Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? (/Thread-My-degree-plan-for-TESU-BA-in-CS-thoughts-recs)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? - bjcheung77 - 03-21-2023

bruh Wrote:Thank you @bjcheung77! When I discovered degree hacking not even two months ago and then DegreeForum a few weeks later, I saw that I was entering a whole new world. I read the tip that we should do the heavy lifting when it comes to degree planning, so I wanted to make sure to start off on the right foot.  Cool

As soon as the activity on this thread comes to an end (probably tonight or tomorrow), those credits shall be as good as mine, hehe. I think I'm gonna eat through the easiest Sophia courses first to build up some momentum (and also for encouragement :p). I'll make sure to update that spreadsheet I attached to my first post too. It's personally so exciting to see the changes and realizations I've made since starting this thread.

Getting an extra degree was nowhere near my radar either. So awesome that @natshar mentioned it. I'm gonna go for the BACJ I think. How should I go about that? I've been browsing through some of the existing threads that discuss getting a second bachelor's. Is there a dedicated thread/wiki somewhere on here that details the process too? I'm wondering to what extent would TESU allow my courses that I'd use to accomplish my BACS to fulfill reqs for my BACJ. For example, if I ever go for even more TESU degrees in general (not just BACJ), would I not have to worry about general eds + electives anymore? Would the AOS be my only concern (provided I apply 24 new credits)?

I think I'll also 'wait' until I finish military training to finish my degree. It's all good if I don't finish before turning 20, hehe. In case those plans fall through though, I'll do the 16 credits option. @rachel83az and @dfrecore helped me realize that that could actually be more preferable than doing a lotta TECEPs + paying the hefty waiver fee.

Just to let you know, if you're going for the BA CJ and the CS at the same time, it's considered 1 degree with 2 majors.  You can add another degree to that, for example, a BSBA CIS (and something such as Entrepreneurship or another choice for a dual AOS if you wanted to, some also like to have a second AOS).  It's recommended to complete the degrees all at once so you don't have to worry about paying a second residency waiver and graduation fee.  You may want to review the following threads and also check out the WIKI for degree plans, customize the plans to your liking.

Big 3 PLA Compared: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-PLA-at-the-Big-3-Compared
Courses vs Residency Waiver #1: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-TESU-Residency-Waiver-vs-Taking-Courses
16 Credits vs Residency Waiver #2: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Options-for-16-Credits-to-Rid-of-Residency-Waiver-Fee
ACTFL/Foreign Credits: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-ACTFL-or-Foreign-Credit-Transfer-to-Big-3
Transfer Policy: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-TESU-Transfer-Policy-Explained

RE: My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? - bruh - 06-08-2023

Hello!

It's been a busy 3 months. I expect the next 5 to be even busier. Here's the link to my current degree plan. I really hope I can make it for the December graduation before 2023 wraps up, but my gut tells me that I'm gonna have to make some cuts somewhere. Refer to the different tabs to see my plans for my other degree(s) as well as past iterations of my degree plan.

I'd say things have changed significantly since March. In addition to a BACS, I'm now pursuing an ASNSM in Math and (it's sort of on thin ice at the moment, but perhaps) an AAS in CJ. I feel solid about the majority of my classes. I'll elaborate on some of the more interesting/tricky developments though in a loosely-organized order. Thoughts or tips on any of them would be much appreciated.

Some general things

I've amassed 79cr in total, and I have 31cr left for CS, 6cr left for Math, and 21cr left for CJ.

My family and I are going on vacation for 3 weeks during July, so I won't be focusing as much on earning credits during then. At most, I was thinking of just watching a few SDC videos and doing some quizzes whenever I have time to relax. Just things that don't take up too much mental RAM.

Study.com is going pretty okay. I've finished 2 classes and am on my 3rd one now. Intro to Operating Systems was a good way to acclimate into what I'm in for when it comes to SDC's CS courses I think. I'm doing Discrete Math now. I've seen someone here rank Discrete Math as second only to Computer Architecture in difficulty. With flashcards, I feel pretty confident that I can do the rest of them now.

I was planning on doing Software Engineering at TESU, but the course isn't available during the August 2023 term which is when I plan on doing my 16cr term. Instead, I'll be going for the course through Saylor. I've heard it's a little tough. Perhaps I'll save Saylor SWE for when I've finished all my SDC CS courses + SDC's own SWE course too.

AAS in CJ dilemma

Troubles with courses

Intro to Corrections has me in a real tough bind. There are no easily accessible sources of ACE/NCCRS credit for this class. TESU isn't offering this class during the August 2023 term either. I'd finish the recommended Waubonsee class too late since the only offering will finish in December. According to California Virtual Campus, my local/in-state community colleges, too, are only offering classes that finish in December. There are a handful of classes I could do over the summer at other colleges, but a lot I've seen are too pricey for me (e.g., Seminole State College). For those that aren't as expensive (e.g., College of Dupage), I fear I may not make it since the class has already started.

Sterling College Online looks like the best option for Corrections since, based on the past few years, it's ~7 weeks + concurrent with/in the middle of TESU's August 2023 term. However, considering Sterling's fees for at least the application, the tuition, and a transcript, it'll cost me about ~$501 in total. I don't know if that's all of the fees that are applicable. This class is the main thing making me question whether or not an AAS in CJ is worth it for me.

I was thinking I could perhaps reason with an academic adviser that one of my past AOJ classes could fulfill the requirement for a corrections class. However, those classes really boil down to an introductory class, a constitutional law class, and an evidence class.

Juvenile Delinquency is also troubling. TESU isn't offering it during the August 2023 term either. I was thinking of just doing SDC's American Juvenile Justice System class instead. I know this class fulfills the requirement for BACJ, but for an AAS in CJ, would this fulfill the requirement too?

Some backstory (perhaps skippable)

Activate Doofenshmirtz mode.

My initial thought process for considering these associate's degrees at all was because I have the time and personal discipline to handle the extra classes, and I might as well too since I thought it was just an extra few hundred dollars. The math degree will actually cost me no money at all to go for. It's just a CLEP and adding in a TESU math class (as opposed to one that's recommended by the TESU GE guide) in place of the unavailable SWE class. For this CJ degree though, it'll cost me a little under $1 thousand + a month of time that I perhaps don't have.

I'm open to dropping the AAS in CJ. To be honest, after my initial reasoning broke down after realizing how much it's gonna cost to go after, I still endeavored to make a plan for it as a sort of subconscious attempt to salvage the 10 months I spent planning for it prior to finding out about degree hacking. Sunk cost fallacy, yes, I'm aware ahah. I spent a lot of my time from April 2022 all the way to February 2023 researching a ton about it and even spent a semester of my time doing 3 classroom-based courses when I could've been degree hacking. It wasn't all in vain though. Among other things, I really did learn a lot about the process and things in general that inform a lot of the decisions around this current degree plan. So that was good.

Perhaps dropping CJ could also open up opportunities for future me if I ever want or need to get another bachelor's + associate's combo. As of now, I can't really guess what I'd get though after taking a glance at TESU's other offerings. I could get a business degree that looks good, but practically all hackable schools offer that too. Since TESU especially has more variety in their offerings than others, perhaps I'll save it for if I ever need a relatively more niche degree among hackable schools like math or biology or something. It'll just be another graduation fee and ~24 new credits somehow. I think I'd be able to manage that.

Other questions and whatnot

I was wondering about the possibility of student loans too. (I'm fully ready to use my ~$6,000 budget + Pell Grant funds too.) Can I get student loans for the TESU flat-rate tuition fee? Could Sterling's also offer me some student loans? Other than Pell Grant funds, student loans and perhaps a little bit of EFC (expected family contribution), are there any other sources of financial aid that I haven't considered?

Right now, I have about 13 RA credits, and I'm gonna be doing a 16cr term. That leaves 1cr left for the RA requirement. I was thinking of doing the Medical Terminology TECEP, but then I started considering more seriously doing the AAS in CJ. This is because I could fulfill the RA requirement with the Corrections class at Sterling instead. However, as I've mentioned, I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I should do this.

Also, it's not that personally related, but before I decided on just doing CLEP College Mathematics instead of Sophia/SDC for my missing ASNSM requirements, I found out Sophia Precalculus can indeed transfer into TESU as MAT-1290: Precalculus! Time to do away with all of those anxiety-inducing "unconfirmed" and "unverified" warnings on the Wiki regarding this class; I've finally made a contribution to Degree Forum lol. Jokes aside, I should also say that I didn't actually do the class. I just emailed Academic Advising about whether or not it'd transfer in as a math elective. I didn't ask if it transferred in as MAT-1290 since I don't need precalc specifically. (I think it's biology majors who do need precalc.) The person who got back to me said that it would indeed transfer in as a math elective and even planned it on my Academic Evaluation which I didn't ask for. Pretty neat to know that it'd transfer in as MAT-1290 now though.

How often should I be turning in my transcripts? By when should I be done w/ all my ACE/NCCRS classes so that TESU will process them all in time for me to make it for December 2023 graduation?

In total, I'll be graduating with 32 RA credits (or 30 if I drop the AAS in CJ) and 16 residency credits. However, I was trying to clarify whether or not an extra degree or two would increase the RA/residency requirements in any way. From my understanding after my most recent thread, it sounds like it will not, and I will indeed be able to carry out all my plans successfully if I graduate all at once.

Wrapping up

After I graduate, I hope to continue to a master's program as well. I'm still thinking about it, but perhaps I'll study theology and/or pastoral studies with a focus in apologetics. I was thinking perhaps an extra degree (i.e. my AAS in CJ) would help enhance my chances in getting accepted into such a program even though it looks like I'm mainly specialized in hard sciences. Theology and suchlike are more in the category of humanities though, not social sciences like CJ. I have a very minimal understanding of graduate schools and graduate studies too though. Perhaps I'm thinking about graduate school all wrong.

That's about everything. If I think of anything else, I'll make another post in this thread. Thank you to everyone who's helped me so far. I'll hope to bring glad tidings of my graduation and express even more thanks when 2023 comes to a close.

RE: My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? - dfrecore - 06-08-2023

You should ALWAYS focus 100% on the main goal, and then add on to that AFTER you complete it if you really, really feel the need to get it. In this case, a BACS far, far outweighs any use you'd find for the CJ AAS degree, so it's making you spend time/money on it that you should not be doing. Skip that and don't waste your time/money.

For some reason, people on here are constantly telling people to add degrees, when it is not in their best interest to do so. Always spend your time/money on getting the degree you want/need, and then if you have extra time/money (haha), add on. Do NOT let something unimportant distract you from your ultimate goal. That's just silly.

(06-08-2023, 01:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You should ALWAYS focus 100% on the main goal, and then add on to that AFTER you complete it if you really, really feel the need to get it.  In this case, a BACS far, far outweighs any use you'd find for the CJ AAS degree, so it's making you spend time/money on it that you should not be doing.  Skip that and don't waste your time/money.

For some reason, people on here are constantly telling people to add degrees, when it is not in their best interest to do so.  Always spend your time/money on getting the degree you want/need, and then if you have extra time/money (haha), add on.  Do NOT let something unimportant distract you from your ultimate goal.  That's just silly.

Well I am a proud alum of Silly Goose University... Wink

Thanks for the wake-up call. I'm emailing TESU right now to remove the CJ stuff from my plans.

That brings up another change I should've mentioned: While you may soon need an associate's in CJ to be a policeman in CA, I don't really plan on going in the CJ career field in general anymore. Just chasing after some sunk costs.

RE: My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? - allvia - 06-08-2023

If you are short only 1 RA you could take the AUS $25 1 credit (RA) Online Business Technology Fundamentals - https://ea.asu.edu/courses/business-technology-fundamentals-cis-194/ - this is the course that is recommended for those working towards the Pierpoing BOG AAS, but it is RA so it would work for TESU.

The Medical Terminology is good for 1 credit (but unless you have a background in it, it pretty much Latin).  However, it does get you to an enrolled status (if you are not already - but you may be as it sounds like you are taking courses at TESU) and taking it pass or fail does nothing to your GPA. So if you manage to pass it great there is that 1 RA you needed, fail you're out the cost of the exam.

I would drop any associate that will cost you more time/money from your goal degree, the BSCS. You mentioned the CJ associate would cost you to miss your Dec gradation goal, but another $1000.  I say skip it and use that $1000 towards grad school.

If you're active with TESU send in your new course/credit transcripts in monthly (at least) - things have been known to change with TESU and if its on your transcript its there 'forever'. Meaning if they say Provider X's course #123 is UL today, but next month they decide now it will be LL - if it is already posted to your TESU evaluation as UL they will not change it to LL.  For example this happened to many a few years ago with SLs Organizational Behavior course, and a few others - but that was a major UL course for the BSBA people - some chaos here ensued over it for a bit. The point being, the sooner you get it evaluated and on your transcript the better off you'll be in the long run.

(06-08-2023, 03:31 PM)allvia Wrote: If you are short only 1 RA you could take the AUS $25 1 credit (RA) Online Business Technology Fundamentals - https://ea.asu.edu/courses/business-technology-fundamentals-cis-194/ - this is the course that is recommended for those working towards the Pierpoing BOG AAS, but it is RA so it would work for TESU.

The Medical Terminology is good for 1 credit (but unless you have a background in it, it pretty much Latin).  However, it does get you to an enrolled status (if you are not already - but you may be as it sounds like you are taking courses at TESU) and taking it pass or fail does nothing to your GPA. So if you manage to pass it great there is that 1 RA you needed, fail you're out the cost of the exam.

Oh! I'll check it out, but wait... Latin? Welp, I guess it could be a good way to warm up for a class I might have to do in a theology program Confused 

I didn't know about that ASU course. I thought the 1cr TECEPs were the best for these little bits of RA. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll at least do a little bit of studying + flashcards and make an attempt on the TECEP before I try the ASU route.

(06-08-2023, 03:31 PM)allvia Wrote: I would drop any associate that will cost you more time/money from your goal degree, the BSCS. You mentioned the CJ associate would cost you to miss your Dec gradation goal, but another $1000.  I say skip it and use that $1000 towards grad school.

Yo... That bit about grad school is actually very true. Thanks for this. Idea

(06-08-2023, 03:31 PM)allvia Wrote: If you're active with TESU send in your new course/credit transcripts in monthly (at least) - things have been known to change with TESU and if its on your transcript its there 'forever'. Meaning if they say Provider X's course #123 is UL today, but next month they decide now it will be LL - if it is already posted to your TESU evaluation as UL they will not change it to LL.  For example this happened to many a few years ago with SLs Organizational Behavior course, and a few others - but that was a major UL course for the BSBA people - some chaos here ensued over it for a bit. The point being, the sooner you get it evaluated and on your transcript the better off you'll be in the long run.

Ohh dang, alright. Yeah, I'm already active w/ TESU too. I'll make sure to send things in at least monthly then.

RE: My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? - allvia - 06-08-2023

(06-08-2023, 04:07 PM)bruh Wrote:
(06-08-2023, 03:31 PM)allvia Wrote: If you are short only 1 RA you could take the AUS $25 1 credit (RA) Online Business Technology Fundamentals - https://ea.asu.edu/courses/business-technology-fundamentals-cis-194/ - this is the course that is recommended for those working towards the Pierpoing BOG AAS, but it is RA so it would work for TESU.

Oh! I'll check it out, but wait... Latin? Welp, I guess it could be a good way to warm up for a class I might have to do in a theology program

I didn't know about that ASU course. I thought the 1cr TECEPs were the best for these little bits of RA. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll at least do a little bit of studying + flashcards and make an attempt on the TECEP before I try the ASU route.

Well, to be honest (medical terminology) it's based on mix of both Latin and Greek  :) - Good luck! I'm sure you can find some flashcards online

(06-08-2023, 05:18 PM)allvia Wrote: Well, to be honest (medical terminology) it's based on mix of both Latin and Greek  Smile - Good luck! I'm sure you can find some flashcards online

Ah alright, and thank you! Smile

RE: My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? - bjcheung77 - 06-11-2023

@bruh, AS in Math and BACS is a good combo. You're practically done with the AS Math when you complete the requirements for the BACS. Again, as I mentioned in post #9, work on your credits for the degree accordingly and when the time comes to completing the requirements, decide on your 16 credit option. If you're using Pell and have some cash flow, you need to decide how to spend that.

RE: My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? - bruh - 08-04-2023

I don't know where I heard this, but I think PLA-1000 is gone now too. I also didn't end up doing the Medical Terminology TECEP. Thus, I'm now short 2 RA. However, at least the residency requirement dropped from 16cr to 15cr last June, so I don't necessarily have to do that credit as a TESU class. Might anyone have any good ideas for how to go about these 2 RA?

I was thinking of doing the ASU business tech class and the Medical Terminology OL class. However, for the OL class, I'm the only one signed up so far for the September 2023 term (which brings up another update: I couldn't make it in time to graduate in December Sad so I'm fine now with doing my classes during September 2023 or later). I was also considering doing a 1cr class with TEL Learning, but I'm not sure.