Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU Courses - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU Courses (/Thread-TESU-Courses)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

TESU Courses - gams007 - 01-22-2023

Sorry for my question but, can some explain me what is Self-Directed courses and Guided courses.

RE: TESU Courses - davewill - 01-22-2023

TESU has three basic course types:  Regular online courses where you study along with a group of students, turn in assignments on schedule, and participate in class discussions online. Guided study courses basically skip the interactions with the other students. ePack courses skip the homework assignments and replace them with quizzes that do not contribute to your grade and a final exam for the entire grade. You can do an ePack on your own schedule, but you still have to finish within the 12 week term.

TECEPs aren't courses at all, but simply an exam. It is completely self-study, TESU doesn't provide any study materials. You take the exam any time within the 12 week term.

Edit: I had to look up "Self Directed courses". They seem to be old-fashioned paper through the mail courses for inmates who can't access the internet.

RE: TESU Courses - rachel83az - 01-22-2023

If you do guided study, you don't have to do forum posts, but then you're essentially giving up free points that could help your grade. I would recommend choosing the regular classes whenever possible.

RE: TESU Courses - davewill - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 07:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you do guided study, you don't have to do forum posts, but then you're essentially giving up free points that could help your grade. I would recommend choosing the regular classes whenever possible.

That's my take as well, but some people seem to really hate them. In my liberal arts capstone, the discussion posts made up over 20% of the points in the course.

RE: TESU Courses - gams007 - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 07:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you do guided study, you don't have to do forum posts, but then you're essentially giving up free points that could help your grade. I would recommend choosing the regular classes whenever possible.

Im going to start the Capstone this February and I choose normal courses to get point by posting in the forum at least it helps.

RE: TESU Courses - rachel83az - 01-23-2023

(01-22-2023, 08:34 PM)davewill Wrote: That's my take as well, but some people seem to really hate them. In my liberal arts capstone, the discussion posts made up over 20% of the points in the course.

I also really hate forum posts. But, hey, free points!

RE: TESU Courses - dfrecore - 01-23-2023

I did my capstone as a Guided Study course, and instead of posts, you had to write Discussion Assignments (5 of them) that were mostly 1 page long, although one of mine was 4 pages (closer to 3 pages). So 208-287 words for 4 of them, and 895 words for the 4th (not sure if I just had a lot to say about that one or what). Not sure how many words you need to write for a discussion post (and from what I remember from other courses I've taken, you need to post 1-2 times plus comment on someone else's post as well), but I'm guessing it's a similar number of words when all is said and done.

I compared the syllabus grading info at the time, and it turns out that I would have gotten the exact same grade whether I did the online or GS version - they were weighted a bit differently, but I think it was like a 0.02% difference.

I will say that my husband recently did an online art course where you had to post what you drew, and then give feedback on others' pics. He was super annoyed as he was the first one to post every single week, and everyone else took forever to post, so he wasn't able to comment until the very last minute. He wished the instructor would have made everyone post earlier in the week, and then give people more time to comment. Sunday night at 10pm is not exactly when most people want to log on to finally be able to see others posts and do the work, but that's really the only time he could do it because they just did not turn their work in earlier. So there can be that sort of thing to contend with if you're reliant upon others doing something before you can do your posts.

RE: TESU Courses - gams007 - 01-23-2023

(01-23-2023, 05:36 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 08:34 PM)davewill Wrote: That's my take as well, but some people seem to really hate them. In my liberal arts capstone, the discussion posts made up over 20% of the points in the course.

I also really hate forum posts. But, hey, free points!

Rachel did you did this test all ready?

ETS Major Field Test or Written Communication Assessment—10%    
ETS Proficiency Profile—5%
What can I expect from this, can you give me a recommendation please..

RE: TESU Courses - davewill - 01-24-2023

(01-23-2023, 09:49 PM)gams007 Wrote: Rachel did you did this test all ready?

These are assessments for use by TESU in evaluating their programs. The score you get does not affect your grade. You get the points just for taking the exam. When I did it, there was just the proficiency profile. I was annoyed at the waste of my time, so I just moved through it as fast as I could, not caring whether I scored well.

RE: TESU Courses - gams007 - 01-24-2023

(01-24-2023, 12:19 PM)davewill Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 09:49 PM)gams007 Wrote: Rachel did you did this test all ready?

These are assessments for use by TESU in evaluating their programs. The score you get does not affect your grade. You get the points just for taking the exam. When I did it, there was just the proficiency profile. I was annoyed at the waste of my time, so I just moved through it as fast as I could, not caring whether I scored well.

Mr. davewill you mean that this 15% is not going to be applied are contribute to my whole score for the capstone? 

I read this "As the Major Field Test is a required element within LIB-495, you must submit your score in order to receive credit for the course."

source: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10S4DYFWxzIfzGtmuejuGeyAoLOqZPmZbyAxO66h0M_k/edit#