Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) (/Thread-Finished-MAOL-Great-experience)

Pages: 1 2 3

Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - larabell - 12-19-2022

I started Sophia classes in March and enrolled at UMPI for the Summer I session. I finished my undergrad degree requirements (BLS, w/ management & education concentrations) very early in the summer II session, so immediately went to work on the MAOL using the rest of that session. 

The first two classes were LONG. Nearly every milestone was a 10 page paper, plus a 25 page final. I was able to finish the first two classes by the end of the summer, but I was concerned that when I went back to work in the fall (at a school) I wouldn't make much progress.

Fortunately, it got MUCH better after those first two classes. Many milestones in the subsequent classes were just 3-5 page papers and I was able to complete 4 courses during Fall I, and the last 3 courses, including the Capstone during Fall II. (I transferred the other 3 classes from the undergrad management concentration). I have already been accepted for an Ed.D program starting in January. I want to keep up the momentum while I have it!

Overall, I would recommend the MAOL to anyone who is comfortable with/enjoys academic writing and research. If writing is particularly challenging for you, this may not be the best fit. I am happy to answer any questions about my experiences. I would not have made it to this point without all of the information shared here. I am so grateful for UMPI, and this forum. Best of luck to everyone on their journeys!

RE: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - rachel83az - 12-19-2022

Congratulations!

RE: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - indigoshuffle - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 10:04 AM)larabell Wrote: I started Sophia classes in March and enrolled at UMPI for the Summer I session. I finished my undergrad degree requirements (BLS, w/ management & education concentrations) very early in the summer II session, so immediately went to work on the MAOL using the rest of that session. 

The first two classes were LONG. Nearly every milestone was a 10 page paper, plus a 25 page final. I was able to finish the first two classes by the end of the summer, but I was concerned that when I went back to work in the fall (at a school) I wouldn't make much progress.

Fortunately, it got MUCH better after those first two classes. Many milestones in the subsequent classes were just 3-5 page papers and I was able to complete 4 courses during Fall I, and the last 3 courses, including the Capstone during Fall II. (I transferred the other 3 classes from the undergrad management concentration). I have already been accepted for an Ed.D program starting in January. I want to keep up the momentum while I have it!

Overall, I would recommend the MAOL to anyone who is comfortable with/enjoys academic writing and research. If writing is particularly challenging for you, this may not be the best fit. I am happy to answer any questions about my experiences. I would not have made it to this point without all of the information shared here. I am so grateful for UMPI, and this forum. Best of luck to everyone on their journeys!
What do you do with that degree?

RE: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - larabell - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 10:14 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 10:04 AM)larabell Wrote: I started Sophia classes in March and enrolled at UMPI for the Summer I session. I finished my undergrad degree requirements (BLS, w/ management & education concentrations) very early in the summer II session, so immediately went to work on the MAOL using the rest of that session. 

What do you do with that degree?

I think it is very useful for anyone currently in, or aspiring to a leadership position in any sector. One of the professors is actually a school principal and I found the course content to be applicable to education as well. I learned a lot about my own leadership style including areas I need to develop further. Topics included navigating change, applying ethics, managing conflict, strategy, diversity, etc. I have an interview next week to teach two business classes at a community college, so this degree also meets the 18 graduate hour requirement required to teach undergrad courses. I will update you after that interview!

RE: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - ss20ts - 12-19-2022

Congratulations on both of your UMPI degrees and good luck with your doctorate!

RE: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - jsd - 12-19-2022

Great news, congrats!

Do you mind sharing where you'll be completing your EdD?

RE: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - ashkir - 12-19-2022

Congratulations!!!! The MAOL was a beast! So glad to see more complete it!

RE: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - Mr T - 12-19-2022

Thank you for posting this here; super helpful.

I'm wrapping up the BABA Leadership/Management, also, in spring 1, and likely to begin the MAOL.

RE: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - indigoshuffle - 12-20-2022

Ok I think they might be a better option than wgu for some folks, at the moment.

RE: Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) - larabell - 12-20-2022

(12-19-2022, 12:06 PM)jsd Wrote: Great news, congrats!

Do you mind sharing where you'll be completing your EdD?

I'm staying with Maine and going to University of New England. It's not the cheapest, but the approach to the dissertation being broken up throughout the program and the concentration on transformational leadership greatly appealed to me. One of my professors in the MAOL also earned an Ed.D from UNE and highly recommended it.

(12-19-2022, 08:56 PM)Mr T Wrote:

Thank you for posting this here; super helpful.

I'm wrapping up the BABA Leadership/Management, also, in spring 1, and likely to begin the MAOL.
Awesome! You will see a ton of overlap in content. With just the management minor (BLS) I already felt quite familiar with much of the MAOL content, although the MAOL did explore concepts in greater depth. I hope you have a great experience. Keep us updated!