLaw) can be used for UL History. I could be (and hope I'm) wrong about this.
You're absolutely right. I wonder if Vietnam Wars can be used for it.

I know Dr. Z is a lot better and a lot faster than Sebold. It does look like Vietnam Wars has HTY/POS  you may be able to use it! 

HTY 454 Slavery in the U.S. 
HTY 456 Films of the Cold War
HTY/POS 371 International Relations and Modern Conflicts
HTY/POS 439 The Vietnam Wars

If they let you do Vietnam and Modern Conflicts, defiantely do those first!

(12-03-2022, 07:57 PM)ashkir Wrote:

Marxism
Modern Political Thought
Arab-Israeli Conflict
Vietnam Wars
Constitutional Law
Cold War Films

I know Dr. Z is a lot better and a lot faster than Sebold. It does look like Vietnam Wars has HTY/POS  you may be able to use it! 

I feel like there's been a bit of miscommunication here. The list of classes I have left to choose from is in the bullet points above (so the only HTY Dr Z class I can choose is Modern Conflicts). I've already taken Vietnam Wars.

Will have to take at least 1 course from either Sebold or Defelice (Modern China). In all likelihood, based on the little info I know about course lengths, there's a good chance I'll end up signing up for 2 Sebold classes.

Thank you for the effort anyway! Big Grin

If anyone who took Modern Conflicts is reading this, is it true that it's a very long class? I've heard that there are 7 milestones or something to that effect.

(12-03-2022, 09:44 PM)RbxFunRocks Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 07:57 PM)ashkir Wrote:

Marxism
Modern Political Thought
Arab-Israeli Conflict
Vietnam Wars
Constitutional Law
Cold War Films

I feel like there's been a bit of miscommunication here. The list of classes I have left to choose from is in the bullet points above (so the only HTY Dr Z class I can choose is Modern Conflicts). I've already taken Vietnam Wars.

Will have to take at least 1 course from either Sebold or Defelice (Modern China). In all likelihood, based on the little info I know about course lengths, there's a good chance I'll end up signing up for 2 Sebold classes.

Thank you for the effort anyway! Big Grin

If anyone who took Modern Conflicts is reading this, is it true that it's a very long class? I've heard that there are 7 milestones or something to that effect.
yeah totally a blank on my end sorry about that! Been so busy with my assignments and not sleeping lol.

@braven is planning on taking this next. Discord says its a good and fast class.

(12-03-2022, 11:34 PM)ashkir Wrote: yeah totally a blank on my end sorry about that! Been so busy with my assignments and not sleeping lol.

@braven is planning on taking this next. Discord says its a good and fast class.

No worries! Stuff like that happens.

I did not know there was a Discord. I gotta go check that out now lol

RE: Fast History Courses? - Jennr2z - 12-04-2022

Marxism
Modern Political Thought
Arab-Israeli Conflict
Vietnam Wars
Constitutional Law
Cold War Films

I would find out if the UL POS courses count for you and try to take them with Dr Z. Also, Marxism isnt listed as available but it is available, you just need to ask Jessica to add it. The International Relations course is Dr Z longest course.

RE: Fast History Courses? - wildebeest - 12-07-2022

I'm late to this, but unless it's been changed, International Relations & Modern Conflict is not a fast class at all. It was one of my three longest classes.

RE: Fast History Courses? - Kayg - 12-09-2022

(12-07-2022, 08:12 AM)wildebeest Wrote: I'm late to this, but unless it's been changed, International Relations & Modern Conflict is not a fast class at all. It was one of my three longest classes.

I agree - International Relations and Modern Conflicts was a very long class with a great deal of reading, four 700-word milestones, a 2000 word/25 slide PowerPoint. But I learned so much from this class and I loved it. But my goodness it was long.