Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
comparison on ways to get 3 algebra credits....uggh!!!!
I have done something really stupid. I am finishing my Capstone at COSC and am ready to graduate....except for one crucial piece.

I have put off finishing College Algebra through ALEKS and feel like I'm hitting a brick wall! I zipped through the Beginning Algebra. It went so well that I felt skipping right to College Algebra was doable.

With being downsized at work and the new job hunt, along with carrying a full courseload through COSC/CSU I just procrastinated too long! Should have been doing it all along, I certainly knew better.

At this point it feels like ALEKS may take forever and so I'm considering my other options. I know it's a relative question, but what is the current consensus on straighterline college algabra? Anywhere else I can get the credits? My local CC will require basci/intermediate/CA so it would be a non starter.

Maybe I need to just suck it up, sequester myself somewhere, and slog through ALEKS....I'm not in a happy place right now Sad

Thoughts?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
If you're going for the absolute quickest route, I would say rather than locking yourself in a room with ALEKS, take a week or so to study for the College Math CLEP if that will work for you. I actually started out with ALEKS just like you did and found that it was taking too long. After ALEKS helped me brush up on my very rusty math skills, I then used IC, youtube and the specific feedback forum to study just enough to barely pass, though I'm sure with just a few extra days of study, I could have gotten a better score. I just don't really care for math and didn't want to do any more than I had to. Wink
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I'm on a straighterline kick, so that would be my recommendation. It is cheap and you can progress as fast as you want. I already have college algebra so I do not know about the class per se, but I see it is only 4 exams for 75 pts each and 1 final for 200. If it is like the other classes, it will be multiple choice, which helps. In addition you get 10 hrs of Smarthinking tutoring that could help you with any of the assignment problems. I would presume that there are non graded assignments that you can practice with. As for the tutoring, I used ST to ask a precalc question and found them to be very helpful, helping me work through the problem.
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
BSAST Health Services Technology 2012
AA General Ed 2012
AAS Medical Laboratory Technician HCC 1994

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!
rebel100 Wrote:I have done something really stupid. I am finishing my Capstone at COSC and am ready to graduate....except for one crucial piece.

I have put off finishing College Algebra through ALEKS and feel like I'm hitting a brick wall! I zipped through the Beginning Algebra. It went so well that I felt skipping right to College Algebra was doable.

With being downsized at work and the new job hunt, along with carrying a full courseload through COSC/CSU I just procrastinated too long! Should have been doing it all along, I certainly knew better.

At this point it feels like ALEKS may take forever and so I'm considering my other options. I know it's a relative question, but what is the current consensus on straighterline college algebra? Anywhere else I can get the credits? My local CC will require basci/intermediate/CA so it would be a non starter.

Maybe I need to just suck it up, sequester myself somewhere, and slog through ALEKS....I'm not in a happy place right now Sad

Thoughts?

Well, where are you at on College Algebra? I mean if you're at 12% that's a different answer than if you're at 65%. Id say if you are over 50%, use the Mathway website to help you work out the questions that are stumping you. Print out your explanation pages on ALEKS, and have everything with you as you work. My son is at 60% on this same course, I feel your pain.
Now, if you're not even done with 1/3 of it and hitting the wall, you need to rethink it. It's only easy if it's review, to learn it all new (like me!) is a much slower process.
I second Burb's suggestion to try college math. It's general education math with functions and stats. It that sounds doable, you might make greater gains. If you've already taken stats, and since you've already taken beg. algebra, you might ALREADY be ready for this exam.
I have a question Aleks on this as well. If I'm at 60% and work my way up to 70%, do I need to retake an assessment, or will my progress be enough for credit to be granted.
martialartist Wrote:I have a question Aleks on this as well. If I'm at 60% and work my way up to 70%, do I need to retake an assessment, or will my progress be enough for credit to be granted.

Yes, an assessment. Progress isn't evaluated, only your assessment score- so you don't need to be at 70% on progress, in fact, if on your FIRST DAY of ALEKS you score a 70% or higher, you've passed, even with 0% of your pie completed. On the flip side, you could complete 100% of your pie, but until you can pull off a 70% on your assessment, you ain't done! :coolgleam:
I did straighterline algebra in a week and was so rusty in math I could squeak. I tried Alex and hated it, but found with just a bit of studying that the straighterline course was easie, piecie for me.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
Thanks to everyone for their input, it's much appreciated.

Frankie, this is what ia was wondering about. Can you detail exactly how the course is set up? I know it's 4 quizzes and a final. All work done at home without a proctor correct? Are the exams open book so that one could look at their notes and or examples? how much is covered on each quiz? Can I assume the final is comprehensive? DId you buy the book?

frankiebleyes Wrote:I did straighterline algebra in a week and was so rusty in math I could squeak. I tried Alex and hated it, but found with just a bit of studying that the straighterline course was easie, piecie for me.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 587 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,195 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 474 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,789 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,525 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,767 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 21 1,648 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 870 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee