Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Psych of Adulthood & Aging - Anyone? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Psych of Adulthood & Aging - Anyone? (/Thread-Psych-of-Adulthood-Aging-Anyone)

Psych of Adulthood & Aging - Anyone? - libartsmgr - 06-05-2006

Bueller?

I have a feeling that I'm probably one of about two people who are actually planning (or took) ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging...

I'm so over studying aging (just came off a Geronotology exam). But if I can pass this one (on Thursday) then I'll be 3 measly little credits from graduating... so if you're the other person who has taken it and have any feedback - I'd love to hear!

(I'm using the recommended text by Cavanaugh as well as the Spark notes suggested by others.)

Thanks!

Psych of Adulthood & Aging - Anyone? - libartsmgr - 06-10-2006

In my lone journey to pass this exam, I did learn a few things along the way.

Here's the rundown:
Know the demography of who lives longest (women in general and African Americans after reaching a certain age), most likely to be instutionalized (not Americans, only 5% of seniors are in nursing homes), know the stages of grief, aging, and pretty much anything that has stages (Erikson, Levinson, Super, Kubler-Ross...), know the types of counseling, depression, know the major mental affects of aging (fluid/crystalized intelligence - crystalized remains pretty constant throught life - fluid declines), the major instrument used to test intelligence (WAIS -Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale) and which subtests relate to which aspect of intelligence.

The other thing to seriously consider is to take this exam along with EC Foundations of Geronology. There is a LOT of overlap with each hitting on different aspects of aging. IMO Geronotolgy focuses more on the social aspect of aging and PAA focuses more on the clinical aspects of aging.

These two are a nice way to get 6 UL arts and sciences credits. It's also very helpful realworld info for people like us - those in the "sandwich generation" with kids and aging parents.

There are no flashcards on these two, you have to get the EC free guide and buy a book (only need 1 each from their list) I passed with the Hooyman Geronotolgy book and the Cavanaugh PAA book. Also use the tools the book has online by googling the ISBN to find the additional resources.

One last thought, if you're taking other exams like Sociology, Foundations of Counseling, Human Growth and Development or other psych/sociolgy exams, they also tie into these topics.

Good luck to everyone!

I have World Pop next, I'll post my thoughts on it as well...

Psych of Adulthood & Aging - Anyone? - yutzyj - 06-10-2006

thanks, Joanne, for the feedback. since i don't have everything planned out yet, this information may come in very handy.Smile

Psych of Adulthood & Aging - Anyone? - Librevore - 06-10-2006

Fantastic job! Thank you for the feeback. I haven't figured out what all I need to take yet but this test looks like one that will fit well. When it comes time, your imput will be very helpful.

And congratulations on passing another one! Sorry you had to blaze the path on this one alone.Smile

Librevore

Psych of Adulthood & Aging - Anyone? - MagicATC - 10-06-2006

I just got my results back from Excelsior for Adult & Aging and Gerontology. I got a B and C. I only used IC for Adult and Aging and decided to take both tests the same day. It was enough to pass both. I am not happy with a "C" but I guess I can't complain for a freebee. I studied for 1 week on IC.

Psych of Adulthood & Aging - Anyone? - ShotoJuku - 10-06-2006

MagicATC Wrote:I just got my results back from Excelsior for Adult & Aging and Gerontology. I got a B and C. I only used IC for Adult and Aging and decided to take both tests the same day. It was enough to pass both. I am not happy with a "C" but I guess I can't complain for a freebee. I studied for 1 week on IC.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]CONGRATS!!!!

I'll take a B or a C anyday over an F - Way to Go!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Psych of Adulthood & Aging - Anyone? - snazzlefrag - 10-06-2006

MagicATC Wrote:I just got my results back from Excelsior for Adult & Aging and Gerontology. I got a B and C. I only used IC for Adult and Aging and decided to take both tests the same day. It was enough to pass both. I am not happy with a "C" but I guess I can't complain for a freebee. I studied for 1 week on IC.

Congratulations Magic,

I find it interesting that you were able to pass both exams using only the IC Psychology of Adulthood & Aging section.

Well done,
Snazzlefrag