Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
GI Bill Hacking? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Military Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Military-Discussion)
+--- Thread: GI Bill Hacking? (/Thread-GI-Bill-Hacking)

GI Bill Hacking? - spohara - 03-13-2023

In a forum dedicated to degree hacking, I assume people on here are finding clever ways to maximize GI Bill benefits.  What are some ways you're squeezing the most out of the GI Bill?

For grad school, what I'm looking at are some ways to wind my benefits down to as close to 0 as possible without actually getting to 0, through non-standard terms and the like.  I'd like to finish out a masters this way.  Then I want to do a 6 month term somewhere, looking at WGU data analytics, where I can walk away with a graduate cert or three depending how hard it is (possibly even another MS, but I doubt it).

Anyone had success with this or other ways to maximize?

RE: GI Bill Hacking? - MNomadic - 03-13-2023

I have about 24 months of gi bill left and am about to get my MSCSIA at WGU paid for by my employer later this year so I'm always looking for creative ways to use the rest of mine as well. My company tuition reimbursement covers a little over $5k/year so I could potentially try for a WGU MBAITM the next year, or work towards a SANS grads cert 1 class at a time.

RE: GI Bill Hacking? - spohara - 03-14-2023

(03-13-2023, 09:10 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I have about 24 months of gi bill left and am about to get my MSCSIA at WGU paid for by my employer later this year so I'm always looking for creative ways to use the rest of mine as well. My company tuition reimbursement covers a little over $5k/year so I could potentially try for a WGU MBAITM the next year, or work towards a SANS grads cert 1 class at a time.

Sometimes OJT works for it.  I know a few people who have masters and used the rest of it for OJT just to collect the MHA at their locality.  If you live somewhere expensive it can be quite valuable.  I figured for me it made more sense to pay for tuition.

RE: GI Bill Hacking? - TylerCambridge - 05-08-2023

I have a lot of GI Bill experience and may be able to point you in the right direction but I need some info if you don't mind.

1. Are you referring to the post 9-11 GI Bill? If not, what chapter?

2. Where are you located?

3. Do you have a disability rating? If so, what percentage?

RE: GI Bill Hacking? - spohara - 05-12-2023

(05-08-2023, 01:48 AM)TylerCambridge Wrote: I have a lot of GI Bill experience and may be able to point you in the right direction but I need some info if you don't mind.

1. Are you referring to the post 9-11 GI Bill? If not, what chapter?

2. Where are you located?

3. Do you have a disability rating? If so, what percentage?

1. For me, yes, but I am curious about other the MGIB for others that might still be using it (but my guess is less and less vets out there even qualify for that, but I elected for the post 9/11 already)

2. Huntsville, AL

3. 10%

RE: GI Bill Hacking? - joejoe2482 - 06-29-2023

I'm a new user who joined today and I'm curious to hear about this GI Bill Hacking.

Also, can someone please explain how to save my signature so I do not have to input for every posting??

————————————————————
In Progress
MSMIS
Completed
MBA
MSIT
BA
PMI-ACP, PMP, COBIT5, CSM, CSPO, CSSYB, ITIL4, TOGAF9, SAFe5 SA, SAFe5 SP
Former - Commissioned Officer, USAR, SC

RE: GI Bill Hacking? - rachel83az - 06-29-2023

(06-29-2023, 10:45 AM)joejoe2482 Wrote: Also, can someone please explain how to save my signature so I do not have to input for every posting??

Signatures can be saved in the User Control Panel (User CP). However, this function is not available until you've met the post/account age requirements. I would recommend not inserting a manual signature in the meantime. It will simply duplicate the automatic one when you're able to create one.

RE: GI Bill Hacking? - dfrecore - 06-30-2023

(06-29-2023, 11:25 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-29-2023, 10:45 AM)joejoe2482 Wrote: Also, can someone please explain how to save my signature so I do not have to input for every posting??

Signatures can be saved in the User Control Panel (User CP). However, this function is not available until you've met the post/account age requirements. I would recommend not inserting a manual signature in the meantime. It will simply duplicate the automatic one when you're able to create one.

When your automated signature goes into effect, it goes back and creates that signature for all posts - future and previous.

RE: GI Bill Hacking? - joejoe2482 - 07-02-2023

(06-29-2023, 11:25 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Rachel,

Thanks for the tip. Sounds good.