Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU vs PATTEN
I am looking into these two schools for Grad school after I finish COSC in the fall. I am 90% sure I will end up going to WGU, although I am pretty interested in Patten as well.

First off a great blog about finishing a WGU MBA in 4.5 Months ... How I Did an MBA in 4.5 Months at WGU Online Keep in mind it looks like this guy was a Stanford undergrad.

Here is a great blog about Patten Four Month MBA | Getting my degree in 123 days

WGU has a lot going for it, mainly a great reputation & Non profit. (Check Rebel post for in depth look). One of the things about WGU is they just changed their curriculum in the MBA program last year and there is not a ton out there reviewing the new curriculum. I have to admit I am not a fan of all the tests in the new MBA, and after talking to the enrollment people some classes have a paper and test to pass and you have to get an 80% on both to pass (Lots of classes with just tests as well).

At Patten each course has a paper or project and a test, what I really like is the 80% is an average, so you could do well on one (Mainly projects) and average on the other. I think that is a real advantage for Patten, and should not be overlooked. I also like the fact that Patten has a ton of MBA concentrations to choose from, where WGU only has a general MBA and IT and Healthcare ones. (On a side note it is very frustrating that neither offer a Marketing concentration). Patten also has 4 month terms (which I love), and is a late cheaper for people looking to finish in 4-8 months vs 6-12 months at WGU. Patten is for profit which sucks, and it being so new (being unheard of is a good thing for the For-Profits) scares the crap out of me that they will not be around in 5-10 years.

Ultimately I will most likely end going after the WGU MBA, they have a great reputation and I feel like there are on the rise and will most likely become the top online school. In fives years in terms of degrees from online schools I feel WGU is going to stand above the rest and become the only truly, truly, respected online school. I mean the White House is talking about them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dnQEe2Z8Qc - Their AD campaign is hands down the best of all online schools (partly due to the fact that they are non-profit and awesome).

I will most likely end up at WGU, but there is a lot to like about Patten.
Patten has actually been around since 1944. I believe they were a private first and when failing they sold out to a for profit. Affordable Online Learning | Online School | Patten University Not necessarily a bad thing, AMU/APU is a for profit that has earned respect, Patten can do the same thing.

Perhaps the thing I like best about Patten is the monthly payment plans...I hate student debt (yes I have some). Patten makes it pretty easy to self fund your education without breaking the bank. The costs between the two are actually quite close:

Affordable Online Learning | Online School | Patten University Around $5988/year (3 semesters of 4 months)
Affordable Accredited Online University | WGU Tuition and Fees | Western Governors University $6500/year (2 semesters of 6 months)

There are stories of people finishing both in just a single semester....but these are almost certain to always be the exception not the rule. If I was trying that I might still go WGU for the extra two months worth of time to finish.

Both schools get expensive if for some reason it takes you awhile to finish...I suspect a lot more folks are at 2 years + than there are that finish in a single semester.

I think either are great choices....especially since WGU changed up the format (under the old format they were hands down the best choice in my opinion, but I like to write).
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Oooh! Patten added more concentrations. I like their Information Technology concentration more than the Information Technology Management one at WGU. It's a little more technical. If you don't plan on continuing to a doctoral program, one bonus about Patten's MBA programs is that they don't require a capstone project unless Strategic Management is their capstone.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Why shoehorn yourself into attempting to get an MBA in only 6 months?
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Yanji Wrote:Why shoehorn yourself into attempting to get an MBA in only 6 months?

Did the OP say that s/he is trying to get an MBA in 6 months? I think I missed that.

In any case, I can think of lots of reasons someone would want to do that. I love a challenge but that one wouldn't be for me.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
Yanji Wrote:Why shoehorn yourself into attempting to get an MBA in only 6 months?
Agreed, I was only pointing out that once you hit the two year mark with Patten or WGU you're approaching the price of more traditional schools. Just need to be aware of what your gaining and losing. Smile
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
ladylearner Wrote:Did the OP say that s/he is trying to get an MBA in 6 months? I think I missed that.

In any case, I can think of lots of reasons someone would want to do that. I love a challenge but that one wouldn't be for me.
Well, OP mentioned it in their post and is also only considering programs in which it is possible to do so, so in the context of this thread, that is their intention. Regardless, it's good to consider your options. Even if the tuition is cheap, it is real money you have to pay and real time you have to spend, so it's important to choose the right program.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

If there is anything I regret about WGU it's the lack of an established alumni support and impotent career services. There is an opportunity cost of choosing such a program over an established school. But frankly had I not done it the way I did, I simply wouldn't have a masters right now...cost was the biggest driver for me.
AS in EMS August 2010

Yanji Wrote:Well, OP mentioned it in their post and is also only considering programs in which it is possible to do so, so in the context of this thread, that is their intention. Regardless, it's good to consider your options. Even if the tuition is cheap, it is real money you have to pay and real time you have to spend, so it's important to choose the right program.

My goal is 8-12 Months for the MBA. The purpose of the post was to point out some of the things I like about WGU and some of the things I like about Patten, and provide helpful links to info on both programs.

I am looking at those two schools because competency based programs fit my learning style. If I were in a two year program I would lose interest, and my effort would suffer, but thats just how I learn. I do not due well with in tradition programs. Competency works best for me because I am list/task orientated person, and my effort would look like a roller coaster. I can get a lot done quickly, and other times I am lazy.

I really like WGU, and Patten is growing on me.

When comparing the programs I cannot say enough how I like Patten's 80% average for the class vs WGU 80% on both assessments.
Goblue34 Wrote:At Patten each course has a paper or project and a test, what I really like is the 80% is an average, so you could do well on one (Mainly projects) and average on the other. I think that is a real advantage for Patten, and should not be overlooked.

Goblue34 Wrote:When comparing the programs I cannot say enough how I like Patten's 80% average for the class vs WGU 80% on both assessments.

As someone who got an MBA from WGU... I thought I'd chime in here about WGU assessments, particularly performance assessments. When I did my MBA, every course was a performance assessment (meaning papers) or software simulation or both. (From what I've heard they've added in some proctored tests at the Masters level also.) One thing to understand about performance assessments is that if you do not pass it the first time you submit it, you get it back with notes about where you went wrong. The goal is developing understanding, so you can correct papers and resubmit them multiple times if needed. All the courses are pass / fail, so when your papers get approved you move on. With proctored exams (which they use a lot of at the bachelor level) they provide practice exams and (just like with the performance assessment) if you don't pass it the first time you take it that isn't the only opportunity you have.

I thought that might be a significant point to bring up since most places don't give you more than one chance to make the grade.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MBA - WGU vs. JFK (Patten) sanantone 7 1,888 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters Help Patten Replacement armstrongsubero 12 2,618 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Patten University Closing chorizo 9 5,834 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM
  Patten University MBA Finishers? RANSOMSOUL 20 7,903 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Patten MBA Review study0019 12 4,016 05-05-2018, 09:13 PM
  Patten MBA germ 7 2,145 02-21-2018, 06:57 AM
  Transferring Credits from Patten University Andrew670 5 2,734 12-11-2017, 03:08 AM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  Is patten difficult? creditmonsoon 11 2,866 03-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: armyb77
  WGU MS in Accounting or Patten MBA in Finance? xbrad2 4 1,607 10-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Last Post: xbrad2
  Patten MBA Feedback Andrew670 36 6,270 07-14-2016, 11:11 PM