Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpont/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: Pierpont and other Associates Degrees (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Pierpont-and-other-Associates-Degrees)
+--- Thread: Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpont/TESU, CLEP polices, etc (/Thread-Associates-degree-suggestions-confused-about-Pierpont-TESU-CLEP-polices-etc)

Pages: 1 2

Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpont/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - um2023 - 03-26-2023

New to the forum. 

Degree desired: Associates degree (at this time), eventually BA
Current Regionally Accredited Credits: 32 (all in foreign language courses)

I am looking into obtaining an associates degree.  I currently have 32 credits in foreign languages courses (100 and 200 level) at a community college where I have been going part time.  I am now looking to take CLEP exams for whatever I am able to.  

Regarding CLEP - My college grants credit for various CLEP exams.  I was looking at the Pierpont BOG degree, but will these CLEP credits transfer over in the same way, or will I potentially get fewer credits based on the school's own CLEP policy?  The same question applies for TESU. 

Regarding the degrees themselves, are these degrees generally well received by employers, or are they viewed like some of the for profit online programs (Phoenix, Argosy, etc)?

At this point, I am looking to get any associates degree as this will help with employment prospects.  Any suggestions are welcome!

RE: Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpoint/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - origamishuttle - 03-27-2023

(03-26-2023, 11:49 PM)um2023 Wrote: I was looking at the Pierpont BOG degree, but will these CLEP credits transfer over in the same way, or will I potentially get fewer credits based on the school's own CLEP policy?

Pierpont and TCB both have a page with this info:
CLEP (College Level Examination Program) - Pierpont Community and Technical College - Acalog ACMS™
Pierpont Community & Technical College - CLEP College Credit Policy (collegeboard.org)

Also, do you know about taking CLEP for free through Modern States?
Freshman Year Free - Modern States

(03-26-2023, 11:49 PM)um2023 Wrote: Regarding the degrees themselves, are these degrees generally well received by employers, or are they viewed like some of the for profit online programs (Phoenix, Argosy, etc)?
Pierpont AAS BOG is free, and it's an RA degree. There's really no downside, so whether or not there's a benefit with any given employer is largely irrelevant. For most jobs, the requirement is either HS diploma or bachelor's degree, but there are definitely instances where an associate's degree can help. In that case, it is more often than not just checking a box, so any degree is better than no degree. However, if you're going to spend time and money anywhere else, maybe go for a bachelor's degree at UMPI instead, as most associate's degrees take longer and are more expensive.

Also, welcome!  Big Grin

RE: Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpoint/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - rachel83az - 03-27-2023

I agree that an Associate degree usually will not help with a job search. However, because the Pierpont degree is FREE (except for the cost of credits earned elsewhere), there is little downside to getting it "just in case". Pierpont is not a for-profit school. It's a little technical college that almost nobody will have ever heard about. The only reason it's known about here is due to their inexpensive BOG AAS degrees. Otherwise, nobody will really care one way or another.

If you really want to boost your resume, you should definitely get a Bachelor's degree. A degree from either UMPI or TESU can be relatively quick and easy in comparison to most other options. The biggest question mark would be what kind of budget you have - both time and money budget.

RE: Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpoint/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - um2023 - 03-27-2023

(03-27-2023, 12:26 AM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(03-26-2023, 11:49 PM)um2023 Wrote: I was looking at the Pierpont BOG degree, but will these CLEP credits transfer over in the same way, or will I potentially get fewer credits based on the school's own CLEP policy?

Pierpont and TCB both have a page with this info:
CLEP (College Level Examination Program) - Pierpont Community and Technical College - Acalog ACMS™
Pierpont Community & Technical College - CLEP College Credit Policy (collegeboard.org)

Also, do you know about taking CLEP for free through Modern States?
Freshman Year Free - Modern States

(03-26-2023, 11:49 PM)um2023 Wrote: Regarding the degrees themselves, are these degrees generally well received by employers, or are they viewed like some of the for profit online programs (Phoenix, Argosy, etc)?
Pierpont AAS BOG is free, and it's an RA degree. There's really no downside, so whether or not there's a benefit with any given employer is largely irrelevant. For most jobs, the requirement is either HS diploma or bachelor's degree, but there are definitely instances where an associate's degree can help. In that case, it is more often than not just checking a box, so any degree is better than no degree. However, if you're going to spend time and money anywhere else, maybe go for a bachelor's degree at UMPI instead, as most associate's degrees take longer and are more expensive.

Also, welcome!  Big Grin
Yup I am looking into Modern States.  My question was more regarding the CLEP policies of different schools.  As I understand it, each school has their own CLEP policy so that is what will matter when one looks to get a degree at the school.

For example, my school grants credit for CLEP Biology, but Pierpont does not, so I need to make sure I have CLEPs that Pierpont takes, if I want to get that degree

RE: Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpoint/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - allvia - 03-27-2023

Curious what language(s)? - Are you thinking of going for the TESU BA in Foreign Language? -  https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/foreign-language

Both Pierpont (WV) and TESU (NJ) are RA state schools (non-profit). That makes them as neutral as anyone could hope; defiantly Not in the same class as any of the for-profits you speak of.

RE: Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpoint/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - rachel83az - 03-27-2023

Foreign Language Bachelor's degrees can be difficult due to the lack of available UL classes. Spanish is already difficult enough, less common languages are even more difficult. If you don't need a Spanish/French/Greek/Swahili degree, Liberal Studies may be the best option. That would allow a student to bring in a ton of foreign language credit without (for instance) trying to find a literature or history course that is taught in said foreign language.

RE: Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpoint/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - um2023 - 03-27-2023

(03-27-2023, 04:40 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I agree that an Associate degree usually will not help with a job search. However, because the Pierpont degree is FREE (except for the cost of credits earned elsewhere), there is little downside to getting it "just in case". Pierpont is not a for-profit school. It's a little technical college that almost nobody will have ever heard about. The only reason it's known about here is due to their inexpensive BOG AAS degrees. Otherwise, nobody will really care one way or another.

If you really want to boost your resume, you should definitely get a Bachelor's degree. A degree from either UMPI or TESU can be relatively quick and easy in comparison to most other options. The biggest question mark would be what kind of budget you have - both time and money budget.
I agree, but I have no degree so far so having any degree would he helpful.  I also have work experience as a paraprofessional, not sure if that can help (portfolio or licensure evaluation?)

As for budget - 
no particular rush, time wise.  Would need something flexible due to work/kids.

Portfolio/PLA credits tend to be more expensive and time-consuming than most classes from places like Study.com or Sophia. Unless you really need a specific degree and you cannot find an affordable class anywhere that will fit the degree requirements, PLA is not generally recommended.

Some certificates/licences may be worth some credits at some schools. If you already have them, you might as well get credit if you can. TESU's list is here: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/oplr/plr Other schools will have different acceptance.

RE: Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpoint/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - icedmoo52 - 03-27-2023

If you local CC takes CLEP and can combine that with your prior credits to give you an associates. I'd do that over an associates at Peirpont. Local CCs give you the local recognition and it would be an AA would would be arguably better than an AAS. Plus you'd have the transcript.

Take it from someone only took 15 credits at CC and teandfer the rest in it is possible to do. You might have to take a single course at CC in order to get the associates but still not bad. If you only want an associate your best bet might be the local CC. Just check their credit bye exam policy. For ex one CC near me only allows 30cr exam counted toward a degree (clep, dsst, etc) but the other CC has no limit as long as 15cr is taken with them the rest can be CBE (and I know cause I did just that).

RE: Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpoint/TESU, CLEP polices, etc - origamishuttle - 03-27-2023

(03-27-2023, 07:43 AM)um2023 Wrote: My question was more regarding the CLEP policies of different schools.  As I understand it, each school has their own CLEP policy so that is what will matter when one looks to get a degree at the school.

Yes, every school is different. If you look at the TCB link, it lists the minimum scores for credit. They should list the scores for any school you're interested in, so if you want that credit at more than one school, then you'll want to cross-reference the CLEP info for each school. However, there may be value in taking a CLEP, even if it's just for one school/degree.