Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: question of sociology exam for experienced ppl (/Thread-question-of-sociology-exam-for-experienced-ppl)

Pages: 1 2

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - spazz - 06-08-2006

I have never taken a CLEP course before, so I dont really know what to expect. However, I am using InstantCerts sociology guide as well as a book I bought to read over. I have learned all the concepts that instantcert tests me on, however when answering the questions out of the book, I miss about half of them, and some of them are not related to anything that instantcert goes over. Could someone tell me if knowing the concepts instantcert teaches is enough to pass the sociology clep? And why might this be?

Thanks for your help and replies Smile

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - snazzlefrag - 06-09-2006

spazz Wrote:I have never taken a CLEP course before, so I dont really know what to expect. However, I am using InstantCerts sociology guide as well as a book I bought to read over. I have learned all the concepts that instantcert tests me on, however when answering the questions out of the book, I miss about half of them, and some of them are not related to anything that instantcert goes over. Could someone tell me if knowing the concepts instantcert teaches is enough to pass the sociology clep? And why might this be?

Hi Spazz,

Welcome to the board.

I can confirm that, for most people, Instantcert is enough to pass CLEP Sociology. I would consider Sociology to be among the easiest of the 22 exams I have taken so far.

Regarding the test you took in the textbook...

CLEP exams are designed to test your knowledge of the CENTRAL CONCEPTS of each subject. In addition to the core topics, Professor X in New York might teach his students various 'peripheral' concepts, and Professor Y in Oregon might teach his students an entirely different set of 'peripheral' concepts.

In addition, course texbooks are re-printed almost every single year (mostly for financial gain). So, in order to keep making money they must constantly be including new information, covering additional topics, adding new concepts. There are any number of different textbooks for each subject, and any number of re-prints of the very same textbook.

As you can see, the number of permutations of all those variables for just one subject is mind boggling.

It would be IMPOSSIBLE for one standardized, 90-minute exam to test our knowledge of every conceivable concept that every professor in every college, or every textbook ever printed could potentially cover.

Therefore, these exams narrow each subject down to the most important concepts that are likely to be taught in virtually EVERY college course, and included in virtually EVERY textbook on the subject.

There may well be certain questions which cover so-called 'peripheral' topics. But the vast majority of the questions on each exam will stick very closely to the central topics and concepts.

Instantcert strives to present enough of these central topics and concepts to, hopefully, allow us to pass each exam. Compact study guides such as REA, COMEX, Cliff's Notes etc., also strive to do the same.

So, if you study Instantcert thoroughly and then take a test in any one of the hundreds of 'non-standardized' textbooks, or were to sit an exam in any of the thousands of college courses offered by professors nationwide, it is very likely you WOULD encounter a LOT of questions not covered by Instantcert. A textbook can cover whatever it likes, and a professor can ask questions based specifically on what HE taught his students in one particular class (and even that might change from semester to semester).

The CLEP exams have no such freedom...and therefore, you will be much less likely to encounter questions that are not 'mainstream' or central to the subject's major concepts.

Anyway, that was rather long. I hope I have explained it adequately.

The bottom line is...As a matter of pure logistics, CLEP can only test you on the central 'standardized' concepts of each subject. Therefore, study guides such as Instantcert only need to present the central concepts....and it should be enough to pass (all other things being equal).

There are some subjects where Instantcert alone might not be enough to pass (or at least to pass well). Where this is the case, you should be able to find ample recommendations for supplementary resources made by members of this board.

There is also wisdom in studying more than one resource no matter which exam you are preparing for.

I hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - spazz - 06-09-2006

Thanks for the reply, very useful information about the clep. Although I am sorry I did not clarify my CLEP book I bought, but I used the REA CLEP sociology test guide, and was having trouble answering those two tests that they have in the book. I notice that some of the things instantcert covers are on the REA test, but most of it is applying it to a situation, which is much harder then just knowing the facts about sociology and I was wondering how are the questions? Are they mostly applying the concepts to a situation, or just knowing what the concepts are?

Thanks again!!

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - fondue - 06-09-2006

When I studied for the Sociology CLEP I used IC and backed up the concepts and people with Wikipedia. My total study time was two weeks, believe me it was more then enough to pass.

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - cbrchris - 06-09-2006

You could also take a few practice tests here: http://www.guidancenet.com/guidancenet/testprep.asp?sponsor=3519&tab=clep for Sociology as well as other CLEP test. You will need to register for the site but it's currently free.

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - homeslice - 06-09-2006

I also had the REA book. My strategy: I read the text in the book. I used Instacert's Sociology flash cards. Looking up (online) any concepts you don't quite understand or you find interest you will help you that much more.

I passed with a score that should give me an A using mainly InstantCert. I don't recall any "situation questions". It was like on the flashcards.

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - CaroM - 06-09-2006

I also used InstantCert and the REA book. Another tool I used were Peterson's practice tests (I think they were easier than the actual CLEP). I would warn you, though. Don't take this test too lightly. Yes, it was easy and I only studied a week for this one... but my score was not what I was expecting. I only got a 55 even though I was scoring high 60's on my practice tests. You'll do fine. Just remember that there's always that small chance of not passing. Good luck!Smile

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - beckysharp - 06-09-2006

Here's a fun approach to Sociolology.

http://www.sociologyonline.co.uk/quizzes/HangmanIdeas.htm

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - Sammy - 06-09-2006

I used REA and IC. I did dabble in a text book to read about anything that I didn't quite understand in the other sources. Don't get too bogged down though. The REA book is kind of weird but gives you a bit of practice as to the testing process. I think REA has a lot of impertainant info in the tests. Just make sure you review the ones you got wrong on the practise test of REA. I would recommend the petersons practice. There are 3 tests. http://www.petersons.com/airforce/clepcenter.asp?sponsor=8
If this is your first test, practice and be well prepared. Then you can gauge how much you really need to study for your other exams from how well you do. I got a 68 on sociology but that was my lowest score and I studied pretty long and hard. The test is somewhat tough but I am sure you will do well.

question of sociology exam for experienced ppl - ShotoJuku - 06-10-2006

spazz Wrote:I have never taken a CLEP course before, so I dont really know what to expect. However, I am using InstantCerts sociology guide as well as a book I bought to read over. I have learned all the concepts that instantcert tests me on, however when answering the questions out of the book, I miss about half of them, and some of them are not related to anything that instantcert goes over. Could someone tell me if knowing the concepts instantcert teaches is enough to pass the sociology clep? And why might this be?

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]
Hey Spazz - Welcome to the IC group!!

I really have nothing more to add but will just add a mere .02 cents worth of info.

IC & REA for this one - YOU WILL PASS!!!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]