Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Civil War - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Civil War (/Thread-Civil-War--468)

Pages: 1 2

Civil War - Bama - 06-05-2006

I took the Civil War and Reconstruction test today. 112 questions. I feel pretty confident that I passed; if so, I am a graduated man. I'm having the test delivered UPS overnight and requested a hand-scoring. I should know by tomorrow afternoon if I passed. I feel really confident I passed and can't imagine how devistated I'll feel if I failed.

I used InstantCert, Ken Burns videos, Sparknotes, Wikipedia and referenced 3 history books that I still have from prior classes.

Civil War - libartsmgr - 06-05-2006

Bama Wrote:I took the Civil War and Reconstruction test today. 112 questions. I feel pretty confident that I passed; if so, I am a graduated man. I'm having the test delivered UPS overnight and requested a hand-scoring. I should know by tomorrow afternoon if I passed. I feel really confident I passed and can't imagine how devistated I'll feel if I failed.

I used InstantCert, Ken Burns videos, Sparknotes, Wikipedia and referenced 3 history books that I still have from prior classes.

Bama - we're all pullin' for ya! Sounds like you had all your bases covered on this one.
I bet time's gonna go by sooo s-l--o---w... Big Grin

Civil War - ShotoJuku - 06-05-2006

Bama Wrote:I took the Civil War and Reconstruction test today. 112 questions. I feel pretty confident that I passed; if so, I am a graduated man. I'm having the test delivered UPS overnight and requested a hand-scoring. I should know by tomorrow afternoon if I passed. I feel really confident I passed and can't imagine how devistated I'll feel if I failed.

[SIZE="3"]Just like Sherman who marched to the sea, I am sure that your victory will be a march to the graduation stage!!! BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!![/SIZE]

Civil War - RBOWMAN - 06-05-2006

Congrats on a job well done. Iam jealous!! What do they charge to hand grade and send the test overnight? Will any Dantes test center do this if paid to do so? You are the man. Congrats...BAMA, SLAMA, JAMA!!hilarious

Civil War - Bama - 06-05-2006

RBOWMAN Wrote:Congrats on a job well done. Iam jealous!! What do they charge to hand grade and send the test overnight? Will any Dantes test center do this if paid to do so? You are the man. Congrats...BAMA, SLAMA, JAMA!!hilarious

It costs $20 extra for a hand-grade. All they will do is grade and then call your institution and let them know if it is a pass or fail. They will still grade and send results as usual. You can request the test grading be expedited for an additional $25. Most schools don't accept a verbal reporting of the grade; in my case I just want and need to know if I passed. If I didn't pass then I need to get into a summer class ASAP.

As with most things with DSST, it is near imposssible to figure out their policys. Basically, you just need to enclose a hand written note or instructions requesting the hand-grading or expedited scoring. My testing center uses UPS for delivery and they will give me the tracking number; they usually use 2 day delivery. This means that I take the test on Monday, the test gets picked up on Tuesday and it arrives sometime on Thursday. I couldn't stand the wait. I convinced my test proctor to send it next day....I of course had to pay the extra cost of this delivery.

Civil War - brian_allen_1971 - 06-20-2006

Just wanted to know if there were alot of "dates" questions or not. Thanks

Civil War - ShotoJuku - 06-21-2006

brian_allen_1971 Wrote:Just wanted to know if there were alot of "dates" questions or not. Thanks

[SIZE="3"]There were general date questions as in you should know the year in which the war began, ended, when certain generals were relieved/replaced, when major battles occurred and such.[/SIZE]

Civil War - Cold_navy - 06-21-2006

Brian,

There are some dates, but the test really looks for the order in which events took place, who was at what battle, and major events. To be honest, IC covers this test really well. But if you get the chance, watch the Ken Burns PBS "Civil War". It puts a visual on what you've learned. Also, Civil War for Dummies is a good book.

Also, if you look on eBaY for the Ken Burns DVD's, they go for around $60-70. I know that sounds a bit pricey, but they have a wonderful resale value. I paid $55 w/ shipping and resold it for $70.

Best of luck,
Scott

Civil War - yutzyj - 06-21-2006

Cold_navy Wrote:Also, if you look on eBaY for the Ken Burns DVD's, they go for around $60-70. I know that sounds a bit pricey, but they have a wonderful resale value. I paid $55 w/ shipping and resold it for $70.

Best of luck,
Scott
Great idea, Scott. maybe you should think about changing to a business degree.hilarious

Civil War - snazzlefrag - 06-21-2006

Cold_Navy Wrote:I paid $55 w/ shipping and resold it for $70.
yutzyj Wrote:Great idea, Scott. maybe you should think about changing to a business degree.

Ha Ha Ha! Good one yutzyj!

Cold_Navy, a shrewd move....but remind me never to buy anything from you! Big Grin