Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Any Ex-Nukes out there? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Any Ex-Nukes out there? (/Thread-Any-Ex-Nukes-out-there)

Any Ex-Nukes out there? - wfb0l2c - 09-24-2006

I'm just curious to see if there are any IC members who are ex-nukes. If so, what degrees are being pursued? I'm pursuing a BST w/an Electronics/Instrumentation specialty from Excelsior College and am currently enrolled in an English Comp class at the local community college. My next two exams will be DANTES MIS and CLEP Spanish. ONLY 21 credits to go!

Ridge

CLEP
History of U.S. I - 56
Intro to Sociology - 63
Intro to Psychology - 61
Used REA Books

DANTES
Principles of Supervision
Ethics in America
Intro to Computing
Used InstantCert - Took tests this week

Any Ex-Nukes out there? - 20yr plan man - 12-12-2006

I am new to IC forums, but I am a nuke. Truth be told I am an ex-Navy nuke but still in the same field at a commercial power plant. I am trying, still, to get my BST in Nuclear Technology. I am within striking distance. All I need is Ethics, 6 hrs in Arts & Science and 1 hr of math >college algebra. Hopefully I will be done before summer. I hope to take Ethics DSST, American Gov't CLEP and maybe Physical Science or American HistoryII.

Best of luck to you,

20yr Plan Man

Any Ex-Nukes out there? - wfb0l2c - 12-13-2006

20yr PM,

My original question was in reference to Navy Nukes. It sounds like we have traveled similar paths. I spent six years as a Navy Nuke and have been working in the commercial nuke industry for the last 14yrs.
As far as DSST Ethics, study IC and you won't have any trouble with the exam. How do you plan to earn the last hr of math? I still need 5hr > college level algebra.

Any Ex-Nukes out there? - stitches013 - 01-08-2007

Hey there! I am a fellow ex-Nuke. I am just starting out on my degree path. I spent 6 years on the Enterprise and Nimitz, been out for 7 years.

Any Ex-Nukes out there? - wfb0l2c - 01-08-2007

stitches013 Wrote:Hey there! I am a fellow ex-Nuke. I am just starting out on my degree path. I spent 6 years on the Enterprise and Nimitz, been out for 7 years.

Stitches,

Why are you enrolling right away? Why not spend the $65 for an unofficial evaluation, and then just knock off the tests?

Any Ex-Nukes out there? - stitches013 - 01-08-2007

I have not actually enrolled yet. I just have not updated my sig file. I have a spreadsheet with all the classes I need to take, but have a few questions about the requirements. Namely the labs and the communications requirements. Did you happen to have any lab requirements for the BST? I do not plan on enrolling until I have all the base requirements met for the degree. There are 3 classes I will actually have to take to get the degree and I am saving the enrollment until I am finished with everything else. I think we are on the same page about the enrollment fee and doing all the pre-req's for it!

~Rich

Any Ex-Nukes out there? - wfb0l2c - 01-09-2007

stitches013 Wrote:Did you happen to have any lab requirements for the BST?

~Rich

Rich,

No lab requirements for the BST (listed in my unofficial evaluation).

Any Ex-Nukes out there? - stitches013 - 01-16-2007

Thanks for the inputs! I appreciate them! Would you happen to have a generic list of credits needed by nukes to complete the degree you are seeking? I might consider getting a BST if it would be a little easier. How about Calculus? Is that a requirement for you?

~Rich

Any Ex-Nukes out there? - wfb0l2c - 01-17-2007

stitches013 Wrote:Would you happen to have a generic list of credits needed by nukes to complete the degree you are seeking? How about Calculus? Is that a requirement for you?

~Rich

Hey Rich,

I've attached the spreadsheet I made, which is based on my unofficial evaluation from EC. There is no getting around Calculus. My eval stated that I needed 5sh in math above the level of College Algebra. I took a STAT class back in 93 and EC awards ex nukes 2sh-College Alg and 2sh-Precalc. Good Luck.