Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? (/Thread-What-is-considered-FT-at-UMPI-YourPace-for-the-Pell-Grant)

What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? - RachelB - 03-25-2024

What the title says... 

Am I right in thinking that "full time enrollment" is a minimum of 12 credit hours per "semester" (4 months), so 2 classes (3-credits each) in one UMPI 8-week term is considered full-time?

I'm thinking it might be better for me to do classes directly through UMPI and not Study.com because I qualify for the full Pell grant...

RE: What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? - turbotortuga - 03-25-2024

(03-25-2024, 06:13 PM)RachelB Wrote: What the title says... 

Am I right in thinking that "full time enrollment" is a minimum of 12 credit hours per "semester" (4 months), so 2 classes (3-credits each) in one UMPI 8-week term is considered full-time?

I'm thinking it might be better for me to do classes directly through UMPI and not Study.com because I qualify for the full Pell grant...

Yes, Full Time for UMPI is 12 semester hours in a full 16 week semester term. You can register for 6 hours in each 8 week session to receive the full time rate for Pell Grant, but you have to actually attend BOTH sessions to receive the full award. If you take 12 sem hours in only one session and skip the second session, then you are still considered "Full Time" but you will only receive half of the semester award.

RE: What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? - ss20ts - 03-25-2024

(03-25-2024, 07:43 PM)turbotortuga Wrote: Yes, Full Time for UMPI is 12 semester hours in a full 16 week semester term. You can register for 6 hours in each 8 week session to receive the full time rate for Pell Grant, but you have to actually attend BOTH sessions to receive the full award. If you take 12 sem hours in only one session and skip the second session, then you are still considered "Full Time" but you will only receive half of the semester award.

I received the full Pell Grant the term I completed 12+ credits and didn't take the second term. I was full time for that semester because I completed 12+ credits in Spring 1.

RE: What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? - bjcheung77 - 03-26-2024

Basically, you want to pace yourself forward. What I mean by that is, not rush and to get a better GPA, plus the max use of your Pell Grant. Since you get the full amount, I suggest to have a degree plan that maxes the transfer of credit, allowing you 10 classes, mix/match those 10 classes and see if you can finish at minimum 5 classes each session. You can plan forward by taking 3-4 classes that can go towards the MAOL later if you decide to go that route, each session would be 15 credits, maybe switch it a bit and do 18 credits for the first session and the 3-4 MAOL transferable classes in the second session.