Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just took my final exams for a few Penn Foster course and wow
They were much more intensive then I could have imagined. Each of the three courses I took had 4 online exams and a final written proctored exam. The online exams were multiple choice and fairly easy(I did one course without the book using common sense and general knowledge)

So I figured the final exams would be about the same....NOPE 20 essay questions the first few questions requiring at least 1-2 paragraphs per answer. Now that might not sound that bad, but what really killed me was the hour time limit for each test. As I'm searching the book for answers trying to write a few paragraphs I see the clock ticking down. I guess all in all it wasn't horrible I just felt a bit blindsided, taking four easy multiple choice tests and then boom all essay final.

/rant
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
Penn Foster's final exams are open book?
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits
Which courses did you take? I was under the impression that you had to find a proctor and the test was pencil/paper for PF courses. Is that not the case?
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
JBtesc Wrote:Penn Foster's final exams are open book?
Yes.

HorseManiac Wrote:Which courses did you take? I was under the impression that you had to find a proctor and the test was pencil/paper for PF courses. Is that not the case?

Organized Crime, Correctional Institutions, and Crisis Intervention.

Yes, you need a local proctor for the final exam. And they are paper based.
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
ironheadjack Wrote:Organized Crime, Correctional Institutions, and Crisis Intervention.

Yes, you need a local proctor for the final exam. And they are paper based.

Oh, ok. I guess I didn't know about the online exams. Smile
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
You sign into Penn Foster's online student service and all of your exams for the course are there. All 3 of my courses had 4 online exams and a proctored final. Once you finish all of your exams, a little tab will show up saying Proctored Final. You need to get the form from PF have your proctor fill it out and send it back to PF. And they will mail your exams out.
Arnold Fletcher Award

Unrelated question someone will hopefully know...

Will TESC accept a Penn Foster transcript and simply verify that the course are ACE reviewed or do they need to be on an ACE transcript? PF charged me $10 upfront for transcripts and I doubt I will ever use this service.
Arnold Fletcher Award

Just wanted to add that even though the final exams threw me for a loop. Penn Foster customer service is Awesome! Ann Gardner in military support staff is super-duper helpful. I wasn't aware that you had to finish all of your online exams before proctored finals were released. I jumped the gun once I finished the first two and told ACE that I was done, last night I got the email that ACE couldn't give me credit because PF said they weren't completed. PF called me this morning to follow up with me, and was very pleasant to deal with. For what it's worth I highly recommend PF for individual courses, if you need options other then CLEP/DSST/SL etc.
Arnold Fletcher Award

ironheadjack Wrote:They were much more intensive then I could have imagined. Each of the three courses I took had 4 online exams and a final written proctored exam. The online exams were multiple choice and fairly easy(I did one course without the book using common sense and general knowledge)

So I figured the final exams would be about the same....NOPE 20 essay questions the first few questions requiring at least 1-2 paragraphs per answer. Now that might not sound that bad, but what really killed me was the hour time limit for each test. As I'm searching the book for answers trying to write a few paragraphs I see the clock ticking down. I guess all in all it wasn't horrible I just felt a bit blindsided, taking four easy multiple choice tests and then boom all essay final.

/rant

My associates in CJ is from Penn Foster and no question about it, every time I took my proctors, on just about every one, I ran up to the end of my 1 hr. limit. Even though it's open book, you'd better know the material because you don't have time to look everything up.
Are you certain the final exams are open book? I take the same online college, striving for a different category/career choice, of course but when I reviewed the essentials for the proctor exam, it said it was closed-book..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,413 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 495 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Anybody taken any certification exams (CPA, CIA, CFE, etc.)? kevinmane 9 2,339 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: lisarox
Information New Batch of Microsoft Exams are now ACE(data, cloud, cs, UL) MNomadic 5 1,359 04-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: jch
  Canadians that lived in foster care, free university cerich67 3 1,223 01-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Davissio
  Cambridge International Exams - A Level or AS Level exams Lydclrk 1 695 09-17-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
Exclamation Is Sophia similar to Study in terms of course format and allow Open Book exams? OP88 4 1,293 05-26-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Penn Foster College Ace Credit Expirations okikuma 15 4,051 05-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Pearson OnVUE - Online Excelsior Exams bjcheung77 5 1,316 09-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: nomaduser