Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Mutual Fund is basically a monopoly in disguise?
I read an interesting article on Slate:

Basically Mutual Funds and institutional investors create monopoly like conditions similar to the trusts of old.

Mutual funds make air travel more expensive: Institutional investors reduce competition.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
From the article, "As they point out, the investment management company BlackRock is the top shareholder of the three largest banks in the United States; BlackRock is also the largest shareholder of Apple and Microsoft. The companies that are the top five shareholders of CVS are also the top five shareholders of Walgreens. (And yes, one of them is BlackRock.) Institutional investors dominate the economy."

I think it is good idea to own the shares of BlackRock ( BLK). Big Grin The stock is doing very well. If you can't beat them, join them! Thanks for the tip, Prloko!Smile
My concern with mutual funds - and I use them for my IRAs, etc., - is that they don't take a stand. If I directly owned stock in XYZ Corp., and they wanted to pay outlandish salaries to the upper management, you'd bet your bottom dollar that I'd be voting that board out quickly. I don't think mutual funds operate that way. (In fact, I often wonder if their isn't an incestuous relationship between the funds and the corporations in which they buy stock. For instance, I work for Goldblock Mutual Fund and I'm the expert in... widgets. What's to stop me from leaving Goldblock, and taking a job with a widget company? What's to stop me from encouraging Goldblock to buy stock in my future employer before I leave?)

It would be interesting to see if there's any correlation between the increase of mutual fund ownership by the average American, and the increase in salaries at the executive level.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I am a cranky bear. All of my annuity is in guaranteed income fund making just enough to beat inflation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,653 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Massively Open Online Courses: The new threat to the college monopoly dcan 4 1,089 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer