Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LinkedIn privacy settings
Today LinkedIn suggested that I might know one of the frequent posters in these forums. Just to set the proper context, it is a person with whom I've exchanged personal emails directly. She has my email address and I have hers. But currently LinkedIn has no access to my personal address book. I hope it hasn't had access in the past, but I've had the account so long I really can't prove that.

Could LinkedIn have made the suggestion by mining her email address book? If her email address book is shared with her LinkedIn account, maybe my name in her email address book could prompt a suggestion in my LinkedIn account that she is someone I might know.

Here is how to keep LinkedIn from snooping in your personal address books: https://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/de...376/ft/eng Of course if won't undo the damage already done.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I've had similar things happen to me. By default, LinkedIn will look in your e-mail contacts to suggest other people you know who have LinkedIn accounts. I've received a couple of connection requests from people from another forum I help run. I think LinkedIn associated my alternate e-mail account with my profile (even though that wasn't the account I used to register for LinkedIn) because I was signed into it when I made the account. Both of them are good people, but I was a little surprised to get a request from them.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
I'll go ahead and jump in, I don't mind being transparent. So, since I don't use LinkedIn, I think the only way I would have been suggested to CLEP3705 is probably through our email? My education is listed in LinkedIn, so maybe there is some type of keyword process that is suggesting me. That, or it's so we can find new places to banter about! hilarious
Yup, you are absolutely correct, Linkedin is known for mining email accounts. I know personally it has suggested individuals for every email thats in my account. I also believe they keep IP information for contact suggestions also, as I had a relative use the site on my computer once, and they suggested all of their contacts for me to add.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post formatting settings ? Chimera 2 344 03-19-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Would you keep a part time job listed on your LinkedIn Vle045 3 787 04-26-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  DegreeForum LinkedIn Networking ashkir 16 1,952 05-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  LinkedIn Anyone? ShotoJuku 28 4,519 02-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  LinkedIN and other job fishing holes High_Order1 21 3,863 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  LinkedIn StoicJ 21 3,494 07-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? soliloquy 6 1,289 05-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  LinkedIn koenigtv 10 2,044 02-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Last Post: nleamons
  LinkedIn BMWGuinness 2 1,769 01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Last Post: BMWGuinness