Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Straighterline New Proctor Policy Change
Hello everyone,

I just got word that Straighterline will be changing their policy to require paying for ProctorU. This will go into effect for everyone! Even if you already signed up for an account and you were told you would only pay a monthly fee of $99 +$39 per class. Now everyone will have to pay more money to complete their class. This is the classic bait and switch technique! Please join me in sending an email to bsmith@straighterline.com and advisor@straighterline.com to protest this change.
I feel that there should have been a grandfathering system, but this was probably done from a marketing/pricing structure standpoint. They obviously want ot raise their tuition/cut cost but didn't want to mess with their $99 price format (sound better than $139, or whatever). So they require payment for proctorU to keep their pricing the same. Either way, you'll probably see an increase by whater proctorU costs whether you win this protest or not.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Does anyone know how or when this will be put in place? I have three classes going now and I hope I can finish them before they make the change. I agree a grandfathering system should be put in place.
Hey Jason, does this count for students even whose partner colleges do not require proctor exams for the Straighterline courses they take?

Even at $139 it's still a bargain. However, it shouldn't be applied to students who don't require the proctored examinations anyway. WGU for example require proctored examinations. TESC does not.

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
It further mentions that certain accounts can and will be flagged prior to the Nov 1 change, these flagged accounts will be required to re-take the final exam with proctoring.
The flagged accounts are for students completing a high number of courses in a very short period of time.
In addition each proctored test will be $30 requiring a 72 hour notice, and if you want it the same day, they tack on $8.75.

So basically it's $99 a month and $69 per class now, which is a still a decent deal.
The thing I can't understand is the open book proctoring? They allow ebooks, which are easily searchable, so why even proctor the exam if this allowed?
I am a self-proclaimed searching master, without knowing the material I am confident I can pass quantum physics exam as a long as I can search for the solutions, formulas and content in an ebook.
Proctoring and Exam Details by Course - StraighterLine
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
Just read the page on straighterline about proctoring, I am going to finish my one class that has a final before the Nov 1st deadline and hope I don't get flagged.

It looks as though both english comp 1 and 2 wont have this since there is no final exam, just quizes and written assignments. So I hope I am safe there.
hmuchmo1 Wrote:It further mentions that certain accounts can and will be flagged prior to the Nov 1 change, these flagged accounts will be required to re-take the final exam with proctoring.
The flagged accounts are for students completing a high number of courses in a very short period of time.
In addition each proctored test will be $30 requiring a 72 hour notice, and if you want it the same day, they tack on $8.75.

So basically it's $99 a month and $69 per class now, which is a still a decent deal.
The thing I can't understand is the open book proctoring? They allow ebooks, which are easily searchable, so why even proctor the exam if this allowed?
I am a self-proclaimed searching master, without knowing the material I am confident I can pass quantum physics exam as a long as I can search for the solutions, formulas and content in an ebook.
Proctoring and Exam Details by Course - StraighterLine

Where did you read that they will be flagging past student's account to retake the final?

And do you know how far they will be going back on past students?
Grant us wisdom from Thy mind, courage from Thine heart, strength from Thine arm, and protection by Thine hand. It is for Thee that we do battle, and to Thee belongs the victor's crown.
Okay now I don't agree with this. So if a student studys hard and wants to complete a course in a short time, they will get in trouble? Flagged?

I suggest everyone who completed courses and haven't yet told Straighterline to release it to ACE, do it now. Once ACE has it on your ACE transcript, nothing Straighterline can do at that point.

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
Quote from their FAQ page..
How online proctoring proctoring works - StraighterLine

Under our current policy, student accounts may be flagged and require a proctored retake even if the exam is taken prior to November 1, 2012. We typically flag accounts where a student completes a relatively high number of courses during a short period of time, though we know many of our students can and do work their courses quickly in many cases, especially where they come with prior knowledge of the subject.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
Where did you learn of this change in policy? I am taking my first and only Straighterline class and I never got notice of this. I just took my mid-term last night with no notice. I need to get this class done ASAP I have already applied for Graduation at TESC.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College Algebra no Proctor smilingtimes 11 2,262 09-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: QuickDegree223
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 596 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Proctor U (Proctor FU) with Coopersmith... still just as bad studyingfortests 11 1,886 05-22-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 811 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 605 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 649 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
  Columbia College - Missouri, Second BA policy vintage_jacket 9 1,067 09-08-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,052 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  In ‘Historic’ Vote, UVA Students Vote to Change 180-Year-Old Honor Policy LevelUP 0 829 03-10-2022, 08:40 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 864 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM